NaNoWriMo 2012 discussion

NaNoWriMo 2012 > HERE WE GO

Comments Showing 1-50 of 283 (283 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane | 27 comments Mod
it's about that time, doncha think?

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) | 10 comments I can't wait! I'm actually planning out my novel this year!

message 3: by Briony (last edited Sep 13, 2012 03:18PM) (new)

Briony (brionyjae) | 12 comments Hey guys, I'm not quite sure where to post this, but... help OLL/NaNoWriMo to win $250,000 by voting for them here: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommun... We can do this Wrimos! :) (If you want to move this link or make a separate post, that's cool!! ^_^)

...and I am also incredibly excited about November, it's so close now! :D *dances*

message 4: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane | 27 comments Mod
I wasn't really able to participate last year, so this year IT'S ON. I'm going to go with the same project I intended to do last year before life got in the way. It's nice that the idea is already there and I don't have to worry about it.

message 5: by Maryam (new)

Maryam (mia2) | 1 comments Last year I bailed because I had too much college work. This time, added to that, I have two jobs too. But I'm determined to win!

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin  Aragon (kljaragon) I'm so excited about NaNoWriMo this year. I'm kind of with @Saved By Grace...I have so many ideas and not enough time. One of them will evolve into something during the next month, I suppose.

~Kristin

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Elst (emily_elst) | 20 comments I'm debating whether to join the NaNo Rebel ranks and finish off a half done story, or set that one aside and write something new...

message 8: by Jennivie (new)

Jennivie I'm debating finishing a story as well. Setting aside what is already done and writing 50k of new stuff. Maybe. I have so many stories bouncing around inside of me. Real and imagined.

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (applesticker) Last year was my first year and it was an amazing experience!! (I even conned by best friend into doing it, even though she had heaps of exams) :P This year I have exams, but only until the 8th, I'm so pumped!!! :) :) Gotta get working on my plan, though...

message 10: by Derekica (new)

Derekica Snake (kiix) | 8 comments jumping on the bandwagon. I'm doing it...I will succeed this year...oh gah, I hope I get it this year. I finished what I was working on but not in the time limit.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Elst (emily_elst) | 20 comments Finishing a novel is an impressive feat in itself Derekica, even if you don't make it in the NaNO month.

I only made 40K last year, so I am keen to push myself past the finish line too :)

message 12: by Madi (new)

Madi (madi221b) Ella wrote: "I can't wait! I'm actually planning out my novel this year!"

im planning mine too! last year i just kind of wrote it and it turned out to be a disater!

message 13: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) | 10 comments Madi wrote: "Ella wrote: "I can't wait! I'm actually planning out my novel this year!"

im planning mine too! last year i just kind of wrote it and it turned out to be a disater!"

Same here! I didn't get past 1k last year, that's how terrible it went.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cp (ficem) Hayley wrote: "Last year was my first year and it was an amazing experience!! (I even conned by best friend into doing it, even though she had heaps of exams) :P This year I have exams, but only until the 8th, I'..."

Woooooo!! Likewise exams, but they will go all the way to halfway through the month; I'm already nervous and excited about it. Last time I had no idea and wrote it in a week, this time I have most of the plot down already from long ago. Really wanted to do Camp NaNo this year but study got in the way, so, pumped for free time (and another bucket of Maltesers...)

message 15: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (applesticker) Hannah wrote: "(and another bucket of Maltesers...) "

mmmmmm Maltesers...

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cp (ficem) Hayley wrote: "Hannah wrote: "(and another bucket of Maltesers...) "

mmmmmm Maltesers..."

I always used to spell it 'Malteasers'. What a shock I got one day when I read the packaging...

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly (winterfoxstudios) | 1 comments i cant wait.i have so many exciting ideas. i most likely wont get it finished (again) but thats ok :)

message 18: by Hirnundsieb (new)

Hirnundsieb I'm so excited!!! Last year was such a great experience (although I wrote a romance novel which bored me to death), so this year I'm going all in! I'll write something crazy (sci-fi/adventure), with warriors and megacities and totalitarian regimes. The only thing is: I'm shit at plotting!

message 19: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Toney (beverlytoney) | 1 comments Okay, last year I wrote zero, ziltch, nada. This year, however, I am almost done with my first book and hope to start me second on in November. Maybe this challenge will jump start my series...fingers crossed.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cp (ficem) Hirnundsieb wrote: "I'm so excited!!! ... so this year I'm going all in! I'll write something crazy (sci-fi/adventure), with warriors and megacities and totalitarian regimes. The only thing is: I'm shit at plotting! "

If you want to go 'all in', and do something crazy, but feel blocked in the plots, I would advise getting onto the forums (I did that a few times, was really good!) whenever you need to. And apparently the challenges can be quite a bit of fun, but I've never tried one myself...

message 21: by Mela (new)

Mela (sajina) I am not really planning so far, but starting a million books to get inspired for anything! I am quite sick of the one big universe I am usually writing in.

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo (arlia11) | 1 comments Just put up my book stuff yesterday!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participa...

Add me if you wish! Oh and I need plot ideas - sigh.

message 23: by ReadingToTheStarsAndBack (last edited Oct 03, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

ReadingToTheStarsAndBack | 6 comments Doing NaNo this year for the second time! So excited, I kinda have an idea but I need the whole month of October to finalise it! And find a title.

If anyone wants to add me...

Star :P

message 24: by Hayley (last edited Oct 03, 2012 05:00PM) (new)

Hayley (applesticker) I added my novel info yesterday and now I'm getting super pumped!! Started a little planning, too - I've got a vague plot idea, right now I need to find some names for my main characters, so off to the forums for me! :)

And if anyone wants to add me: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participa...

:)

message 25: by Kris (new)

Kris Spent last night swearing at the site as I tried to make our shiny new region look occupied!

Silly people let me ML again this year! XD

message 26: by Mirael (new)

Mirael Doing Nano for the 3rd year now. Planning to write some fantasy! Feel free to add me as writing buddies, I'll add you back! http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participa...

You can also follow me on Twitter @sweetsnmoss

Looking forward to a great November this year!

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cp (ficem) All the NaNo-related-prep emails they've been sending out are getting me reeeeaaaally excited. Pity I can't actually start until November 15th. D'X (Stay tuned for when I cave to temptation and you see a word count update before this date...)

If anyone wants to add me feel free!

message 28: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollysmiles) | 2 comments Everyone who put links, I have added you to be my writing buddy! I can't wait!!

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily Elst (emily_elst) | 20 comments I've recruited at least one other person to NaNo this year. Now I just need to pick a story...

message 30: by Amelia (new)

Amelia C. Gormley (ameliacgormley) | 3 comments I will be doing NaNo this year! I'll be writing the third book of my Impulse m/m romance trilogy, the first book of which is already published and the second book of which will be out in late November or early December.

This will be my first time participating in NaNo! I'm very excited!

message 31: by Mollie (new)

Mollie (englishchick) | 2 comments I tried to do NaNoWriMo last year and failed very early. But this year, I have an idea, I'm making a character sheet and I am determined to make it this time!

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/...

message 32: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Lawton | 13 comments Hi all - I use NaNoMo to force myself to get another 1st draft out to a deadline. Facing three possible plots for this year, I very scientifically made my choice by picking them out of a hat (no - really, my best trilby) and the prequel to Shaman's Drum won. So at least I know which one I'm doing which makes me one step ahead of yesterday.

message 33: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) | 10 comments I just added my book last night. Check it out!
http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/...

message 34: by LDB (new)

LDB I have wanted to do NaNoWriMo for years and this is the first year I am going to attempt it. Looking forward to it! For those who have done it before, how much time per day do you spend working on your novel? Where do you write? Any pieces of advice?

message 35: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) | 10 comments Well, you have to write 1667 words per day, so you have to write as much as possible.
You just write in a word document or wherever you normally write.
Write as much as possible. If you run out of ideas, take a break and do something then come back to it later. Also, don't edit at all except for spelling a some grammar. If you're using word and one of those squiggly lines show up, fix it and continue. That is all the editing you should do.
Another thing, start planning now. Lay out every single character and every single chapter, that why you don't run out of ideas.

message 36: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Crouse (roxannecrouse) | 1 comments I'll be writing the third book of my trilogy The Otherworld Trilogy. I'll be happy to finish with this world so I can move on to something new. Working on my outline as we type. Also thinking of writing my story live on Google docs.

message 37: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Cp (ficem) @LDB, I started my previous NaNo really late, so pretty much wrote the 50k in seven days, and I still managed to fit in a concert and casual work. Mostly what I found was that any time I had ideas I'd scribble them down (/input them in my iPod) or e-mail them to myself if I was away from my usual laptop. Then, even if I got home late at night, I'd copy them into my working document, and in the morning, the first thing I'd do is write up that idea. Usually that really helped in terms of getting things flowing for the rest of the day. Any time I was stuck, I'd do something to break it up (eg have a shower, go to the gym, eat lunch) which meant that my daily schedule was dominated by when I had a writing block.

message 38: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (applesticker) @LDB, I agree with everything everyone else has said, but just to add my own advice: really try and aim for the 1,666 words a day, but if you know you have a busy time coming up, and that you'll be away from your novel for a while, try and get as far ahead as possible while you can, so you don't get too far behind. Also, try not to update your word count on the website too regularly (I try and limit it to 1-2 a day); if you're having a slow day, it can make it seem like you're made no progress, but in reality, every word counts! Good luck! :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2012 05:51AM) (new)

My last novella (which, um, was also my first) was about 32k. So 50k--especially in one month!--seems like a real stretch to me. But I'm outlining now, and I'm going to aim for those 1,666 words per day. And even if I fail, I figure I'll probably end up with the rough draft of a 35k novella. Here's hoping, anyway!

message 40: by Nici (new)

Nici Hi guys. I tried to participate last year but somehow never made it. So this year I'm sooooo motivated to do it! I'm outlining now but I'm unsure if it will be enough to hit those 50k :)

Feel free to add me :) http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participa...

message 41: by Vintage Lady (new)

Vintage Lady So it's ok to start an outline of a book that I want to start? I am new to this and am going to try for the first time to write one. I am a homeschool mom and am going to try just for fun. I love to read and thought it would be neat if I could write a book. I have an idea rolling around in my head but am uncertain how to start.Is there a place where there are official rules?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's a quote from the NaNo FAQs:

"Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death."

:p

The rules and regulations are here: http://nanowrimo.org/faq/rules/

message 43: by Nici (new)

Nici Mysterylady wrote: "So it's ok to start an outline of a book that I want to start? I am new to this and am going to try for the first time to write one. I am a homeschool mom and am going to try just for fun. I love t..."

I think it's good to have an outline so that you can figure out what you will write per chapter. I need to do that otherwise it will lead me to a place I didn't want to go ;) but that method is not for everyone.

message 44: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Looking forward to this year's NaNo! It'll be my second time participating. Haven't quite hammered down the outline of my book yet but I finally posted the working title on my NaNo account so I guess that's a start =P

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie Hilton | 2 comments I just heard about NaNoWriMo a few hours ago and now I am obsessed! As a 30-something book nerd I have always wanted to write a novel. The universe has been kicking me in the pants all year and with this latest suggestion from a friend, I think the universe has just double-dogged dared me! But my turning point to move forward with writing ANYTHING was at San Diego Comic Con this past July when I met the Winner Twins. They published their first novel at age 12, and at 17 years old they are working on their 4th--REALLY??? What is stopping me? So I have an idea of a sci-fi series that I just started seriously researching yesterday. I have an overall storyline but need to outline each individual book prior to November 1st. Now NaNoWrimo hits me today?? This will be my year! I am so happy to be joining all of you who have tried this before. Good luck and good ideas to all!

For reference, here is a link to these amazing girls and how they now teach creative writing to middle schoolers.
http://www.winnertwins.com/index.shtml

Do you have a defining point that pushed you over the edge to say YES! ?

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol | 3 comments Last year I didn`t finish as my story fizzled out.This year I am doing something crazy for me, I am going to not plan! I know the begining and roughly the end. It will either work or not! I think I am mad :0)

message 47: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Hey guys! Wooo I'm so pumped for NaNo!

You can add me here: http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/...

message 48: by Cutter100 (last edited Oct 11, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Cutter100 | 3 comments I can't wait! I'm trying very hard not to start on my idea for Nanowrimo now and just stick to plotting.

message 49: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (applesticker) Carol wrote: "Last year I didn`t finish as my story fizzled out.This year I am doing something crazy for me, I am going to not plan! I know the begining and roughly the end. It will either work or not! I think I am mad :0)..."

You're not mad, Carol! Last year was my first NaNo, after discovering it at about 6pm on November 1st! Basically all I knew at that time was the one image I had in my head - of a young girl standing on windy beach, talking to her dead twin sister - and somehow I wrot 50,000 from that!! The flaw I found was they my plotting-on-the-fly skills were not so good - the end results was not particularily good, but I still lvoed the expereince and I regret nothing!! :P

message 50: by Vintage Lady (new)

Vintage Lady Thanks.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6