Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Engl. I(6th) > Ikwefi

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
Briefly summarize the story of Iwkefi. What kind of a woman is she?

message 2: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 13, 2012 02:28PM) (new) - added it

Kathryn (kathycat) | 22 comments Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She is a great wrestaling enthusiast. He had "won her heart by throwing the Cat" page 39. At the time this had happened he had been to poor to pay her bride price; she married a different man. Several years later she left her husband and went to Okonkwo. She is a very determined and loving mother , this is proved on page 85 when she watches carefully over her daughter Ezinma while she is very sick.

message 3: by Xavier (last edited Sep 13, 2012 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xavier Benni | 26 comments She is a very sweet, good hearted woman. She has a daughter named Ezinma who is though to be an ogbanje and that is and evil baby who keeps dying and being reborn to torment the mother. Iwkefi is hurt because she can not love the child because she keeps dying and being reborn. She says "why can't I be allowed to have a child I can love".

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She was once the village beauty, she was head over heels for Okonkwo when he tossed the Cat in a wrestling match. But after this there is much more to Ekwefi than one would think. She only had one of 10 kids who did not die at a young age (usually infancy), after seeing child by child being buried she became a very sorrow person. After all of this when it came to her own children she was neither happy nor had hope for them. "The birth of her children, which should be a woman's crowning glory, became for Ekwefi mere physical agony devoid of promise. The naming ceremony after seven market weeks became an empty ritual. Her deepening despair found expression in the names she gave her children. One of them was pathetic cry, Onkwumbiko-Death I emplore you." This shows that she was definitely a women affected by her past and she had a very sad one. Although all of this changed for her when her daughter Ezinma had made it to her 6th year and she absolutely adored her

message 5: by Isaiah (last edited Sep 15, 2012 03:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isaiah Armijo | 28 comments I agree with Vanessa but I think she should restate the second question at the end. Ewkefi is the mother of Ezinma who was the only living child that Ewkefi had brought into this world. " She had borne ten children and nine of them had died In infancy". The past children where an Orbanji. An Orbanji is " one of those wicked children who, when they died, entered their mothers' wombs to be born again". After each child Ewkefi starts bottling up more and more sorrow and dis pare which intern tormented her. After trying to get rid of the Orbanji multiple time she had grown to hate her own chi. She did not rejoice about the good fortune the family had ,but soon she would happy as a wealth man with yams. Ezinma was born and six years later "love returned once more to her mother". Ewkefi grew to love and cherish Ezinma , she even went to the point of feeding her eggs. To the Umuofia eggs where a delicacy and where usually not given to children in fear that they would fight over them. At first when she was not able to bier children she was very sad and was almost at the point where she wanted to end her own sorrow. Then Ezinma came into her world and stayed there. Ewkefia's happiness and joy was restored and she became the Happy, joyful, determined mother that she is.

message 6: by Kai (new)

Kai | 33 comments Vanessa's says it all. Ekwefi is a mother who has given birth to ten children, and all but one of them dies. She looks upon her children with sorrow, because she knows they will die, at least until she births Ezinma. Before that, she gives her children tragic names like "Onwunbiko" or "Death, I implore you". Or "Ozoemena- May it not happen again". Lastly "Ekwefi then became defiant and called her next child Onwuma- Death may please himself." But when Ezinma was born, and outlived Ekwefi's other children, she became "the center of her mother's world". Ekwefi cared for Ezinma very much, and gave her eggs, which were a delicacy to the Ibo.

message 7: by Sarai (last edited Sep 13, 2012 10:22PM) (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She was the village beauty and Okonkwo had won her heart by throwing the Cat. She didn't marry him then, but after she left her husband and went to live with Okonkwo. She was in love with wrestling contests. She had an only child and that was Ezinma. Ekwefi had given birth to ten children and out of those ten only one lived, that was Ezinma. The other nine children had died in their infancy, usually at or before the age of 3. One of their children was called Onwumbiko-- "Death, I implore you." But death took the child. The other the girl Ozoemena "May it not happen again." But sadly it did happen again and after her two other after her. The next child was Ownwuma "Death may please himself and after his death Okonkwo tried to take action. He went to a medicine man and he said the child was a ogbanje. This means when the child died it entered their mothers wombs to be born again.

Marianne Lara | 26 comments Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. Her favorite festival is the wrestling match. She had fallen in love with Okonkwo when he threw the Cat in a wrestling match. She was the village beauty at the time and Okonkwo was to poor to pay for her bride-price. She married another man but then ran away to Okonkwo. She's the mother of Ezinma. Ekwefi has had a very grim past, she has given birth to ten children, and only one, Ezinma, has survived past infancy. As Ekwefi buried child after child, she became sad, and then bitter. The birth of a child should be "a woman's crowning glory" pg.77, but to her it became something emotionally and physically stressful. The naming ceremony became nothing more than an "empty ritual" pg.77 to her, and her growing sadness became apparent in what she named her children. She tried to beg death to spare one of her children by naming him, Onwumbiko, his name meant "death I implore you", but he died in his fifteenth month. She tried again with her next child, naming her Ozuemena, which meant "may it not happen again" she also passed away. After the second child had died, Okonkwo's went to see a medicine man who told him that the child was an Obanje "one of those wicked children who, when they died, entered their mothers' wombs to be born again." pg.77. Later Enzima was born and Ekwefi didn't have much hope for her but after she lived longer than six years, love was brought back into Ekwefi's world.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 16 comments Vanessa wrote: "Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She was once the village beauty, she was head over heels for Okonkwo when he tossed the Cat in a wrestling match. But after this there is much more to Ekwefi than ..."
I agree with Vanessa she says it all about Ekwefi and who she was.

"Okonkwo’s second wife, once the village beauty. Ekwefi ran away from her first husband to live with Okonkwo". She was supposed to have 10 chlidren but 9 of those children had died and only one survived(Enzima).Ekwefi was also a good friend with Chielo.

message 10: by Zane (last edited Oct 07, 2012 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zane Flannery | 27 comments Vanessa wrote: "Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She was once the village beauty, she was head over heels for Okonkwo when he tossed the Cat in a wrestling match. But after this there is much more to Ekwefi than ..."

I feel that Vanessa was spot on with this summary exept she missed that Ekwefi left her husband to marry Okonkwo. Enzima was the last of her mother's children and had lived the longest. The past children of her mother had died in infancy. When Enzima was born,her mother was hardened and depressed and gave no love to Enzima out of fear. Also she forgot the part about a medicine man digging up the "iyi-uwa" which is what made the "ogbanje", or child that would die then come back over and over, stay within the child. The iyi-uwa looked like a small round smooth pebble. A medicine man put a spell on Enzima and she told the man where to go to find her iyi-uwa and they dug up the iyi-uwa. After this, Ekwefi became happy and stopped neglecting her daughter. Her heart warmed, and she became the most loving of all Okonkwo's wives. However, she still lived in fear of losing her daughter, even after six years.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 24 comments Kathryn wrote: "Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She is a great wrestaling enthusiast. He had "won her heart by throwing the Cat" page 39. At the time this had happened he had been to poor to pay her bride price; ..."

I agree with Kathryn. Ekwefi was Okonkwo's second wife. She gave birth to ten children but nine of them died. Her daughter Ezinma was believed to be an ogbanje "one of those wicked children who when they died, entered their mother's wombs to be born again," page 77. Before Ezinma was born, the names of her children were becoming increasingly depressing- "Onwumbiko- Death, I implore you" & "Ozoemena- may it not happen again". This why she worried so much when Ezinma became ill (page 85).

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Malone | 27 comments Vanessa says "Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She was once the village beauty, she was head over heels for Okonkwo when he tossed the Cat in a wrestling match. But after this there is much more to Ekwefi than one would think. She only had one of 10 kids who did not die at a young age (usually infancy), after seeing child by child being buried she became a very sorrow person. After all of this when it came to her own children she was neither happy nor had hope for them."

Vanessa's point is exactly right but the part of Ekwefi's story that she didn't day was that her children where cursed by Ogbanje. Ogbanje is a wicked spirit that haunts their mothers wombs. In the book Achebe writes on pg 77 "Ogbanje, one of those wicked children who, when they died, entered their mother's wombs to be born again." All of Ekwefi's children had died except one. One out of ten children birthed survived. That child's name is Ezinma. When Ezinma lived the family believed that they where rid of Ogbanje.

message 13: by Saul (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saul Saiz | 17 comments Kathryn wrote: "Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She is a great wrestaling enthusiast. He had "won her heart by throwing the Cat" page 39. At the time this had happened he had been to poor to pay her bride price; ..."

I agree with kathryn said ekwefi was okonkows second wife and that she was a bigwrestling fan . It is also true that he won her by throwing the cat on 39 and ny that time she married another man because he didnt have money to pay her bride price . So after that the husband solsher to a conco which she escaped from and went with okonkwo.i tgink she is a very strong women.

Benhanna | 27 comments Kathryn wrote: "Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She is a great wrestaling enthusiast. He had "won her heart by throwing the Cat" page 39. At the time this had happened he had been to poor to pay her bride price; ..."

I think that Kathryn did a vary good job explaining how Ekwefi fell in love with Okonwo and then years later ran off with him. what i think she missed is how she had a evil spirit propulsory greav her in the shape of her babes , so every time she would have a child it would die to case her pain pg78 . Ekwefi is a loves resoling and is a vary good loving mother .

message 15: by Mona (new)

Mona Chavarria | 29 comments Xavier wrote: "She is a very sweet, good hearted woman. She has a daughter named Ezinma who is though to be an ogbanje and that is and evil baby who keeps dying and being reborn to torment the mother. Iwkefi is h..."

I agree with Xavier because she was titled as sweet and was a good hearted woman but you should of mentioned "By the time Onwubiko died Ekwefi had become a very bitter woman" p.79 because her husbands first wife had already had 3 heathy sons that were also strong.

message 16: by Samara (new) - added it

Samara | 15 comments Mona wrote: "Xavier wrote: "She is a very sweet, good hearted woman. She has a daughter named Ezinma who is though to be an ogbanje and that is and evil baby who keeps dying and being reborn to torment the moth..."

I agree with Mona were she says that Ekwefi turned very bitter and jealous of Okonkwo's first wife because she had three healthy, strong, and confident boys while all of Ekwefi's children had died. All her children had died when they were only a few months old. All these deaths had brought Ekwefi down and she lost hope in having more children, but she still tried and she finally had Enzinma. Enzima was her greatest treasure. She couldn't bare to be without her.

message 17: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Sena | 26 comments Ikwefi fell in love with okonkwo when she saw him "toss the cat" however he could not pay her bride price so she married someone else but two years later she could no longer resist him she left her husband and went with okonkwo. Ikwefi is a kind woman who works hard and loves her daughter and is good hearted

Dominik Barela | 12 comments Ekwefi is Okonkwo's second wife. She was the village beauty and fell in love with Okonkwo when she saw him Throw the Cat. He didn't have enough money to pay her bride price, so they did not get married until years later. She was married to somebody else, but she ran away to be with Okonkwo.