The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Episode #42 Some News, Etc.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Sep 11, 2012 08:10AM) (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 70 comments First, Simon and Gav did scare me though they kept insisting not to be dismayed, Gavin will be back. You both said it so many times that I began to wonder. I certainly hope Gavin gets out of his reading funk and returns to The Readers. He is an integral part of the podcast and half of the the reason I listen (as I like Simon too). The cast would not be the same without Gavin.

I got a great big snort of a chuckle when Simon mentioned not having his recommendation on the paperback copy of some book, probably because he hasn't read Dickens! Good think I wasn't drinking anything at the time.

Glad to hear Gavin enjoyed Val McDermid's A Place of Execution. I'm a fan.

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (last edited Sep 13, 2012 06:17AM) (new)

Elizabeth☮ i feel confident that gavin will take a nice break and return refreshed and ready to read!

sometimes taking a break from reading helps you to realize how much you love it. it's good to miss it sometimes.

message 3: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 68 comments I am so glad you answered this question that I posed about quotations on books. Bravo, good explanations! I especially had not considered the difference between the quotations on the back of a paperback vs. hardback. I appreciated the comments on book blurbs because this, as well, can be a pet peeve of mine. It really annoys me when I turn over a book that "looks" good and find that it has no blurb…only reviews. My boyfriend is more like Simon—he hates blurbs because they can give too much away. I used to not agree until I experienced being slapped in the face by a blurb myself. This happened to me once reading the back of a DVD, which gave away the surprise plot element (murder) of the story (it was based on a true story, but I didn’t know of either the film or the real life incident). The second time was reading a review on Goodreads for a book I was interested in reading but knew very little about. My snooping of reviews exposed the surprise (the book “Never Let Me Go”) and although I enjoyed the book regardless, I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn’t known as much going into it. Also, ditto o Gavin’s comment about short plot summaries which are so vague, they may as well have not written anything.

P.S. I also find it annoying when the praise for a writer is through comparison of great authors, such as “The next Agatha Christie!” or when they claim it will be the next said prize-winner. It is also disconcerting when I see quotations from people I don’t know from fake sounding websites. I recently read a book which was so bad…(it was my pick and no one showed up for my book club that week), but the quotation on the front cover was by someone from “wowowow.com”. I was suspicious upon seeing this, and I should have known better!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 59 comments I listened to the first part of the podcast on the way to work, and found myself wanting to add my two cents to the conversation--in the car, that is! This topic has bothered me ever since I read "The Age of Miracles" this summer. On the back of the book were about 10 reviews, but two or three of them were from former teachers! (She thanked them in the acknowledgements.) You both looked at this subject differently than I did; I always think it's a "I'll give you a great review if you give me a great review," instead of being helpful to the reader. So know I'm looking at it differently. I have started to not read the book jacket; too much is given away on the flap and in reviews these days.

Gavin, you will be missed, but I'm sure you'll be raring to go upon return from your holiday! I can't wait to see what Simon has in store for us! :-)

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 68 comments Chris wrote: "I listened to the first part of the podcast on the way to work, and found myself wanting to add my two cents to the conversation--in the car, that is! This topic has bothered me ever since I read "..."

Chris, I have often wondered the same thing. Motive for quotes, that is. It's interesting that you noticed they were teachers of the author listed in the acknowledgments!

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Gav isn't having much of a holiday. He makes a guest appearance on a special tomorrow!

message 7: by Carl (last edited Sep 13, 2012 02:27PM) (new)

Carl (catamite) | 3 comments I just discovered you about six weeks ago Simon and Gavin and i'm completely addicted so please Gavin, get a good recharge and come back.

Simon, you know how you feel about not wanting to finish a series of novels? Well that's how i've been with these podcasts. I'm working my way back but have had to slow down or I'll catch up with you.

I frequently disagree with you. In a good way.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentwist) | 26 comments Chris wrote: "I listened to the first part of the podcast on the way to work, and found myself wanting to add my two cents to the conversation--in the car, that is! This topic has bothered me ever since I read "..."
I agree Chris - I am very cynical about book blurbs and assume that authors blurb other books to get their own name out there (when an author like Kathryn Stockett blurbs several books, all I can think is "You've only written one book - get over yourself, stop blurbing, and get back to work!"). I also assume that if the blurbs are all about previous books for that author then that means this book isn't very good and they are trying to boost sales of their rubbish new book by riding on the coat tails of past success. I don't think I've ever bought a book because an author that I like blurbed it. I'm much more reliant on bloggers and Goodread-ers that I trust (this means you, fellow reader!)

Meanwhile - I'm intrigued by the "guest appearance on a special" that Gav was doing?? What's the scoop?

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris | 59 comments Jennifer wrote: "Chris wrote: "I listened to the first part of the podcast on the way to work, and found myself wanting to add my two cents to the conversation--in the car, that is! This topic has bothered me ever ..."

You said it better than I did, Jennifer! Love your Kathryn Stockett comment! :-)

message 10: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ interesting podcast. you guys made good points about blurbs and author's comments.

i'll admit that i do look to see author's name and what they might say about a given book. but i am very skeptical as to whether they actually read the book.

i try not to read too much of the blub to give the entire plot away. blubs can be like movie previews in the movie theater after which you don't need to see the movie because they give the plot away (on the plus side, it saves you money).

message 11: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 22 comments My fellow book group readers can't believe that I never read blurbs anymore. I like to form my own impressions as I read a book, but like Simon I always take a look once the book is finished. I suppose this is probably because most of the books I choose I already know of the author or I have heard something in the media so have an idea of what sort of book to expect. The exception to this is picking books at random from the library but this is not something I do often. Selecting something just by the look of the cover or by the sound of the title or author is rare for me. I can't call to mind anything I have read recently in such circumstances.

Love love love the podcast and thanks for introducing me to BOTNS too.

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 135 comments I'm glad Gavin has had the courage and foresight to take a break before he feels totally drained and fed up of book reviews.
Everyone needs a holiday and I would hate to think that my favourite banterers were losing their enjoyment of podcasting just because they don't want to let us down.
I think taking a break also gives the other host the opportunity to indulge in a personal project that maybe less interesting to the other host.

The other day I dived straight into some random book I found on my shelves and was quite shocked when within the first chapter a main character dies.
I later discovered that this death was revealed in the blurb and I was glad I hadn't read it as my shock and surprise added to my enjoyment of the book and pulled me into the story early on.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Gardner (nose_in_a_book) | 40 comments I must say I was surprised by Simon's comment in the podcast re quotes on books that if it's from a newspaper it doesn't matter which one. I am definitely put off by a quote from a tabloid, just as much as by a quote from a gossip/celeb magazine. I prefer to think of it not as snobbishness as having high standards for journalism that those publications do not meet.

I am a sucker for a quote from an author I know and like, though. Especially one who has talked or written about books, such as Nick Hornby. (Seriously, anyone who hasn't read his Stuff I've Been Reading column in The Believer should check it out. He is clever and hilarious.)