Book Club - Paris discussion

Next Book > 2012, Book #6, September fairy-tale

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by René (new)

René (cigro) | 643 comments Mod
Well! book #5 came and went, and ten of our most distinguished members did discuss the merits and shortcomings of the July book, and now September is upon us and we have chosen the theme of a fairy tale, be it classic or modern, with or without fairies.

This topic is now open! Propose your book, a fairy tale by the standard that you alone define (I personally adhere to the definition that a fairy tale can comprise copious amounts of gratuitous sex). The doodle goes up on Monday night.

I hasten to add, if your proposal is ambiguous author-wise, please mention the author and edition (use the add book/author link if possible).

Happy selecting!

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
For ideas for suggestions, this could be useful

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/m...

message 3: by René (last edited Sep 12, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

There's also a listopia list for modern-day fairy tales : http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/11...

And from that list I nominate (drum roll, please): The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Things have never been easy for Oscar, a sweet but disastrously overweight, lovesick Dominican ghetto nerd. From his home in New Jersey, where he lives with his old-world mother and rebellious sister, Oscar dreams of becoming the Dominican J. R. R. Tolkien and, most of all, of finding love. But he may never get what he wants, thanks to the fukú-the curse that has haunted the Oscar's family for generations, dooming them to prison, torture, tragic accidents, and, above all, ill-starred love. Oscar, still waiting for his first kiss, is just its most recent victim.

message 4: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 24 comments Hello everyone!

I'm new to this and am happy to be making my first contribution (-which I hope doesn't fall too far from the theme ...)

I also picked it from the listopia list : One Hundred Years of Solitude

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Ah Rene, that's been on my list for a while...

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Okay, that list has helped no end. So, I go for another one I've avoided (not sure why...) but wanted to read: Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

message 7: by René (new)

!
Invisible Cities has been on my list for a while!

message 8: by Vishwesh (new)

Vishwesh Bhatia | 7 comments Nice suggestion.. Justin.. the description of the book is quite intriguing..

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/98...

This time as I said I will definitely try to read and finish the book.. ;)

I was thinking about BIG FISH by Daniel Wallace, but I believe most of us must have seen the movie.. if not I think it can be a potential candidate.. full of fairy tales!!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 9: by Kiwi (Karin) (new)

Kiwi (Karin) (kiwikarin) | 38 comments Hi everyone,
to start with, I'll suggest something really creative: "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende - now I only just recently talked to someone about, but blow me if I can remember when and where.....

And talking about remembering: Here a little advertizing to give my 2 cents towards a commen Goodreads-Outing :-) For those who weren't with us on Tuesday: I am in a group called "Les Barrés de Broadway" (www.lesbarresdebroadway.net) with our next concert coming right up: 27 Sept. at the Theatre de la Reine Blanche.

Would be great if some of you could come - it's a really fun show with many laughs and great moments! (and no, I'm not biased - well, maybe a tiny bit.....)

CU
Kiwi

message 10: by Ganit (new)

Ganit | 72 comments I would love to come on the 27th but, unless there will be a last minute change (and then I'll be very upset), I will be far in Bourgogne (harvesting grapes and making wine :))

Good luck with your show, I'm sure I'll hear about it from other book lovers on our next meeting :)

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Anyone else up for going to see Kiwi? I'd love to go, sounds a hoot! Do we buy online, K?

message 12: by Kiwi (Karin) (new)

Kiwi (Karin) (kiwikarin) | 38 comments Hi Justin, yep, tickets are online via billetreduc (I believe....)
Cool if you could make it :-)

message 13: by Vishwesh (new)

Vishwesh Bhatia | 7 comments Guys, I have already bought the tickets!! :) I had awesome reviews from the last show..

message 14: by René (new)

I'll see if I can make it.

Related anecdote: whenever I tell people about billetreduc, they think I'm saying "Bière et Ducs".

message 15: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 24 comments Sounds fun ! I'll check out the tickets :-)

message 16: by Viviane (new)

Viviane | 172 comments Hello Everyone,

Thanks from the list René. From it, I'm nominating "Princess Bride" by William Goldman.

And, sorry Kiwi, on the 27th, I happen to have a "Séminaire night-out" with my bosses and colleagues...

Good luck !

Viviane

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Cool, I'll buy a ticket pronto!

message 18: by Mrpozor (new)

Mrpozor Georgina, "One Hundred Years of Solitude" might be a bit too similar to the last book we've read (The Famished Road) as it uses magic realism and does not have a clear plot.

I did not like it at all when I read it one year ago. On the other hand it would mean that I could join the discussion without doing any reading!

message 19: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 24 comments Hi Mrpozer! No problem if you prefer to rule out my suggestion. The others sound good too :-). I have already read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao so I may be saving some reading time too !

message 20: by Frizzi (new)

Frizzi | 60 comments Mod
Hello, everyone.

1. Go Kiwi! I'm definitely coming to see you!

2. I don't have a suggestion for the fairy-tale book, but I would love to start reading. So when is the doodle to decide on the book? ;)

See you soon!
And have a great start in the week.
Bisous

message 21: by René (last edited Sep 17, 2012 06:49AM) (new)

All suggestions go into ze düdle and so will One Hundred Shades of Solitude (not the real title and not a great joke - I know).

And, speaking of which, here's the doodle: http://www.doodle.com/7sc6yxze9wq2vxc2

Don't vote until this evening - there may be further entries on the list. But, the campaign to choose the book is officially open, so you can already start buying votes, twisting arms, calling in favors, smearing books, calling book suggestion's moral fiber into question in the media and rigging the doodle.com voter system.

message 22: by Ezisbest (new)

Ezisbest | 6 comments Hi guys, I'm knew to Paris and the group. But I'd like to suggest something by Angela Carter. Either 'The Magic Toyshop' or 'The Bloody Chamber'.

Hope to meet you all properly at the next event.

Liam.

message 23: by Ezisbest (new)

Ezisbest | 6 comments Perhaps I was a bit slow with my suggestion - Calvino works for me though!

message 24: by René (new)

Liam, you must choose - "The Magic Toyshop" or "The Bloody Chamber"?

message 25: by Ezisbest (new)

Ezisbest | 6 comments Ouch, that's tricky. OK, to stay as close to the theme as possible I'll say 'The Bloody Chamber'.

message 26: by René (new)

Into the doodle it goes!

I remind everyone that you vote for, not one, but TWO books, thus freeing everyone to vote for their own book if they feel so inclined, and another book that draws their whimsy, or two books that pique their fancy, or just one book plus a protest abstention, but in short: you can vote for two books.

message 27: by René (new)

We have a tie on the doodle! Voting ends tomorrow evening, I hope the votes resolve this thorny thistle! Where's the rulebook when you need it, eh?

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin maybe we'll just read two books!

Who is going to see the barrés de broadway on the 27th? I would like to go but don't want to go solo. Has anyone else bought thier ticket?

message 29: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 24 comments I think the tie is over ... for now !!!

I can't make it on the 27th ... sorry.

But I'm looking forward to meeting you all after the reading(S?)!

message 30: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I'm def going, it's just I've yet to buy my ticket. I think Vish and Frizzi have their tickets already?

message 31: by René (new)

There's a new tie between ... Oscar Wao and the Neverending story!

Is it just me or is this all just terribly exciting?

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I 'm excited! Although I'm worried that the tension it's creating might force the Internet to grind to a halt...

message 33: by Vishwesh (new)

Vishwesh Bhatia | 7 comments So here comes the JAGGER!! ;) to solve the problem!!

Close the doodle now!! We have a winner!! :)

message 34: by Kiwi (Karin) (new)

Kiwi (Karin) (kiwikarin) | 38 comments Yes, close it, close it! And there was no arm twisting involved - well, not physically at least.... ;-)

message 35: by René (new)

Vish, you changed your vote. This is *highly* irregular. Have you been pressured by East German enforcers?

In any case, the doodle closes tomorrow evening. Anyone want to have another go at Vish?

message 36: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 24 comments Well ! I never would have imagined that a book club could bring such suspense and excitement into my life !!!

Seriously though, I agree, close it now - I haven't read the winner but have the runner-up !!

message 37: by Vishwesh (new)

Vishwesh Bhatia | 7 comments ha ha.. This time it was West German forces! :) as Karin mentioned..

message 38: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments NO! Who can we persuade back the other way? I'll buy them a can of pop? Can I use my two votes on one book??

message 39: by René (new)

As sheriff of this here forum, I will insist that we abide by the rules, and so our good doodle will stay up until tomorrow evening 8PM. All you good folks need to go home now and be with your families. No purpose will be served just milling about and shouting them angry slogans into the night.

message 40: by René (new)

OK, votes are all in, the choice is The Neverending Story.

I'll set up a new doodle for the date. Anyone have any suggestions?

message 41: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Oh, but I thought maybe Yaz would come back and use their second (unused) vote...

message 42: by Erin (new)

Erin How about the beginning of the third week of October? So the 15th or 16th. That gives three weeks and some change to buy and read the book.

message 43: by René (new)

Works for me.

message 44: by Georgina (new)

Georgina | 24 comments Sounds good !

message 45: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsv) | 96 comments Mod
just wondering... but isn't this a really long book?

message 46: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
Yeah, just seems to go on and on and on...

message 47: by René (new)

Like there's no end in sight...

message 48: by René (new)

Ok, let's put it differently. Is anyone dead-set braced against the third week of October?

message 49: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments I'm good for that week.

message 50: by René (new)

« previous 1 3