We Love/Hate semicolons! discussion

About this group....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Conrad (tom_conrad) | 28 comments Mod
“Do not use semicolons,” Kurt Vonnegut once said. “They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.”

George Bernard Shaw said: "Not using semicolons is a symptom of mental defectiveness, probably induced by camp life."

But whichever side of the semicolon divide you fall, please leave your opinions and views here, but be nice... at least try to be nice, because, after all, it's only punctuation?!

About ME/Tom Conrad and why I set up this group:

I used a fair few exclamation marks in my début novel, Rich Pickings For Ravens, but not one solitary semicolon. It's what inspired my latest novella, That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die.... I realised I hadn't used them, wondered why I didn't, was it purely coincidental or some previously dormant/unrealised prejudice lying deep within my unconscious.

Anyway, I started to write That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die...., spoke to friends about semicolons, soon realised everyone seems to have a view, and even found that beautiful quote by Kurt Vonnegut.

All of which means, here I am, and here you are - hopefully.

Shameless plug continuing - you can find my novella here: -

That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die....

by Tom Conrad

UK http://amzn.to/QvF8ss

US http://amzn.to/QwmiVI

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hallbrooks (lynnhallbrooks) | 5 comments All I know about semi-colons in books is what I learned from the proofreader at the small publishing house that our book sprang. She basically told us if one pops up in your word processor, that means to split it up into a separate sentence. Being as I was a newbie to the published author world, I took her word for it. I mean it made sense at the time. I wouldn't go so far as to 'kill' a semi-colon or bash someone who did use it. I would politely pass along what I had learned from my proofreader.

Hope y'all have a great one!

message 3: by Tom (new)

Lynn wrote: "All I know about semi-colons in books is what I learned from the proofreader at the small publishing house that our book sprang. She basically told us if one pops up in your word processor, that me..."

Hi Lynn, that's exactly what I think and I do. I don't personally bash those who use semicolons, I was/am just taking on a persona to promote my ebook. I thought the dividing line of two writers in love could be symbolised by their stance on semicolons. Hopef if people read my ebook, they'll understand the title of my book:

That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die....

That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die.... by Tom Conrad

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hallbrooks (lynnhallbrooks) | 5 comments Tom,

Oh I understand what you're saying. As I reader, I've noticed that some use them and others don't. I guess maybe the real fight is between proofreader and author? :)

I have 'liked' you and your book and put it on my Goodreads TBR and Amazon Wish List.

"Bestsellers" to you on That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die....

Lynn

message 5: by Tom (new)

Thanks, Lynn, that's lovely of you.

The real fight is between Frankie and Abbey, you'll see why in my ending - if you read it, though I do love your idea of proofreader/writer - maybe the sequel!

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hallbrooks (lynnhallbrooks) | 5 comments Tom wrote: "Thanks, Lynn, that's lovely of you.

The real fight is between Frankie and Abbey, you'll see why in my ending - if you read it, though I do love your idea of proofreader/writer - maybe the sequel!"

I see...I guess I'll just have to get the darn book so I know how it ends. :)

I was thinking in real life but so glad I help you with brain-storming.

Have a great one!

Lynn

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Bigelow (brian_bigelow) It's rare I use a semi-colon. Think I've used one in all of the books/stories I've written (12?).