Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

24 views
What We're Reading > Did everyone survive Labor Day?

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa What are you reading this week?


message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments I'm reading Fangland by John Marks and The Green Mile by Stephen King at the moment.

One question, what the hell is Labor Day?


message 3: by Melki (last edited Sep 12, 2012 03:09AM) (new)

Melki Here is the Wiki definition of Labor Day -
Labor Day is an American federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers.

Maybe, at one time. Now it is celebrated as a last gasp of summer, a time for one more barbecue, one more get-to-gether, and for some, a day to close up the swimming pool for the winter.

When I was a kid, it was significant because school ALWAYS started the next day.

And I'm reading The Chocolate War for the Banned Book Genre Challenge.


message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Melki wrote: "Here is the Wiki definition of Labor Day -
Labor Day is an American federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers.

May..."


So basically it's an excuse for a party, I like it! Wonder if I could get it to catch on over here...


message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Private GamesPrivate Games and A Spoonful of Murder. I like the Private series and enjoying this one. Spoonful of Murder is first in a new cozy series. I now have a desire to make soup and the book is ok so far.


message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Getting ready to start Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague and Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Just finished Before I Go To Sleep last night and enjoyed it. Gave it four stars. If you like thrillers, I recommend that one.


message 7: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I just finished The Face on the Milk Carton for the banned books genre challenge and it was really good. Can't figure why it would be banned.

Just started Where You Once Belonged.


message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I'm Rereading The Passage so I can have it fresh in my head. I thought I had forgotten quite a bit but as I read, I realize I remember most. All other reading and library books lists are on hold. Well...most. I am still working my way through One Dead In Attic, the collection of essays regarding Hurricane Katrina by a journalist who covered the whole thing and was also a resident of New Orleans. It is hard to read but very well written.


message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments Caroline. Bird by Bird is very good. It was required in my creative writing class and I enjoyed it.


message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Caroline wrote: "Getting ready to start Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague and Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Just finished Before I Go To Sleep last night and enjoyed it. Gave it four sta..."

Three very different yet equally good books!


message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Theresa wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Getting ready to start Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague and Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Just finished Before I Go To Sleep last night and enjoyed it...."

Yes, all of them are good, and I'm glad, because I've read more crappy books than good books this year. :(


back to top