What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kids book of stories, scary tooth fairy, curse. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (chinafairy) | 9 comments So this book was a slim volume of stories, each one had a lovely illustration, maybe pencil or pen drawings, no color, it had sort of scary fairy tale type tales, one about the tooth fairy who lived in a castle built of teeth, one about a princess with long hair? one about a curse, something about a creature in a conch shell....totally awesome,
the book may have been green and was intended for 9-14 ages i would guess.
help!

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) There was a famous series of stories by Andrew Lang that were named by volume colors e.g. the Red Fairy Book & such, I think. If it is them, I've seen them on Guetenberg.org. Search for 'fairy, lang' there & they come up.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (chinafairy) | 9 comments no thats not it. i have the whole andrew lang collection.
I didn't specify before, but its much more contemporary. I read it as a kid so i was probably published in the early 80s.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Sara, are you still looking for this?

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (chinafairy) | 9 comments very much so yes, I am rather haunted by it.
I try to remember more about it...but the memory is so elusive.
A boy is walking to school and meets an old woman (i think and i know it sounds like a fairy tale but its set in modern times) and he is rude and the woman curses him but i cant remember the details of the curse. Something about nightmare and the creature who lived in a conch shell who maybe had big horse teeth.
It was a thin paperback and had a few b&w illustrations.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 54 comments Maybe something by Alvin Schwartz?

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (chinafairy) | 9 comments It must have been published in the 80s

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking? It wasn't the things suggested in posts 6-7?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response. Moving to Abandoned.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (chinafairy) | 9 comments I found it!

A book of stories by Joan Aiken called The Last Slice of Rainbow!

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Sara! Thanks for the update. Here's the link - The Last Slice of Rainbow and Other Stories by Joan Aiken.