Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Author marketing sites

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Miller (mikeemiller) | 15 comments Hi, all. I was contacted the other day by a guy who runs a review website called askdavid.com. His site allows you to post a description about your book and people can rate and write reviews and it pulls in your amazon reviews as well. He does this for free - he just asks that you link back to him from your website or blog.

He boasts a couple thousand or so Twitter followers and about the same number of Facebook fans.

Note: I'm not affiliated in any way. I just offered to post a link on Goodreads.

message 2: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Lee | 10 comments On Aug 11 I decided to put the first part of my novel on a blog to get feedback as I create it. Now I have 2700 readers. I waiting for more views before I get advertisers.

We got feedback on the online novel as to the sexual depiction. The novel contains more violent depictions than sexual. However, the main goal of the novel is to expose disability discrimination so we decided to only refer in general to sex. We want people to learn about disability rights without being offended. We finding it disturbing that people do not find violence offensive but find sex offensive. So we are okay with watching and reading about the taking of life and we are not okay watching or reading about sexual pleasure or the making of life. But regardless our goal is to educate about disability rights in an interesting way and not to offend. If anyone has anymore feedback let us know.

See revisions at
http://heatheatheatheat.blogspot.com/...

message 3: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Lee | 10 comments Heat For Our Civil Rights

Heat is an online novel. It is mainly about a senior federal judge's attraction to women with amputees. The plot explores disability rights through the eyes of a lawyer born into a wealthy family and with a disability and other characters. As the novel is written it is posted on the blog, you can help develop the plot by posting your ideas on the blog.

On Aug 11, 2012 I decided to put the first part of my novel on a blog to get feedback as I create it. Now I have 2895 readers. I wait for more views before I get advertisers.

I got feedback on the online novel as to the sexual depiction. The novel contains more violent depictions than sexual. However, the main goal of the novel is to expose disability discrimination so I decided to only refer in general to sex. We want people to learn about disability rights without being offended. Our goal is to educate about disability rights in an interesting way and not to offend.

Two months ago I discovered "devotees" - people that are sexually attracted to people with disabilities. I decided to write a short story about devotees. Then I decided to broaden the story to include disability rights. I have published 3 books on lulu.com but they did not create revenue. So I decided to create a novel blog to attract viewers and advertisers.

The primary readers are mystery lovers, people with disabilities and their families, lawyers, legal professionals, and devotees.

The beauty of this novel is it is a "living document" so I post a part as I write it. Then I change it based on viewer feedback. For example, sex and disability description was offensive to many viewers so I "watered" down the sex stuff.

The title "Heat" is from the "Heat of Passion" element of voluntary manslaughter in criminal law. Under my birth name I was a lawyer for 20 years until I represented an alleged prostitute with disabilities. She lied to the bar about me. I decided to stipulate to a nolo contender of disbarment for health reasons. I hated being a lawyer. So the disbarment frees me up to do what I love - write and produce videos with my team.

My team and I conduct extensive research to write the novel. However, all the characters and love scenes are based on real people and events.

Wow, we learned much from Novel Blogging. We discovered we had to make each post stand on its own and short. Also, we must repeatedly put the first part of the novel on all the social networks each day and email disability groups world wide each day. To broaden the viewers we reduced the sex stuff. We must write and market at the same time.

We want our readers to give us feedback and follow the novel.

From Arthur Lee
http://heatheatheatheat.blogspot.com/...

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments Thanks Mike! I filled out the information and submitted. I appreciate you sharing it.

Denise Baer
http://www.authordenisebaer.com/

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Oh yes I am on Askdavid.

I must add the link to my website- thanks for reminding me.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin Wilkerson | 25 comments Thanks for pointing this out Mike, I got mine posted yesterday, here it is http://askdavid.com/reviews/book/scie...

message 8: by O. (last edited Sep 16, 2012 03:40PM) (new)

O. (owarfield) | 52 comments Led By An Eagle

Doberman Omar Blue and his Pack travel into the mountains to meet his kin. Though reluctant to leave their beloved K-9 Town, USA, Omar's followers look forward to learning more about the mysterious leader they have grown to love and respect.

It's no secret they're being followed by Mountain Lion Booby and his Pride. Fearless to a fault, their attitude is, "Let them come. We'll handle them when they're ready.”

But taking nothing for granted, being true to their breeds and love for hunting lions, Rhodesian Ridgebacks Koffe and Tee and Bulldogs Betty and Jim set out to handle the trouble before it reaches the pack.

Omar would never say no, but knowing his unique talents, they heed his advice, "Don’t approach the mountain lions, keep them in your sights. We'll make sure they see us leaving. They’ll follow us for sure.”
The scouting four could see one of Omar's special plans in the works. They would do as they were told. What was their leader up to?

Meanwhile Booby is livid that Rottweiler Brady the professor had gotten the best of him in front of his followers.

As they travel through the mountains, the lions' numbers are growing. Picking up kin along the way. "Gonna rid this land of Omar Blue and his Pack once and for all," says Booby.

That's the plan.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Eagle-Omar-...

Visit Omar Blue's blog about the day to day adventures of Omar and his Pack. Always something going on at http://omarblue.blogspot.com.

message 9: by Mike (last edited Sep 18, 2012 10:42AM) (new)

Mike Miller (mikeemiller) | 15 comments There is another place I found... Ok, well, they found me, lol.

Anyway, it is http://www.bloggerdise.com. If you haven't heard it if, it is a way for bloggers to find products (read books) to review. It is free. I don't know how effective it is yet, but I did sign up.

Edit:

Ahem... As I'm looking, it seems that there are about ten times more books than book blogs.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Free today only, 9/18/12: http://www.amazon.com/TIME-AGAIN-sequ...

message 11: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 217 comments How on earth has this topic turned into a spam fest?

Did no-one actually read the OP...?

message 12: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Hallowell | 62 comments Michael wrote: "How on earth has this topic turned into a spam fest?

Did no-one actually read the OP...?"

I did. You're not alone.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike Miller (mikeemiller) | 15 comments I updated the thread title. We'll see if it helps...

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Palm | 30 comments Michael,
I am really sorry about spamming. I have deleted my post on this thread. I am a blind author and misunderstood. My screen reader program is hard to muttle through with sometimes. I just noticed the topic title "Another place to post your book". When I opened it up I read the last few comments with my screen reader and they all had book info. So I thought that's what I was supposed to do. I am really sorry for the frustration. Hopefully other authors will decide to delete theres as well. No offence intended:)

message 15: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 217 comments No problem Nicole, in your case it's perfectly understandable.

This sort of thing can sometimes be as amusing as it is annoying, with a thread suddenly flooded with desperate authors trying to flog their stuff. It's as if they're all poised at their keyboards, desperately waiting for someone else to go first, and then it's all MUST POST MUST POST MUST POST MUUUUUUST POOOOOOST.

I've probably done it myself, actually.

Quick question about screen readers: If I throw in random letters or large spaces, does it make the software crash? If I change the font size, does it suddenly shout and scare the dog?

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Ill check that website out. Im always looking to promote and im even looking for peoples links to feature on my site.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Still a few hours left to download my latest novel for free http://www.amazon.com/TIME-AGAIN-sequ...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I concur with Mike's remarks about Askdavid. He has been extremely helpful in promoting my book at no cost to me.Even more impressive is that he answers my e-mails promptly. I have written a courtroom/baseball drama called A pitch for Justice available on any ebook reader.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Parker (michaelparker) | 92 comments My latest Amazon publication, HELL'S GATE is free on Thursday for 3 days. www.amazon.com/dp/B008N3MT6E

message 20: by D.E.M. (new)

D.E.M. Emrys (d_e_m_emrys) | 17 comments New to all this - and I've just noticed the 'AskDavid' link above. Has anyone shown a proven increase via using the website?

D.

message 21: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments My book is now listed on AskDavid.com and I also promoted his site on all groups im in here on Goodreads and posted a link to it on my sidebar of my site. However I am curious too Has anyone gotten any increases in site visitors, sales, reviews, etc.?

message 22: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Smith | 37 comments My book is on AskDavid.com as well. I've had a bump in Web site traffic and my sales on Amazon went up (and then back down) but I couldn't tell you if it was because of AskDavid or any of the multitude of other tools I'm using. I've honestly found that the more business cards I hand out, the better my sales turn out to be. AskDavid.com is just one of many tools and, since, it's free, why not make use of it?

www.WhichOneAmI.net

message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Thomas Im betting it was your other tools cause AskDavid.com has done jack for me..ive seen hardly any boost in web traffic and probably no sales..I dont know what more I can do on their site to help get my book noticed.