What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wilderness Champion: The Story of a Great Hound
This topic is about Wilderness Champion
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Dog & Wolf raised together, book follows their lives [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) In the early 70's, I read a book about a dog (possibly a hound) and a wolf. I can't recall how they met, but they were like brothers & the book follows their lives. They're not always together, the dog becoming domesticated & the wolf wild. At one point, I think the dog is used as a fantastic hunter, but won't hunt the wolf or his pack. Not sure, though.

I'm fairly sure it was a book, but it could have been a short story or novella. It's not "Call of the Wild" or "Whitefang" & my vague recollection is that it's not by London at all. That could be wrong.

spoiler alert!

I remember the end the best because it was quite poignant. The dog winds up with man & the wolf as the leader of his pack, I think. Something happens & the wolf gets into a fight. He gets a punctured lung, but wins the fight. He goes off to a flat rock, possibly a pinnacle, with the dog to guard him as he lays down & dies.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) bump

message 4: by Jordan K (new)

Jordan K Bell (jordankbell) | 4 comments Maybe The Good Dog by Avi? It sounds familiar, but it was years ago that I read it.

message 5: by Jim (last edited Sep 16, 2012 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Thank you, Jordan, but I don't think that is it. It is similar. Something like getting lured away from civilization by a she wolf might have happened in the book, the main wolf was male.

I think the dog was raised with wolves & then captured & domesticated. I seem to recall he was a hunting dog of some sort, not a sled dog, but I could be wrong on that point. I've been wracking my brain & even asked my cousin, but he doesn't remember it, either. Still, in discussing the many books of this sort, we could create some false memories.

I see this was also first published in 2001. We read the one I'm looking for back in the late 60's or early 70's. It could have been a YA book, although by that time I was mostly reading adult books.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Could this be Wilderness Champion, by Joseph Lippincott? The dog is a red hound, and the wolf is black in that book. At one point, the dog is entered in a dog show and wins.

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Pamela, that doesn't sound quite like it, but I'll check further. One of the reviewers of Wilderness Champion: The Story of a Great Hound mentions a book before it called "Wolf King" & that's kind of ringing a bell. Thanks! This might be the right track.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments I've read Wolf King as well, and there's no dog living with the pack in it. It's a prequel to Wilderness Champion. There's a big fight at the end between the wolf king (and maybe his pack, too) and a bunch of hunting dogs in a cabin. There's a dramatic picture of the fight that I remember clearly.

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) That doesn't sound like it, then. I don't recall the book being illustrated, either. It's been a long time, though. Thanks.

message 10: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I've ordered "Champion" & it should be here soon. I'm not sure it is correct, but it sounds interesting enough to take a flyer on.

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I got "Champion" just now & read some of the end. Found what I was looking for. This was it! Thanks so much, Pamela.

If I can, I'll move this to Solved. If not, would one of the moderators be so kind?

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments You're welcome. The Wolf King is a good book, too.

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I wanted to get it too, Pamela, but the cheapest I'm finding it for is $110. That's a bit out of my budget. The only book I've ever paid that much for was a 2 book Here There Be Dragons & Way Up High numbered and signed by Roger Zelazny with illustrations by Vaughn Bode. I'm a fan of both and waited for years to find it at that price. Actually, that was the cost with shipping, a real present to myself.