UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Have you left a book unfinished in a hotel room?

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments I know, I can't believe it, but Travelodge keep a note of the books that are left behind in their rooms.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tra...

I suspect that it is probably more comfortable to sleep on a copy of one of these books than it is to sleep on a Travelodge bed.

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 2765 comments I went through a phase of leaving a copy of Steady Past Your Granny's in any B&B I stopped at in the hope that it might serendipitously find someone who liked it. Still do if I remember.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4261 comments I don't think I've ever left a book behind - I used to bring them back and swap them at the little second hand book stall which used to be in town, if they weren't ones that I would re-read.

I have left(on purpose) a pair of trainers that I wouldn't put into my suitcase after wearing them one day on a trip to Tianjin.

And I haven't read any of the books on that top twenty list. And nowadays it would mean accidently leaving my kindle which I hope I would not do.

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 2765 comments It's hardly the same thing, but I did once manage to leave my cheque book in a chalet in Laugharne. Mind you, I was very, very, drunk ;-)

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments I bet it's people staying in a travel lodge on their own. They get bored, go to buy a book that they wouldn't be caught dead reading normally, and read it in secret while they stay. Then leave the book behind as they don't want anyone to know!

(Can you tell I'm good at people watching?)

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 2765 comments Katy wrote: "I bet it's people staying in a travel lodge on their own. They get bored, go to buy a book that they wouldn't be caught dead reading normally, and read it in secret while they stay. Then leave the ..."

Sounds likely to me.

Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! | 36361 comments I left the Da Vinci Code in a hotel bin. I didn't think they would be happy if I burnt it.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments I left March 1987 playboy in a hotel room. Shame really as it is probably a collectors item now with that classy centre Page articles about the future of books.

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments I've read more than half of the books on that list! (I don't know what that says about me...

Ok, I've spoilered the 11 books from that list that I've read. See if you can guess them...

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 24 comments I've never had time to read a book in a hotel room - it is decades since I stayed in one for more than a couple of nights at a time! I've read stuff I'd never read in a million years when staying in self-catering places for a fortnight or more. Usually books other people have left behind and usually if I was too hot to sleep and would have read anything. I can't remember the titles of them but one was about a woman who tucked a used tampon into her husband's trunks so he would get eaten by a shark while swimming!

Seemed an odd choice of reading matter for a beach holiday!

It was dire and apart from that was mostly long lists of expensive items and furniture with proprietary names. Maybe it was a posh Argos catalogue with a story.

I'm too mean to leave a book behind in a hotel room. But I did leave 95% of my book collection behind in Greece when we moved back because they were smoke damaged from a fire. I don't think I'd ever left a book behind before apart from giving them to people.

message 11: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I regularly leave books in hotels when holidaying in Europe (usually in the lobby) after I've finished them so someone else can read them and I don't have to carry them back in my luggage.

Shan't be doing it so much now that I take my Kindle on holiday though.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments Pre-kindle, I used to leave a trail of books behind me when we were travelling.

Hard to be sentimental about something if you have to carry it around on your back.

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17870 comments I'd often have left books wherever we stayed on holidays but only if there was a wee library. I wouldn't just dump it in the room.

message 14: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) I left my Dallas novel on the train once. Yeah, I know... :-)

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments M wrote: "I left my Dallas novel on the train once. Yeah, I know... :-)"

Well, there goes the reputation.

message 16: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (Melcom) LOL!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments Omg!!! There are Dallas NOVELS???

I really, really, really

Don't want one. :)

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments I visited the Dallas ranch once, when I was in, er, Dallas.

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17870 comments I'm just thinking, I've never left an unfinished book. I'll leave a finished one but not an unfinished one, I don't not finish books.

message 20: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Sep 13, 2012 08:29PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments Oh. UNfinished.

I used to leave crap books all over the place.

Now I stick them in my 'crap' collection.

Edited to add...

And if amazon ever gets manage my kindle sorted to be user friendly, I'll be deleting everything in my crap collection.

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments I've got too many unstarted books on my TBR pile to keep going with a book I'm not enjoying. I'm very mercenary, I'm afraid: Life's too short and the TBR's too long to waste my time with rubbish...

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17870 comments I've not read that many books on my kindle that I haven't enjoyed. But then I usually only read recommendations from this group :o)

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments i delete books i don't like unless i've paid for them and then they get shoved onto someone elses kindle

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments I don't have the patience to deal with manage my kindle, Elle.

message 25: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:57AM) (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments thankfully it quickened up a bits ages ago for me and ever since i can deal with it in small doses. generally speaking though music is on full blast in the background and when it is, i can deal with most things.

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17870 comments I just wish it didnt have to flipping refresh after each book that you delete. Being able to delete more than one at a time would be helpful

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "I just wish it didnt have to flipping refresh after each book that you delete. Being able to delete more than one at a time would be helpful"

Yep. I want tick boxes.

Have emailed amazon twice so far.

message 28: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments I also emailed them but I also requested some sort of organising system - maybe you can hide books or add them to folders or something?

I mean slightly confusing why anyone would want it but I'd like my manage my kindle to be just as organised as my own kindle especially given how many people use my account

message 29: by Tim (last edited Sep 14, 2012 10:25AM) (new)

Tim | 9423 comments Is there a way to get the book's description up on the kindle (or app)? I've got so many books now that I don't remember what half of them are about, especially the freebies...

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments if you go into menu for the book (like right arrowing) there is a product description bit or something but you need your wifi/3g as it connects to the shop and shows it there

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments Yep that's it, Peanut.

Would be great if all authors would put the blurb on the page after the cover, wouldn't it? Then we wouldn't have to faff about with connecting to t'internet.

Amazon should make that a requisite when uploading a book...

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments Doesn't work on the iPad or Nexus 7 though :(

It really should have been included in the list view on the home screen (or an expanded list view) imho.

message 33: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments omg shiny newness.

i was just messing with my ipod. okay so you know when you go into a book in the app theres like a little book graphic at the bottom beside the Aa thingie.

well if you go into extras there is a 'super-short synopses' for the book i'm reading.

message 34: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments Works on the iPad too, but only if the book has extras (a lot don't - Darren's UNDEAD trilogy wot I'm reading right now doesn't, for instance) And you've still got to open the book to get to it, which buggers up the order on the home screen (I have recent books at the top)

The android app doesn't seem to have the extras menu at all (at least I can't find it...)

message 35: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments hmmmmm
thats actually pretty damn annoying.

message 36: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments Yeah,

The more you play with the Kindle app, the more you realise it's only half-thought-out. And it STILL doesn't support collections! :(

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments I really don't like the iPad kindle app at all.

Wasn't too bad before they updated it. Now I can't make sense of it.

message 38: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "I really don't like the iPad kindle app at all.

Wasn't too bad before they updated it. Now I can't make sense of it."

They did update the update, after it got massively one-starred in the app store, so it's less bad. But I still wish they'd fix the missing features rather than buggering up what's already there..

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments Yeah I've got the updated update.

Still don't like it.

message 40: by Elle (last edited Sep 15, 2012 02:08AM) (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments I just HATE the fact that ALL the books appear in the cloud now rather than before they disappeared if you downloaded them from the archive...

What a bloody ANNOYING feature

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61363 comments I just checked. It sez my cloud is emp-tee.

Stupid thing.

message 42: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9423 comments Another reason why it's important to add features like inline summaries and collections, because they've turned it into an unholy mess.