Nashua Public Library discussion

What is the worst book you ever read?

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Npldirector (new)

Npldirector   (NPLdirector) | 25 comments Mod
I have read a bunch of dreadful books, although most of the time I give up after a few chapters. Some nominees for worst ever:

Celestine prophecy
Robert Jordan books, the Wheel of Time series
I know there are more to put on this list but mercifully I seem to have forgotten their titles.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 100 comments The problem with "worst books" is that I usually don't finish them. Can we count them if we don't finish them? I slogged through Jack Nicklaus's autobiography for a while and finally gave up; it was just... dull. I really wanted to like it, too.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophieface) I can't NOT finish a book, so when I start a terrible one I'm stuck. This spring I read Roam: A Novel with Musicand I hated every moment of it. I initially picked it up because it had a neat gimmick--there were codes throughout the book that you could scan and listen to music that went along with the story. However, this did not make up for the terrible plot and bad writing. The idea of including links to music in a book is a great idea and something I bet we'll see more of in the future, but this was not a good example of it.

message 4: by Npldirector (new)

I should have asked "what is the most disappointing book you've read?" I bet we've all read books that we expected to be great and left us scratching our heads/

This year I had a couple of big disappointments:

Flight of Gemma Hardy I loved Jane Eyre so much it was a bad idea to try and like an updated version. SNORE

Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George. SO MANY PAGES! I love her books and I didn't hate this one but man did this slog on and the characters were mainly despicable

Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. Tried twice and had to give up, couldn't get past page 5.

message 5: by Npldirector (new)

Hmm, a biography about a really old golfer, what could be boring about that?

Linda wrote: "The problem with "worst books" is that I usually don't finish them. Can we count them if we don't finish them? I slogged through Jack Nicklaus's autobiography for a while and finally gave up; it wa..."

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 100 comments On that note, two very popular books spring to mind:

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency--tried this twice in print, finally got through it on audio. I was just bored, not charmed.

And Janet Evanovich's One for the Money. I keep hearing about how funny these books are supposed to be, but the gritty violence is mainly what sticks in my head. This one also took me 2-3 tries to finish.

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail | 2 comments I was disappointed in Jeffrey Eugenides', The Marriage Plot. Loved Middlesex and couldn't wait to read this one, but the characters didn't draw me into their worlds as I had anticipated.

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophieface) I couldn't agree more. The whole time I was reading The Marriage Plot I just wanted to like any one of the characters.

I had the same problem with two other authors I liked just recently. Dave Eggers' A Hologram for the King and Zadie Smith's NW. I've been an avid fan of their past work, but both these fell flat for me. Neither were awful, but I wanted so much more!

I'm hoping the new Michael Chabon -- Telegraph Avenue -- is as good as some of his past work.

And on the positive side, Junot Diaz's new book of short stories, This Is How You Lose Her, was great.

message 9: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 13 comments I can't remember the name, but it was one of Anita Shreve's books. Unfortunately, I never finished that book and I stayed away from all the rest of her books because of it. It was just so boring. It didn't catch me at all. What do you think about her books?

message 10: by Npldirector (new)

I am definitely not an Anita Shreve fan, I read all of Weight of Water but could not get into the Pilot's wife or The last time they met. I think I am more of a plot reader than character reader, setting is important to me too though.

message 11: by Marylene (new)

Marylene | 13 comments Good to know there is someone who agrees with me out there. :-) I'm a big fan of sitting in the Barnes & Nobles cafe to catch up on reading, writing and magazines and I constantly see people reading her books. I just want to ask what they see in her books and what I'm missing out on.

message 12: by Npldirector (new)

Gail wrote: "I was disappointed in Jeffrey Eugenides', The Marriage Plot. Loved Middlesex and couldn't wait to read this one, but the characters didn't draw me into their worlds as I had anticipated."

Good to know, I've never read his books and I was thinking about "The Marriage Plot" to start with.

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris | 17 comments Since itbwas required reading for my English class sophomore year in high school: "All The Pretty Ponies". After that it was "Ethan Frome" the following year followed by "On The Road", "Peyton Place", and "Death of a Salesman" all in my junior year of college!

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 17 comments *it was*

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 100 comments Required reading does that to me, too. I loved "Pride and Prejudice" when I finally got around to reading it for myself, but when it was required, I struggled to finish it.

That being said, I have never been tempted to reread "The Scarlet Letter." Reading that was like trying to walk through quicksand.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments Linda wrote: "Required reading does that to me, too. I loved "Pride and Prejudice" when I finally got around to reading it for myself, but when it was required, I struggled to finish it.

That being said, I have..."

You should definitely try again; it is a great read.It starts out a little slow while the author is going through an old desk where he finds the scarlet A, but then it picks right up. One of my favorite books.

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 1 comments On the Road and Tell All, ugh, just horrible; and i did not have the excuse to read it during school, this was all my own doing!

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris | 17 comments I just didn't understand "On The Road". I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie | 24 comments Funny, I thought On the Road was phenomenal. Far and away the bleakest book I've ever read, but amazing. :)

It's been years, but I remember finishing Madame Bovary and distinctly wishing I could un-read it. Ugh.

message 20: by Chidambarakumari (new)

Chidambarakumari | 2 comments The most disappointing read of this year was 'The Other Story' by Tatiana de Rosnay. Detestable protagonist and no plot development at all.

message 21: by Kersten (new)

Kersten (Herzelode) | 41 comments Mod
Gail wrote: "I was disappointed in Jeffrey Eugenides', The Marriage Plot. Loved Middlesex and couldn't wait to read this one, but the characters didn't draw me into their worlds as I had anticipated."
Like you, I loved Middlesex - (took me a while to get through it, but it was brilliant). I've actually owned "The Marriage Plot" for the last year but haven't even opened it :( Maybe I don't need to?

message 22: by Kersten (new)

Kersten (Herzelode) | 41 comments Mod
I'd say that "Wuthering Heights" was my worse read (and I know this is one of Katie's favorites ;) ) -- but it made me so angry. Don't get me wrong, it was beautifully written and Emily Bronte certainly is talented. I think she sucked me into the story too much and I got too involved with the characters -> I just hated Heathcliff and Cathy's self centeredness.

message 23: by Npldirector (new)

Kersten I agree with you wholeheartedly! I despised Wuthering Heights! Sorry Katie.

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan Witt | 19 comments Oh dear; I enjoyed most of the books on that list (in particular Robert Jordan, The Scarlet Letter, and Pride and Prejudice...)

I would have to say the worst book I ever read (as in putting it down in disgust with no completionist desires at all) was the Perry Mason murder mysteries, or at least the first book. I'm sure it was an excellent book in its era, but it was too annoying for me to read due to the main character's oft repeated opinions about women.