The Sword and Laser discussion

2013 Fantasy Pin-Up Calendar

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Sep 11, 2012 02:45AM) (new)

Jess (cutsie1) | 3 comments I just saw a post on facebook from the author Robin Hobb about this and did have to giggle about the idea (call me immature)

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/...

So the questions - Which characters would you most love to see in this calendar and from which book?

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess (cutsie1) | 3 comments Although not an avid fan of the Mortal Instruments series - I think Isabelle Lightwood would be cool in her whole Shadowhunter get up.

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
Wow that's a cool idea. I didn't hear about last years.

Too many authors to do all of them, but I'll throw out:

Jim Butcher - Molly Carpenter (Dresden Files). Butcher already describes her as a pin-up. Seems like the obvious choice.

Martin has so many characters, I'm not sure who you'd pick. Daenerys (SoIaF) seems like a fairly obvious pick though.

message 4: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) I want it! I want it!

I'd love to see Susannah Dean in full gunslinger regalia.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess (cutsie1) | 3 comments Susannah Dean would be awesome!

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Sep 11, 2012 06:30AM) (new)

I like the idea of Susannah Dean too. I wonder if he'll take suggestions for the 2014 calendar. I'd love to add Stephen King.

The list of authors for 2013 is already set (and is pretty damn awesome):

Peter S. Beagle
Ray Bradbury
Patricia Briggs
Jim Butcher
Jacqueline Carey
Neil Gaiman
Charlaine Harris
Robin Hobb
N.K. Jemisin
George R.R. Martin
Terry Pratchett
Patrick Rothfuss

message 7: by Aust (new)

Aust | 1 comments Awsome! I'll need one of these!

Hope to see Neil Gaimans Death in the calender, but I guess she doesn't do very well being objectified to make a good pin-up character :/ Tricky that...

message 8: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Marling (aemarling) | 49 comments Morgaine from Mists of Avalon, tastefully clothed in blood and mist vapors.

Vin from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn would be in an improbable pose while flying through the air in her ribbon Mistborn cape.

Monza Murcatto from Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold would be staring at the viewer with defiance, tight-fitting clothing exposing her fit figure, as well as her mutilated hand.

message 9: by Antonio (new)

Antonio (anti_establishmentarianist) | 4 comments Molly from Neuromancer would be great.

Gaiman's Desire would be pretty epic, haha. A little something for everyone, eh?

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark (mndrew) | 31 comments Pre-ordered instantly. Even if I wasn't an avid reader of half the authors; the subject matter is "in line with my interests."

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments I will make the obvious comment that there should also be a calendar with the sexy men from fiction. I would probably buy both. ;)

message 12: by Seth (new)

Seth Buchsbaum | 31 comments According to Pat, there actually will be men and women in the 2013 calendar (as opposed to the 2012 one, which only has female pinup characters).

So...get excited, Ruth!

message 13: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) Oooh! Mighty thews and giant swords!

That puts a new spin on things. Is Jim Butcher's month going to be Harry? Or maybe Thomas? Oooh, or Kincaid. Who wouldn't love to see Kincaid on a calendar?

I want to Sam Vimes in a (bachelorette party) police man's outfit!!

Ahem. So, clearly, I'm a little excited about this.

message 14: by Rob, Roberator (new)

The reason part of my brain thinks it's good they will be doing both men and women in the calendar. Only fair, right?

The male part of my brain on the other hand disagrees. Now I'm not sure I want to buy it anymore.

I think I'm secure enough in my masculinity to have some dude pin-up staring at me for a month..but I'm not quite sure..lol.

I guess my preference would be that had Male/Female choices for each month (from the same author) and sold Male only/female only versions or let you pick and choose for those who may want both? Probably way too complicated though..especially for a charity thing.