The Sword and Laser discussion

Robin Hobb
This topic is about Robin Hobb
Scifi / Fantasy News > Robin Hobb working on new ‘Fitz & Fool’ novel

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aidan (new)

Aidan (adribbleofink) | 53 comments Since S&L just finished up Assassin's Apprentice, I thought you all might be excited to know that, for the first time in years, Robin Hobb is working on a new 'Fitz & Fool' novel. There are few details about it, but Hobb recently said:

Clearly, for some time, my publishers have wanted me to write a continuation
of the Fitz and Fool story . It was my hope to work on such a story slowly,
carefully and very privately. For years. Because if I do it badly or hastily,
I will have ended my career.

I'm going to avoid posting about this. I'm not going to reply to any queries
about it. Not because I'm trying to be a diva or an artiste, but because I
need to focus on writing, not talking about writing. I think I've posted here
before about what I see as the difference between Being a Writer and Writing.
I'm not going to Be a Writer about this. There will be no hints, page counts,
updates, teasers, or warnings that A Main Character Will Die! I know that many
other writers use things like that to build excitement and increase internet
chatter. But I don't. For me, writing is like working on a long complicated
math equation. If someone in the room is reciting phone numbers or saying the
times table out loud, everything gets scrambled. So I'm going to insulate myself.

More here and here

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Neat. I'll be waiting patiently for that.

I was already excited by the novella she'll be releasing with Subteranean Press next year: The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince.

From their website:
"One of the darkest legends in the Realm of the Elderlings recounts the tale of the so-called Piebald Prince, a Witted pretender to the throne unseated by the actions of brave nobles so that the Farseer line could continue untainted. Now the truth behind the story is revealed through the account of Felicity, a low-born companion of the Princess Caution at Buckkeep."

I've wanted to know more about that bit of "history" ever since its first mention in the books.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant, im working my way through her books right now, im on The Liveship Traders but I absolutely loved The Farseer Trilogy, will keep my eye out for this.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
I'm on the first book of Liveship. I haven't got to Tawny Man yet. Until I see how it ends, I'm not sure how I'll feel. I'm enjoying the books so far, but adding another book may not necessarily be a good thing.

I just hope she's writing it on her own terms and not due to the outside pressure she mentioned.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments NMC wrote: "Rob wrote: "I'm on the first book of Liveship. I haven't got to Tawny Man yet. Until I see how it ends, I'm not sure how I'll feel. I'm enjoying the books so far, but adding another book may not ne..."

That wasn't her last series you know ;) She released another set of books set in the Rain Wilds that tells the tale of what happens with the dragons after Liveship and Tawnyman.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm on the fence about this.
I've come to like how things were left with Fitz and the Fool at the end of The Tawny Man, I'm not sure if I want their lives revisited.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Sep 15, 2012 11:08AM) (new)

I knew she wrote more books in the Elderling realm, but didn't really know what it was about.

My point still stands though. If I didn't already have a bunch of people telling me that Tawny Man is good, I might feel the same about those books.

As she has shown me so far, she developed a big and interesting world, that allowed her to write a whole other trilogy without Fitz or the Fool.

The Farseer wrapped up the major plot points, but left me wanting more. That's not always a bad thing. I'd have been content without more to read.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul | 100 comments Rob wrote: "I'm on the first book of Liveship. I haven't got to Tawny Man yet. Until I see how it ends, I'm not sure how I'll feel. I'm enjoying the books so far, but adding another book may not necessarily be..."

First off I accidentally flagged your post Rob.
Many apologies to you and the admin.

Have just finished the Ship of Magic and started the Mad Ship.

As much as I enjoyed the relationship between Fitz and Fool, like you am unconvinced it will be a good move.
The old adage, "Always leave 'em wanting more!" might be advisable.

message 9: by E (new)

E (irion) I am already looking forward to that :-D

message 10: by Sally (new)

Sally Sadler (salsatheweird) | 14 comments I am an addict. Having read every single book I have fallen into this world with a passion. I miss fitz. But I have a fond ridiculous joy in each book for itself. I've read under both names and yes I long for the next Robin or Megan book. But I hate rushed writing so I will toss and turn and feel like an unrequited lover until the next time. I still scour the internet hoping to find a missed book or short story. Sadly all my other favorites are between book too. It's torture, any suggestions to fill the black hole in my littary life is welcomed.

message 11: by Paulo (new)

Paulo Limp (paulolimp) | 164 comments That's great news! Robin Hobb was the only author that actually made me cry while reading a book. May the Gods and the Publishers let her have all the time in the world to do it right - just like the other ones.

message 12: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 184 comments Warning: as far as I can tell, Hobb is now saying there won't be another F&F book.
I haven't seen her address, explain, or admit to this u-turn anywhere (ie I haven't seen her say "I was working on one but it didn't work out so I don't think there'll be any more"). Also, when she did say she was doing another, she said she wished people didn't know and that she wouldn't be talking about it, and I think in the past she's admitted to deceiving readers about what she is and isn't working on, to deflect expectations and let her write in peace. So, personally, I'm hoping that the "no there won't be any more F&F books now stop asking me" think is really code for "yes I'm still working on that one I said I was working on, but I'm going to pretend I'm not so that people don't bother me about it (and I can drop it quietly if it doesn't work out)", and that one of these days she's just going to announce it out of the blue.

A boy can dream.

But I thought I should mention that, at the moment, so far as I can see, the official line is that no more F&F books are being planned.

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments KevinB wrote: "That wasn't her last series you know ;) She released another set of books set in the Rain Wilds that tells the tale of what happens with the dragons after Liveship and Tawnyman."

What did y'all think of the second Rain Wild trilogy? I liked the first trilogy OK but not quite as much as the two Farseer trilogies and then reading her Shaman books really put me off from reading any more of her work for a while ...

message 14: by Louise (last edited Sep 27, 2013 03:26PM) (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments The Rain Wilds trilogy is excellent. I really struggled with Soldier Son but read the Dragon books in no time. What works better is the POV choice - there are several characters and they're all explored in depth. Unlike Soldier Son, where I got the point of not caring about the MC.

message 15: by Kevin (last edited Sep 28, 2013 01:52AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Alan wrote: "KevinB wrote: "That wasn't her last series you know ;) She released another set of books set in the Rain Wilds that tells the tale of what happens with the dragons after Liveship and Tawnyman."

Wh..."

The Rain Wild Chronicles are 4 books actually, so a tetralogy, not a trilogy. ;) (she intended for 2 but they both got so big that they each got split, so 4 books, that read like 2 more or less complete stories.)

I really liked the first 2 Rainwild books, (on par with the Fitz books, and more than the Liveship books) the last 2 books (the sequel to the story told in the first 2 books) I didn't like as much, though it was still good.

I wasn't such a fan of the Warrior Son trilogy (shaman), mainly because I really didn't get along with the main character, Nevare. He is a bumbling idiot who keeps stacking on the wrong decisions, or worse just keeps going along with events without a will of his own. I know this was intentional and part of the plot, but I just didn't care about him. Fitz does that too to some extent, but in him I found it endearing, Nevare is just frustrating. The books are original though, I haven't read anything like them before or since, so there's that.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul | 100 comments "I wasn't such a fan of the Warrior Son trilogy (shaman), mainly because I really didn't get along with the main character, Nevare. He is a bumbling idiot who keeps stacking on the wrong decisions, or worse just keeps going along with events without a will of his own. I know this was intentional and part of the plot, but I just didn't care about him. Fitz does that too to some extent, but in him I found it endearing, Nevare is just frustrating. The books are original though, I haven't read anything like them before or since, so there's that. "

This is how I felt too. Nevare is so frustrating. He just bumbles and drifts when he should resist and resists when he should go with the flow.
There were times when I wanted to scream and slap him because he is so frustrating lol

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul | 100 comments KevinB wrote: "It's official:
http://robinhobb.com/2013/10/the-fool..."

Wow Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

Am soon to start on the Tawny Man books so this just adds an extra layer of spice!

message 19: by Roger (new)

Roger Berg | 3 comments There's also this youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDsErM...

Very happy to hear it :)

message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I'm a bit apprehensive about this. I like how Fool's Fate ends and didn't feel like I needed more books, but I'll be reading them anyways.

message 21: by Roger (new)

Roger Berg | 3 comments Rob wrote: "I'm a bit apprehensive about this. I like how Fool's Fate ends and didn't feel like I needed more books, but I'll be reading them anyways."

Hobb actually discussed this when she was on Sword & Laser (November last year).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwPAt...

(timestamp 3:30)

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I'm always a bit fearful for long anticipated continuations of fan favorite things. Expectations are usually so high, that unless it really ends up being the best part in the series ever, people are going to end up disappointed, which usually translates in more criticism than it actually deserves.

message 23: by Roger (new)

Roger Berg | 3 comments I can agree with the sentiment: I went into the tawny man feeling exactly the same way, but was proven wrong - so her track record thus far with Fitz and the Fool has been good :P

Its been a long time since she's written those characters though. The gap between Assassin's Quest and Fool's Errand was 4 years; its now been 10 years since Fool's Fate.

message 24: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 184 comments YES!!!!!
Most exciting book news... forever? OK, maybe since Donaldson started the final run of Covenant books (of course, I read one of those and then got bored, which shows that exciting announcements don't necessarily translate into good books...)

message 25: by Nixi (new)

Nixi (competine) | 28 comments KevinB wrote: "It's official:
http://robinhobb.com/2013/10/the-fool..."

Oh my! You made my day so so much better! I just finished Golden Fool, and didn't want to read the Fool's fate because it was the end of that story, and I didn't want it to end! I'm soo happy now!

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments August 2014 release date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CElxq...
(video of announcement by Robin Hobb's assistent)

message 27: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 829 comments Okay, that was HYSTERICAL!!

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments New interview over at Suduvu: http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2013/10/...

message 29: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ashley Roberts  | 65 comments I'm happy, my favourite romance story in all of fantasy is coming back.

message 30: by Reinoud (new)

Reinoud (fitzzz) | 9 comments I'm not sure if this is a good thing. It's like making a pulp fiction 2. Not sure if there is enough mystery left in Fitz's world to fill up three more books:(

message 31: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments So, does one think that to appreciate this, that you'll need to read just the Farseer Trilogy, or will you need to read any of the other mini-series that Hobb wrote? I read the Farseer trilogy when S&L read Assassin's Apprentice, but I haven't made it to any of the other books (though I think I have the Rain Wild books on my Kindle from when they went on sale earlier this year).

What are the others (& what's the right order?)...
Farseer
Liveship
Rain Wild
Tawny Man

???
Sorry to semi thread-jack, but I really enjoyed Farseer so am contemplating pre-ordering, but if it will require some of these others...

message 32: by Paul (last edited Dec 20, 2013 05:36AM) (new)

Paul | 100 comments @Reinoud
Well there is only one way to find out ;)

Robin is on record as saying she would not write about them just for the sake of it, only if there was a story to tell.
In this we have to trust the author's judgement.
IMHO we are in safe hands

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul | 100 comments @terpkristin

imho it would be worthwhile reading through in the order that they were written. It is not really a necessity I guess, but I feel that is the best way to fully appreciate the novels.
hth

message 34: by Jeremie (new)

Jeremie | 25 comments @terpkristin

I don't know much about this new trilogy so I'm just asuming and could be wrong.

I think you should read the Tawny Man trilogy first. It's the sequel to the Farseer still from Fitz POV.

The other series are worth reading if you enjoy this world, but are not mandatory to understand.

message 35: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 184 comments terpkristin wrote: "So, does one think that to appreciate this, that you'll need to read just the Farseer Trilogy, or will you need to read any of the other mini-series that Hobb wrote? I read the Farseer trilogy when..."

Unless this is something unexpected (a prequel, for instance), then you will DEFINITELY read to read both Farseer AND Tawny Man. Tawny Man is the direct sequel to the Farseer Trilogy, and features really important plot developments for key Farseer characters.

You don't have to read Liveships between Farseer and Tawny Man (they're in the same world with some overlap of characters, but are mostly independent), but I would recommend it. Otherwise, you'll miss some of the references, and in particular things in the second book will be very confusing. Plus, reading Liveships will probably be more enjoyable if you haven't already found out how it ends.

Rain Wilds was written after Tawny Man, but iirc takes place at approximately the same time.

Neither Liveships nor Rain Wilds should be essential to understanding the plotlines of the two main characters in the new books. However, they do deal with things that are important developments in the world itself, and since we don't know what the topic of the new books will be, it may well involve things from these books.

message 36: by terpkristin (last edited Dec 22, 2013 06:22AM) (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Thank you, everybody! I added the Tawny Man series to my tbr_2014 shelf. I just wish they were in audio form! Now I'm trying to figure out if I can pre-order the new one so I can also read it in 2014 heheh. ;)

Edit: Yep, pre-orderd and it will deliver to my Kindle. WHEE!

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments terpkristin wrote: "Thank you, everybody! I added the Tawny Man series to my tbr_2014 shelf. I just wish they were in audio form! Now I'm trying to figure out if I can pre-order the new one so I can also read it in 20..."

Actually, the Tawny Man trilogy is on audio form on Audible: http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_s...

message 38: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Very odd, I get "no results for the keyword" and when I look up stuff by Robin Hobb, it's not in the list? I thought maybe it was a region thing, but you're from NJ and while that might be a world apart from VA (heheh), it doesn't seem to show up. How odd.

message 39: by Kevin (last edited Dec 22, 2013 07:24AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments terpkristin wrote: "Very odd, I get "no results for the keyword" and when I look up stuff by Robin Hobb, it's not in the list? I thought maybe it was a region thing, but you're from NJ and while that might be a world ..."

Yeah, it helps that they are headquartered here in New Jersey.

message 40: by Rob, Roberator (new)

My friend had the same issue. Their are Tawney man audio books, but couldn't find anywhere to buy them in the US.

I'm curious how Kevin sees them on audible...

message 41: by Kevin (last edited Dec 23, 2013 05:34AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Rob wrote: "My friend had the same issue. Their are Tawney man audio books, but couldn't find anywhere to buy them in the US.

I'm curious how Kevin sees them on audible..."

Its there, not their. Plus maybe the reason I can see them is maybe because I have been to audible headquarter at One Washington Park in Newark, New Jersey.

message 42: by Rob, Roberator (new)

My bad grammer aside, that makes no sense.

message 43: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 829 comments Here's a discussion of the Tawny Man audiobooks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/dis...

Short version - UK only, terrible reader, might be able to request it from Audible.

message 44: by Mike (new)

Mike (mbest00) | 1 comments Rain Wilds chronicles at Kindle Daily Deal:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_...

message 45: by Seth (new)

Seth (frisboy) | 7 comments Hope she takes her time writing so I have time to read seven books. Plus more time writing time can't hurt (right George R.R. Martin??). The recent kindle sales of Rain Wilds have helped my cause. Robin Hobb is very reasonably priced on kindle, and I applaud her.

message 46: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments For all of you anxiously awaiting Fool's Assassin, io9 has an excerpt and cover reveal.

http://io9.com/first-exclusive-look-a...

message 47: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Ooh. I like it.

message 48: by Sally (new)

Sally Sadler (salsatheweird) | 14 comments I don't think I can read this taster chapter. I need to have the entire book! I will be debating this in my head for a while?!!

message 49: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments For anyone who doesn't have Assassin's Apprentice, today is the last day for a Goodreads giveaway of that particular title. Fifty copies available, IIRC.