We Love/Hate semicolons! discussion

"Transvestite hermaphrodites." Agree/disagree?

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (last edited Sep 11, 2012 09:53AM) (new)

Tom Conrad (Tom_Conrad) | 28 comments Mod
“Do not use semicolons,” Kurt once said. “They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.”

Do you agree or disagree?

NB: I explored this subject in my new novella: -

That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die....

That Semicolon Bitch Had To Die.... by Tom Conrad

It's a fictional love story, Frankie loves the ellipsis, Abbey the semicolon - when they break-up, punctuation spills!

Available on Kindle/Amazon - shameless plug... :)

message 2: by Brendan (new)

Brendan Carroll (BrendanCarroll) | 1 comments Sounds like a trick question, but I will take a stab at it. I am in favor of semi-colons. I like punctuation and wish we had lots more... in fact, I would like to use "smileys" in my writing in order to get across the exact intent of the text. I have heard my work read aloud and have discovered our symbols leave much to be desired. I would go for colons, semi-colons, irritated colons, cleansed colons and ruptured colons.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Beautiful answer, Brendan.

And thanks for joining this small but soon to be fully rounded group - rounded like a fat full stop.

NB: I'm all for smileys, think you should do it, write a book using them, instead of describing your character's emotions... :) and let me know if/when you do!

message 4: by Jonny (new)

Jonny Gibbings (JonnyGibbings) | 5 comments I used to like semi-colons till mother fuckers started using them to do a winky, smiley face, that just screams pedophile. And yes, I'm with Kurt, cos my dad was a hermaphrodite (he was a prick and a twat) so I am against semi-colons. And any other punctuation that sounds like an anus.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Thanks, Jonny (sort of thanks). I do sense your pain and anger though.

NB: Only took three posts for someone to use the word 'paedophile' - that must be some sort of trolling record?!

:) ;) :)

message 6: by Jonny (new)

Jonny Gibbings (JonnyGibbings) | 5 comments Man this has got me thinking now. I've gone exclamation mark crazy. I've just noticed I use two, sometimes three !'s Oh no, I fear for what this post has started!

message 7: by Tom (last edited Sep 11, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

Yeah, sticklers hate that (I'm not a stickler). I once wrote something where I escalated the !s so it was HEY! WHAT THE HELL!! YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!!

Nowadays, I try and keep it simple with one. Always one!

message 8: by Jonny (new)

Jonny Gibbings (JonnyGibbings) | 5 comments Do you think there might be money in a '!' rehab?

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Leov Lealand (ChristineLeovLealand) | 1 comments Haha I was always disconcerted by the unused key right where a more useful letter should be on the typewriter - the ;
At some moment in my professional writing career I began to use them now & then to give a kind of 'listening pause' as if mid way through listing things.
However I am a ! Addict and a - addict to boot.
We removed tons of both from our new novel The Secret Empire but at least - for the sake of my ebook formatting I'm not devoted to ...!

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Loock Most assertively ... in favour! We - can, not - have enough punctuation marks..
That ".." at the end of the last sentence was not a mistake, it is a "double full stop" (you've seen it here first, future linguists!) indicating that sentence is really over.

Additional thought: When I first heard about the semi-colon, I thought it meant a comma you are not sure about - thus the "semi". Now that I know it isn't, I propose a new punctuation mark indicating just that, maybe a combination of question mark and comma - though my keyboard does not have that (yet).