What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Witch's Handbook
This topic is about The Witch's Handbook
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Children's book - how to be a witch [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ludwig | 6 comments Hi there was a book in my elementary school library I thought it was called 'How to be a witch' but I can't find anything under that title. It was a silly, illustrated, fun book about how to be a witch. It told you how to dress like a witch, with striped stockings, black hat, ect. I was in elementary school in the early 90's. Thank you for any help!!!

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ludwig | 6 comments No it wasn't a story, each page was a different tutorial on how to be a witch, like what to wear, what the house should look like, a page on potions

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:24AM) (new)

Humbug Witch by Lorna Balian

Humbug Witch. This isn't a book on how to be a witch, but it is a children's illustrated book about a girl trying to be a witch. It sounds like the one you're looking for in the way she dresses (she describes her black hat, striped stockings, gloves, stringy hair, etc). I grew up with this book and it's a cute one, even if it isn't the one you're looking for :P

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ludwig | 6 comments That is a good one, I will probably get that one for my daughter as well. The one I'm talking about is from the witch's perspective, telling you how to be a witch.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Was this a picture book? I have a faint memory of reading a book like that,and the strongest memory is of the striped stockings.

Cant remember the title for now though..

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ludwig | 6 comments Yes there were fully page illustrations, there was a two page spread of the inside of a witch's house

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments I found two that sort of match your description: The Witch's Handbook and The Wacky Book Of Witches .

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ludwig | 6 comments The Witch's Handbook is very, very similar, although not the exact book. The illustrations are more cartoonish in the book I'm thinking of. But everything else is so similar, how everything is labeled in the house, ect. I don't think I'm gonna pay $300 though!!! Wonder why it's so expensive?

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Anything that the publisher didn't release a lot of is ALWAYS expensive. I have a couple of books on my "wish list" that I've seen once or twice and they were a LOT more than your $300 price. Both were privately published in VERY limited editions and haven't been re-printed since. I keep looking, hoping that someday I'll get lucky and walk into a thrift store and there they will be, for only $1 or $2. :o)

message 11: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Anything that the publisher didn't release a lot of is ALWAYS expensive. I have a couple of books on my "wish list" that I've seen once or twice and they were a LOT more than your $300 price. Bot..."

Yes, and if there's a lot of time in between the original printing and now, it gets worse. My own holy grail is Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures which is usually $200 and up. There's also a weird thing about Amazon in that booksellers use algorithmic pricing that can backfire on them, as per this article:

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/i...

One book was listed at $23 million due to battling computers. Always double check other resellers as well as Amazon for used books and goods.

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ludwig | 6 comments Ok I can't believe this but it has been 20 years...funny how the mind works...it IS The Witch's Handbook!! Them more I looked at pictures the more it came together in my mind!!! After all these years I must have just made up some images in my mind of what I thought it had looked like!! Now I just have to save up some serious money....Thanks so much everyone what a great website this is!!!

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments I loved this book as a kid! I have been looking for it, but there are so many books with this title! Thank you so much for posting this, and thank you to the person who solved it! My parents thought this book was funny, not realising it would turn me into the weirdo I am today :P

I don't have that kind of money, either, so for the moment I'll be satisfied with shelving another childhood fave and that someone else loved this as I did!

Laura Morrigan (lauramorrigan) | 76 comments Kathryn wrote: "Ok I can't believe this but it has been 20 years...funny how the mind works...it IS The Witch's Handbook!! Them more I looked at pictures the more it came together in my mind!!! After all these yea..."

oh wait, check book depository. They don't have any at the moment, but their sister site abebooks does. I haven't used it but their prices look pretty good.

message 15: by Yinzadi (last edited Sep 17, 2012 08:19PM) (new)

Yinzadi | 27 comments I've been following this thread because it seemed like an awesome book and I wanted to see what it turned out to be, and then I looked it up on amazon to see just how expensive it was. The Witch's Handbook is listed by 26 sellers on the US amazon for as low as $6. I don't know how international shipping works through the US amazon, but I thought it might be something worth checking out for the two people who said they'd really like to own the book but found the cost prohibitive.

And to the other poster who mentioned Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures, that's listed by eight sellers for $42 and up. Still somewhat expensive, but maybe if it's usually in the 100's of dollars range that might be useful too.

I'm glad you found it!