Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Laura's Top 2012 Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) Okay so after seeing the other lists, I decided to try it out and well I may not keep track but will try to update as much as possible.
xD Thanks

message 2: by Laura (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:52AM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) 1. The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Now to start let me just say this is probably my favourite book of this year if not ever and I don't think another could top this for me so far... which is saying something ~
I loved pretty much everything! I rarely connect so much with a character but Brie was just so real it was hard not to, what she did at times if not through out was not always the right thing to do yet that's exactly why I could connect with her and could see myself being the exact same way if what happened to her was done to me ~
Then there is Patrick officially amazing and cute in a weird way, he is original different to the usual type I see and I loved when he talked. So sweet!
Even the best friends and ex-boyfriend were all relatable towards the end even though I hated most at the beginning ~
Okay wont go into any more detail because I would probably Spoil it but anyone who has not read this...
WAY RECOMMENDED!

P.S the use of song titles as chapter names was awesome :)

message 3: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Sounds like one heck of a book. Definitely check it out.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) 2. Revived by Cat Patrick
Pros:
Original: It has a different plot unlike your cliche not that I don't love them, just gives a new vibe and new view.
Death of main/minor character: This I felt was one of my favourite parts of the plot, done really well and had feeling. Feeling of hope for a moment before dropped in a matter of pages.

Cons:
Romance: This is pretty non-existent and even when it appears, most seems more like a protection for both characters.

Plot: This is really undeveloped to me and the first half of the book seems pointless, the whole 'revive' aspect is spoke about often but not seen much or explained.

Ending: 'Disappointing' it contained a time skip and transfer of location, which can be great in some cases but not so much with this.

Recommended as a: Pass time, trying a new genre/ something different and car, bus, plane, train journey.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Sep 23, 2012 08:01AM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) 2. Exile (Mercy, #2) by Rebecca Lim
Now this has been sitting on my shelf for a few months since the first time I tried to read it straight after finishing the first book which was so amazing.
Lets just say it was a different pace compared to the first and that's not a bad thin,g but at the time I was still caught up in the previous book so I could not get into it.
I'm so glad I picked it back up now because it turned out great.

Pros:
Information: Compared to the first book in which you were not shown or told much of Mercy's past, this one gave lots about what they are, part of what happened and so on...
Characters: Many new characters and each different in their own way all developed, simply loved all of them even those that were in the wrong.
Action: Few of these scattered through out, which was what kept my interest.

Cons:
Romance: Pretty much non-existent in this one, all over the place and more spoken of then actually shown.

Okay I will say I loved this even though it took me a long time after the first to read it.
Also sorry for all the comparing between the first book and this one but I just couldn't help but do so because although the main character is pretty much the same everything is in a different place and so on.

message 6: by Laura (last edited Sep 23, 2012 08:08AM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) 3: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
So Amazing, total love!
There's pretty much nothing I hated about this book, it had romance, a few twists and family drama.
The characters were realistic and so sweet, I also loved how they used the title in the book.
I don't really know what to say about this book because I cant really explain why I loved it I just did there was nothing exactly different about it, but I still couldn't help but love it.