Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Draft reviews

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben (Ben77) | 14 comments Would it be possible to enable users to create a working draft copy of a review, such that it only can be viewed by the user, rather than being in the user's update feed? When I write reviews of books, I usually can work at it in spurts, and I'd rather not be publicly posting my random musings. I realize there is the option of "private notes" but that only allows for a maximum of 500 characters. Hardly the quantity needed for a decent review.

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 83 comments I really like this idea. This is how yelp does it, and I find it useful.

Elizabeth (Alaska) You have your entire computer for drafts. Also, GR has the option of a private group which you could create for this purpose.

message 4: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments It would be a useful option for phone users and the like where you do not have the capability of saving drafts in various places like on a computer.

It would also be nice if you could do this without having to go through the hassle of creating a group etc.

message 5: by Anke (new)

Anke | 400 comments Might be a stupid idea, but why not write it in the private notes?

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 220 comments Anke wrote: "Might be a stupid idea, but why not write it in the private notes?"

It doesn't give you enough space to write a long review.

I'm pretty sure this idea was requested before and I'm not sure what GR's response was, but I would definitely love a draft feature. It would be easier to keep everything in one spot, especially when going from one device to another.

message 7: by Mel (last edited Sep 11, 2012 10:50AM) (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments Anke wrote: "why not write it in the private notes?"

Unless it's a short comment, a review saved in the private notes won't fit, as it has a small and limited amount of characters for you to write.

Private Notes - 512 Characters available
Review Space - 20,000 Characters available

Elizabeth (Alaska) Going from one device to another should be pretty simple using Google Drive and a Google Drive word document.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 210 comments It was requested before, partly in because it was ridiculously easy to close the lightbox/popup thingy and lose a review. (All you had to do was click outside the box - very easy to do by accident.) In response, GR implemented an "Are you sure" warning if you tried to close the box without saving any changes.

I'd be surprised if time and resources to implement on-site drafts existed.

message 10: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 532 comments My device cannot use Google Drive. Although I refrain from using my mobile device for typing because the keyboard is a pain in the not-neck.

message 11: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments I would love this idea!

message 12: by Bark (new)

Bark (BarkLessWagMore) | 74 comments I'd be afraid to write any review in the gr system for fear of having it error out before it finished posting. I've had so many comments go "poof" in this manner that I usually don't even bother. I type my reviews in Word and copy and paste them on GR when they're complete. If it errors out I still have my review on my hard drive.

message 13: by Anke (new)

Anke | 400 comments Mel wrote: "Anke wrote: "why not write it in the private notes?"

Unless it's a short comment, a review saved in the private notes won't fit, as it has a small and limited amount of characters for you to write..."

There you go! I only write short reviews, as I don't like to read the long ones. Mostly they start with a recap of the blurb and then I'm afraid of spoilers - the longer the review the more of them tend to show up:)

message 14: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I'd be afraid to write any review in the gr system for fear of having it error out before it finished posting. I've had so many comments go "poof" in this manner that I usually don't even bother. I..."

Good point

message 15: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 423 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I'd be afraid to write any review in the gr system for fear of having it error out before it finished posting. I've had so many comments go "poof" in this manner that I usually don't even bother. I type my reviews in Word and copy and paste them on GR when they're complete. If it errors out I still have my review on my hard drive."

With the frequent appearances of that chair-bitch, it is no hypothetical situation.

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 4225 comments I would also like to be able to draft reviews and to save the drafts. I know one can cut and paste, but I don't always want to do that and sometimes, that is not an option (like as mentioned for people using their phones or if someone might be having an issue with his/her wordprocessing software). If allowing for drafts is a huge problem for GR, I can certainly live without it, but I think that the ability to write draft reviews is much more useful a capability than other proposed suggestions.

message 17: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I'd be afraid to write any review in the gr system for fear of having it error out before it finished posting. I've had so many comments go "poof" in this manner that I usually don't even bother. I..."

I'm never particularly bothered by Alice and her message because I've always assumed that any website is likely to develop problems at exactly the wrong time. There is not enough paranoia on the Internet. In the days of modems and Fido boards (don't ask) only a loony would type large amounts of text into an online system and it is still a useful warning nowadays. Just for the record, I type my comments and messages into a nifty Windows editor called Notepad++, save it as a text file, THEN post it. Not lost a message for many years and never suffered from poor web responses or related tedium.

message 18: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I think a draft option would be great.

message 19: by rameau (new)

rameau | 139 comments I'm used to typing up my reviews on a wordprocessor or another these days, but I'd like the ability to save a draft version of my review too.

Some times the private notes section is too short for random musings about the book I don't want to post in status updates, especially when I'm avoiding spoiling people who haven't read the book yet.

message 20: by Abby (new)

Abby | 2 comments I second all of these comments about wanting a draft review feature! I've wanted that for a while now, and I think it would be very helpful.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (Carole888) | 50 comments I would love a draft option too. I usually start on GR and then copy and paste it to Word. Then after editing, paste it back. Can't count how many times I have lost my first draft!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I send partial reviews and notes as an email to myself when I'm using my phone.

message 23: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ (KarLynP) | 371 comments So needed!! I can't even count how many times I have seen reviewers complaining about a lost review that they wrote using the GR review box, only to accidentally lose it all with no hope of recovery. I know I've lost a few! Saving a draft would be awesome.

message 24: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 161 comments Auto-saving a review/draft would be great!

In the meantime, I've started writing most of my reviews on Evernote which auto-saves, and then copy/pasting it to GR when I'm done. I've lost one too many reviews to GR's peculiarities, and I tend to write long reviews. Last review I lost, I still did not rewrite. Every time I see that book in my Read shelf, I can feel my blood pressure rising...

message 25: by Steph (new)

Steph Sinclair (Stephaniesinclair) | 272 comments I would love this feature!

message 26: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments I would really like this too. Right now I write all my reviews on my blog because it auto saves a draft, so I can be sure that it doesn't get eaten by a GR flub.

message 27: by Laima (new)

Laima | 124 comments What a great idea. I would love this feature added too.

message 28: by Betsy (last edited Nov 14, 2012 01:45AM) (new)

Betsy | 1156 comments I use Firefox and the Lazarus add-on, which serves this function. Any text you type, anywhere in the browser, is recorded. So if for some reason you're interrupted before saving, you can go find the text you typed from the Lazarus archive and recover it.

I don't know whether Lazarus is available for other browsers or mobile devices. Probably not.

message 29: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments A draft option would be great, especially for people who review a lot of ARCs. I can save drafts of my reviews in NetGalley and Edelweiss, why can't I save a draft here.

message 30: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) | 15 comments I'll chime in and add my support to a draft feature! I currently use a work-around, but would love to keep all of my drafts here rather than on my computer.

message 31: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ (KarLynP) | 371 comments Betsy wrote: "I use Firefox and the Lazarus add-on, which serves this function. Any text you type, anywhere in the browser, is recorded. So if for some reason you're interrupted before saving, you can go find t..."

Thanks for the tip! I just added it. (Note: you can find it here via search https://addons.mozilla.org)

message 32: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments There is a Lazarus extension for Chrome too, https://chrome.google.com/webstore/de...

message 33: by Rock (new)

Rock Angel (rockangel) Scott wrote: "On a related note, it would be nice if the site auto-saved a draft as you were writing it, only until it was successfully saved."

+1

"I've taken to just copying the text before I hit the save button."

That too

message 34: by Silent_count (new)

Silent_count | 15 comments Thanks to a combination of connection drop-outs, browser glitches and idiosyncratic web-sites, I long ago learned not trust anything longer than a couple of sentences to a web-page. Even if Goodreads did have a 'draft' facility, I wouldn't trust it to work.

If it's any help to anyone here, I write reviews on Notepad2 (Windows), TextWrangler (Mac), or Notepad+ (Android), then copy/paste them to Goodreads when they're finished. Never had any problems with 'lost' reviews. :)

message 35: by Kristine (last edited Nov 15, 2012 12:33PM) (new)

Kristine (Kristine_A) | 142 comments I would also love this feature.

message 36: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) I too have learned the hard way to write my reviews outside of GR and then paste. I like the Lazarus add-on idea. Just wondering, have you noticed a slowdown with it installed?

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  | 2 comments I think having the option to save reviews as a Draft is a great idea..

message 38: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1156 comments MichelleCH wrote: "I too have learned the hard way to write my reviews outside of GR and then paste. I like the Lazarus add-on idea. Just wondering, have you noticed a slowdown with it installed?"

No, not with Firefox.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I like this idea. Sometimes I just don't want to save it anywhere but in GR, and I can't do that without letting everyone else see it.