Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
40 views
Engl. I(6th) > Attitudes

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
What is Okonkwo's attitude toward feasts?


message 2: by Xavier (last edited Sep 27, 2012 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xavier Benni | 26 comments Okonkwos attitude towards feasts is he isn't really that fond of them. At one time he was so irriteted that he called a man a woman because he had no titles and that is frowned apon at feasts. I very much agree with u Kathryn because I too read that page and thought the same thing but it seems to me that he likes farming yams much more than anything else. He thinks feasts are a waste of time and he would much rather use his time to get stuff done like plant or harvest his yams, or even work on his hut.


message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn (kathycat) | 22 comments Xavier wrote: "Okonkwos attitude towards feasts is he isn't really that fond of them. One time he was so irriteted that he called a man a woman because he had no titles and that is frowned apon at feasts."

While this is true, Xavier, the reason he calls the man a women is because he has no titles. Okonkwo is simply not enthusiastic about feasts. This is illustrated on page 37 when the author ,Achebe , mentions about Okonkwo that " He would be very much happier working on his farm".


message 4: by Kai (new)

Kai | 33 comments As Kathryn said, "Okonkwo could never become as enthusiastic over feasts as most people". He dislikes waiting for the feasts, or getting them over with. He feels the time could be better spent on the farm. I disagree with Xavier though, because Okonkwo's insult to the other man had nothing to do with the feast, but it was because the man didn't have a title.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Kathryn it clearly explains his feelings toward festivals on page 37: "But somehow Okonkwo could never become as enthusiastic over feasts as most people........But he was always uncomfortable sitting around for days waiting for a feast or getting over it. He would be very much happier working on his farm."
Okonkwo is strictly the working type so its very irritating for him having to sit around for days not getting any work done.


message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 16 comments Kai wrote: "As Kathryn said, "Okonkwo could never become as enthusiastic over feasts as most people". He dislikes waiting for the feasts, or getting them over with. He feels the time could be better spent on t..."
I do agree with Kai because Okonkwo was "uncomfortable sitting around for days waiting for a feast or getting over it.He was very much happier working on his farm."The New Yam feast was to give thanks to Ani the earth goddess.


message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 24 comments Vanessa wrote: "I agree with Kathryn it clearly explains his feelings toward festivals on page 37: "But somehow Okonkwo could never become as enthusiastic over feasts as most people........But he was always uncom..."

Kathryn wrote: "Xavier wrote: "Okonkwos attitude towards feasts is he isn't really that fond of them. One time he was so irriteted that he called a man a woman because he had no titles and that is frowned apon at ..."

I agree with Kathryn, Xavier, and Vanessa. Okonkwo clearly dislikes feasts. This is stated on page 37, when Achebe writes "Okonkwo could never become as enthusiasticover feasts as most people ... He was always uncomfortable sitting around for days waiting for a feast or geting over it." Okonkwo felt his time was put to better use when he was farming. He often became testy when a feast was approaching. On page 38 Achebe states that he beat his second wife, Ekwefi for cutting off a few leaves off a banana tree. I think this beating was actually a result of nervousness stemming from the feast.


message 8: by Isaiah (last edited Sep 15, 2012 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isaiah Armijo | 28 comments Kristen wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "I agree with Kathryn it clearly explains his feelings toward festivals on page 37: "But somehow Okonkwo could never become as enthusiastic over feasts as most people........But he ..."

He defiantly dislike just sitting around especially during the New Yam feast. He rather by working and planting yams, but he could still eat. Achebe states this on page 37, "He was a good eater and He could drink one or two fairly big gourds of palm-wine". Even though he could eat he still didnt like it. Before the Yam feast began Okonkwo found reason to blow of the steam that had been anxiously building up inside him. A dead banana tree was at the cause, Ekwefi had cut some branches from it yet it was not dead. He beet his wife senseless and almost shot her. This reenforces his deep hatred for this feast.


message 9: by Zane (last edited Sep 28, 2012 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zane Flannery | 27 comments Kathryn wrote: "Xavier wrote: "Okonkwos attitude towards feasts is he isn't really that fond of them. One time he was so irriteted that he called a man a woman because he had no titles and that is frowned apon at ..."

I agree with this because in many feasts and even small celabratory meals he sat there brooding tryning not to enjoy it because his father loved feasts. He also hated being around people who made fools of temselves or loved fiests themselves. I also agree with Isiah saying that he hated to be idle and wait because it said in the book that "'... if it had happened during planting or harvesting season I would have bean fine.'"


message 10: by Sarai (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments I agree with Kathryn, Vanessa,and Kai. Okonkwo did not like feasts as other people. It talks about it on pg.37. But it also mensions that for food he was Really good at that. He could be able to drink one or two big Really big gourds of palm wine. He did not enjoy just sitting around waiting for it to be over. He would be much better working on his farm. I think he thinks it's a waist of time and that Time could be used for something better.


Benhanna | 27 comments Kai wrote: "As Kathryn said, "Okonkwo could never become as enthusiastic over feasts as most people". He dislikes waiting for the feasts, or getting them over with. He feels the time could be better spent on t..."
i agree with Kai about how Okonkwo disliked feasts and was uncomfortable at them. I do not agree with the reason that he insulted the man. Kai said that "it was because the man had no tittles"
but it was that the man had contradicted what Okonkwo had said, so Okonkwo insulted the man with the fact that he had no tittles by calling him a woman.


message 12: by Marianne (last edited Sep 22, 2012 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marianne Lara | 26 comments Sarai wrote: "I agree with Kathryn, Vanessa,and Kai. Okonkwo did not like feasts as other people. It talks about it on pg.37. But it also mensions that for food he was Really good at that. He could be able to dr..."

I agree with all of you. "Somehow Okonkwo could never become enthusiastic about the feasts as most people" page 37, Okonkwo disliked feasts because he saw it as a waste of time and unimportant and would rather go work on his farm. He was uncomfortable with waiting for days for it be over, he wasn't very patient. But he did say he was a good eater and could "drink one or two fairly gourds of palm-wine" page 37


message 13: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Sena | 26 comments Okonkwo wasn't very fond of feasts even though he could eat a lot and drink plenty of palm wine he just didn't like the wait for a feast, sitting around and doing nothing or just trying to get over the feast he preferred to work on his farm.


message 14: by Samara (new) - added it

Samara | 15 comments Okonkwo wasn't really excited about the feasts he would rather spend his time working on his farm gathering yams. He thought sitting around eating, and drinking was a big waste of time. Okonkwo was a very impatient man, and he didn't like to wait for anybody.


message 15: by Mona (new)

Mona Chavarria | 29 comments Okonkwo is a very hard working man. He does whatever it takes to get stuff done and keeps himself busy. As it says on page 37; "But somehow Okonkwo could never be enthusiastic over feasts as most people. He was a good eater and could drink fairly big gourds of palm wine. But he was always uncomfortable sitting around for days waiting for a feast or getting over it. He would be much happier working on his farm then getting ready for this. Unlike the rest of the tribe who would get festival about the feast. Okonkwo is very focused on trying not to be like his father.


back to top