Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Black South Carolina Senator Wants "Confederate Day" holiday

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29003595/...

This is interesting. How do you think the south should handle confederate history? It's a tough issue.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments how wacky. i think celebrating a confederate history will ignite new racism and rekindle old racism from the past. in a time such as now where we need to be united more than ever we certainly do not need something causing tension and dissension. Some people down south still refer to it as the War Of Aggression. I think we need to drive forward looking through the windshield trying to avoid future accidents rather than racing ahead while looking in the rearview mirror at potholes from the past. We should only celebrate positive things.

[climbing down from soap box:]

message 3: by Félix (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:26AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have cousins in the South who have a bit of a complex about all of this. With some of them, we can't even talk about the subject without getting their ire up about how their history is not the "politically correct" history. You know, the "War of Northern Agression" and all that.

I'm reading Team of Rivals now. It gets into all of the details of how far apart the North and the South were on so many things, the issue of slavery being prominent. The Dred Scott decision just makes my skin crawl -- this whole idea that people can be property and all that.

I was working in Wisconsin for a few months several years ago with a guy from Abbeville, SC. One day we were driving around town in Fond du Lac. He said that there were no nice, middle class neighborhoods where he was from. There were either really nice homes of the wealthy, or the shacks/trailers of the poor.

It's not good to make broad brush statements about things, I know. And the South has changed a lot over the years since Reconstruction, with industrialization and growth of a middle class. But when you drive around rural areas, it's easy to see where they came from, because some parts are still there, with lousy schools and all.

Yeah, my cousins proudly fly the flag of CSA. But I can't help but see stains of oppression on it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand his logic, but I'm with Kevin we need to keep moving forward knowing where we were in the past.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I live in South Carolina. This state is famous for rednecks who claim the Confederate flag is "heritage, note hate". This state is also famous for doofus senators like Robert Ford who love sponsoring idiotic bills like this.

As you recall, Sen. Ford is also the same State Senator Who Wants to Ban Obscenities.

Thank God I live a mile away from the North Carolina state line, and mere minutes from Charlotte. I can avoid the taint of stupidity that seems to permeate and soak all its' residents, the deeper and farther you go into this state*

* (with the exception of Charleston and Beaufort/Hilton Head - there is at least a nexus of intelligence there)

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I have never sported a Confederate flag, and I've only worn camo once... for the record.

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) You're not a redneck, Heidi. You're a Southern Belle.

Big difference.

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Feb 04, 2009 07:35AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I know alot of rednecks, though. I prefer to not hang around them.

My mother was offended when I called my ex-brother-in-law a redneck (she takes offense at that word being used in a condescending manner) after she told me his truck was featured in a monster truck magazine. He IS a redneck.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I want to know why Heidi wore camo.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) My guess is Heidi was making a fashion statement.

What that statement was, I dunno.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Maybe she was a bridesmaid at one of these weddings:

http://tackyweddings.com/2009/01/19/c...

(with thanks to Jude for sharing the website)

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Feb 04, 2009 10:56AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The story's not that interesting. My brother went through a phase while in jr. high when he bought ALL his clothes at the army store. I had to "babysit" him one day, so for fun, I took him there to shop.

I stood around for a while thinking it was utterly boring in there... I mean EVERYTHING was camo! I started laughing at the women's pink camo print shirts... and then I spotted some pretty cool green ones with an interesting camo print (that they might've sold at Gadzooks)... and they were super cheap... I kept going back to that rack and checking them out... and I finally caved in and bought one.

I wore it once - the next day, after I'd had a chance to wash it first. My neighbor kept saying "I can't see you, Heidi... I can hear you, but I can't see you." I didn't think his joke was funny, and I never wore the camo tee again. Jerk.

I guess you were sorta right, Gus. I bought that shirt thinking I was in solidarity with my bro and that goofy phase he was going through (he also had dreads at the time... and they looked like baby dog poop... so we nicknamed him Shithead ("shith EED").

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That wasn't a bad story.

message 14: by Heidi (last edited Feb 15, 2011 06:25AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Okay... it looked like this , only it was just $4.00

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have seen some girls looking very cute in camo. not the ones who wear it with sweatpants while playing the crane game at Piggly Wiggly but rather ones that wear the baby doll tees while shooting pool with the guys

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I never wore mine further than my neighbor's apartment. :-\

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments What date could Confederate Day actually be? I mean, Union Day makes more sense, since they won The War Between the States, or whatever eupemism southerners want to use. I've lived in the S most of my life, although I was born in Detroit where nobody even remembers the dang war, yet so many southerners won't forget it, and are hyper sensitive and paranoid about anything they may construe as a putdown of the south. I just don't get it.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments c'mon heidi, put on your camo and head down to the Starbuck's would ya? if you do, i will wear a polo shirt (i do NOT do polo shirts) and meet you there for a latte

message 19: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Kevin, be sure your polo shirt's got the collars popped up.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And has an alligator on it.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ha! i never wear a shirt with a collar other than a button up and then still rarely never. polo shirts seem so establishment to me (for me folks, not judging)Carhartt is my designer brand. i don't say Git Er Done or wear camo unless in the woods but i wear far more natural colored tee shirts than i do anything preppy or biz looking

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Randomanthony wrote: "http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29003595/...

This is interesting. How do you think the south should handle confederate history? It's a tough issue."

I think that teaching this, that , and the other history is divisive, and, it's ALL American History, which is the story of us all, not the story of who did what to whom, e.g. No Irish need apply. American History. Period.

message 23: by Heidi (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:19PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Hmmm... I don't know that I agree - that just doesn't seem fair... what about history majors? They have to write a thesis, right? They choose a specific event in history to cover and focus their research on... and typically become experts in that area... and some go on to teach their area of expertise in colleges and college prep high schools... and continue in their research endeavors in that area. Upper level college courses for history majors and grad students don't focus on American History necessarily. Those classes are available as intro classes typically for a reason - for general survey and introduction. Doing a thesis on broad spectrum history seems counterproductive in the purpose of learning about history and sharing one's knowledge of history. I believe that anyone teaching history should be able to talk about the uncomfortable stuff, too... so long as the lesson is given in a factual, credible presentation. The integrity of teaching history should require that. I think this also leads to the most interesting discussions, too...

Have any of you ever seen Little Rock Central High: 50 Years Later ? There are some great examples that would support my opinion in this documentary.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Yes, one has to choose a specific topic to research for a thesis. An English major could, for example, choose James Joyce, but it would still be literature. I'm not saying certain periods in history shouldn't be studied thoroughly, but when you put all the periods and time lines back together, it will still be American history. If one wants to become an expert on a specific historical period, that doesn't divorce it from its general classification.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.