Literary Exploration discussion

Random Book Banter > Literary Awards

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Let's talk Literary Awards

message 2: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

The Man Booker Short list was announced a few hours ago; http://literary-exploration.com/2012/...

For easy reference; here is the list.

The Garden of Evening Mists
Swimming Home
Bring Up the Bodies
The Lighthouse
Umbrella
Narcopolis

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (Janaz28) Has anyone read one or more of those books? Any recommendations? I havent't read any so far.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nantown) | 46 comments I really enjoyed Bring Up the Bodies

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice (Janaz28) Nancy wrote: "I really enjoyed Bring Up the Bodies"

Thank you :) I think they all sound great, putting them on my ever-growing to-read list! Have you read Wolf Hall before reading Bring Up the Bodies?

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nantown) | 46 comments I did read Wolf Hall but didn't enjoy it nearly as much and you don't really have to read Wolf Hall before you read Bring Up the Bodies.

message 7: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

What does everyone thing about Bring Up the Bodies winning the Man Booker prize this year?

message 8: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I am really quite disappointed. Although I did like both of her books, they are not easy to read and I have just started Swimming Home which was also shortlisted and am really enjoying this different little gem. Than again I find I often disagree with the books picked for many of these wards.

message 9: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I secretly wanted Swimming Home to win; adored that book

message 10: by Andrea (last edited Oct 16, 2012 10:33PM) (new)

Andrea | 57 comments I haven't read Bring Up the Bodies yet, but I really enjoyed Wolf Hall and I have heard that Bring Up the Bodies is even better. I'm adding Swimming Home to my TBR list.

message 11: by Moi (new)

Moi (moimoi) | 4 comments Both of Mantel's books are outstanding, highly deserving of the prize

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick Michael wrote: "What does everyone thing about Bring Up the Bodies winning the Man Booker prize this year?"

I'm very surprised. If I was her I'd withdraw the final part of the trilogy from consideration before it's even published.

message 13: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I love Hillary Mantel's writing, loved Wolf Hall and will read the Bring Up The Bodies soon. I'm fine with her winning :)

John Le Carre tried to withdraw and they would not remove his name, so I don't think an author can withdraw.

message 14: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick Didn't John le Carré ask to withdraw after being shortlisted? I'm sure if you announced at/before publication that you didn't wish to be considered that would be a different thing. Hell, J.K. Rowling managed the trick with the Smarties prize after winning it with the first three Harry Potters. It may not be directly comparable, I know, but still....

message 15: by M.L. (last edited Oct 21, 2012 11:07AM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I think if an author renounced an award at publication or before his/her book was even published that would be a bit presumptuous! :)

message 16: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Burton (lsburton337) | 4 comments I think writers love awards. They usually mean money. *waggles eyebrows* I think there'd need to be a really good reason for turning it down.

I think 'being a class act' is a good reason, usually.

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 12 comments Michael wrote: "What does everyone thing about Bring Up the Bodies winning the Man Booker prize this year?"

I am loving it! Neither it nor Wolf Hall seemed like my thing but I had to read both because I am on a personal challenge to read every Booker Prize winner ever(along with a lot of the long and short lists). Like most people I had trouble "getting into" Wolf Hall but once I was in I found it oddly compelling and started on Bring Up The Bodies as soon as I finished Wolf Hall. Hilary Mantel has done a brilliant job of bringing these historical characters to life. Even though I know the story and the eventual outcome I am totally enthralled by Mantel's telling of it.