Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Year-Only Birthdate

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy (aughadan) | 25 comments I noticed that if only the year in a birthdate is entered into the Author Info, the rest of the date defaults to January 1. There's a lot of authors who I only know the year of birth for, so it would be useful to be able enter the year without the month and day. Would this be very difficult to implement?

message 2: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi Aughadan,

A great idea, but unfortunately not easy to implement given how we store the data. We'll shelf it for a rainy day though!

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy (aughadan) | 25 comments Okay, then. Thanks!

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandushinka) | 7 comments Would the guidance then be it's better not to enter a date unless you have the full one (since it shows Jan 1 by default)?

message 5: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Armistead (technomom) | 159 comments Sandy, I put that information in the description. That way it isn't lost. That's where I put the AKA information, too, until we get that feature.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandushinka) | 7 comments Ah, good idea. Thanks!

message 7: by Stan (new)

Stan (editorsykm) | 7 comments I guess the rainy day never came? Birth years are great for disambiguation, but it is confusing to default to January 1. I guess I'll go back and put Alan Carter's birth year in his bio, instead of in the date field.