College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Anyone interested in tackling a little Hemingway with me? I don't have any specific titles in mind, although I do own many of his works.

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I would def be willing to..I own The Sun Also Rises

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I've also been interested in The Sun Also Rises. Maybe it could be nominated for the next classic?

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I read about half of The Sun Also Rises before I became distracted with something else. We can get it figured out later (I'm too swamped right now).

message 5: by Matthieu (last edited Feb 04, 2009 02:10PM) (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments I enjoy his writings. I'm quite partial to his short stories; The Snows of Kilimanjaro, especially.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I've been tackling Hemingway for about a year now and have read The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bells Toll, and Death in the Afternoon...still on the fence about him though

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Ugh. I hate Hemingway. He's one of my least favorite authors. I was thinking about reading another of his for the "author you hate" challenge, but I really don't want to.

message 8: by Lori (last edited Feb 06, 2009 05:55AM) (new)

Lori Walker Anna, I'd try his short stories, which are quite different from his novels. And for some reason, A Farewell to Arms seems different from his other novels as well (I've started and stopped a couple). Like Matthew said, The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Others is a good collection to start with.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Oops I think I have read A Farewell to Arms and not For Whom the Bells Toll. I think perhaps I might be more intrigued by him as a person rather than his writing and I would love to spend a bullfighting season with him (if my liver could handle it). I'll try his short stories though, thanks for the suggestion.

message 10: by Andra (last edited Feb 13, 2009 06:05AM) (new)

Andra (aezadnik) Ugh. I have to admit: I hate Hemingway. It's fairly obvious especially after reading A Farewell to Arms that he's a misogynist. I know that his characteristics and beliefs as a human being don't make him a bad writer, but when I can tell in his writing that he thinks females are the weaker sex, that's when I sign off.

message 11: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (lyndseyb) | 10 comments I'd be up to reading For Whom the Bell Tolls, just bought it the other day, actually. The Sun Also Rises would be good, too.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Maybe we can read them together over the summer or at a later date (I'm fairly swamped right now).

message 13: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Yesterday, I found a handsome used copy of his short stories which appears to have been printed in the late 1950's -- for only $3!! :D I am soo behind on reading, but I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

message 14: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments Great find, Nools. I stole borrowed my dad's copy a while back.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I wish one of my relatives had an awesome book collection to swipe things from. Sadly, I think the whole me-loving-reading gene was a mutation, just like the recessive genes that gave me green eyes and made me left-handed.

message 17: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments That's awesome, Anna. The titular story is one of my absolute favourites.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Anna, The story Matthew mentioned is pretty good. "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" caused a lot of tension in one of my classes (and caused me to get a B for disagreeing with the professor) so I'll be interested to see what you have to say.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I just finished Snows of Kilimanjaro and was less than impressed. I think in his novels I like sinking into the lives of the characters and that isn't really possible in short stories.
Matt- I don't know what the titular story is, maybe I missed something or it could have been in a different version but not mine
Lori- I don't really understand what happened at the end of The Short Happy Life.

message 20: by Nuri (last edited Jun 19, 2009 10:26PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Oooooh, I just recently got around to reading those, but with a completely different reaction.... Kilimanjaro was painfully good.

As for Francis Macomber (SPOILER!!): she killed him, right?

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I think so, but did she mean to or was she aiming at something else?

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Annashu, It's really open to interpretation. I feel that evidence supports that she was aiming for him. I think Nools sees it that way too. Some people think she was aiming at something else.

message 23: by Nuri (last edited Jun 21, 2009 03:39AM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments I hope that's not what your professor disagreed with, Lori! I mean, the part where it's open to interpretation (but very possible and troublingly insinuated that it was murder...).

I think she got what she was aiming for. This is Hemingway, after all.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Oh no Nools, that's what she disagreed with.

message 25: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments She marked you down because you thought it was intentional??

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Annashu, Matt means the title story, The Snows of Kilimanjaro

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Nools, Yep. She said she thought he was intelligent for running away from the lion. One of the guys in the class wrote a scathing essay in which he said that running away from a lion is good, unless you're on a safari, then it kinda defeats the point. And he also talked about how she shot him on purpose. I made the mistake of saying I agreed with the guy.

message 28: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments UM. Did she read the story?!

Man, that sucks, Lori. Sorry to hear... not just for the marking down, but I can't imagine her lectures could've been very... inspiring, to say the least....

message 29: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments Sorry for causing any confusion! I should have said "title story"...

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Nools, Her discussions were rather flat. She wasn't a very dynamic lecturer. And I refuse to take any more of her classes. It's a mutual dislike, although I don't exactly know what I've done to provoke her ire.

message 31: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Lori, what could you have done to offend her? I mean, aside from interpreting Hemingway with your brain turned on differently? Mm. I guess I should be somewhat grateful for the anonymity 150+ student lectures afford me.

And no worries, Matt. It all worked out. : )

message 32: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) haha, I really should have known that Matt, sorry. I did like the story though it was probably my favorite in the book.

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I really liked The Old Man and the Sea. I had a friend read it and hate it so I was nervous but I ended up really liking it!

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I need some more Hemingway in my life.

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I just finished For Whom the Bell Tolls and I didn't really like it. I felt like it was just too long. I was also kinda busy during the time I was reading though so there were few times when I could really submerge myself.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments I just finished For Whom the Bell Tolls. I agree that it was long. The action did not start until over halfway through. Also, I've never favored war books. However, I really enjoyed Hemingway's style. I like lots of dialogue and quick action without unnecessary filler. I am going to try to pick up a copy of The Old Man and the Sea.

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Emily- I think I enjoyed the first half or 3/4 but then it just kept going. I really like war novels though and maybe I would prefer less dialog and more action...I get tired of people talking about why or why not they should act and would prefer they do something.

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Annashu and Emily, In this novel, Hemingway was breaking out of the Existential style of writing, which meant he had to discuss why the characters would or would not do something. He ultimately, so I've heard, decides that there IS a side worth fighting for, which is something many writers in his era did not agree with. That said, I have no yet read this novel, but we discussed it in these terms in one of my classes.

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Good to know Lori, thanks. I think it is time I took a break from Hemingway for a while though...except I do really want to read A Moveable Feast. Maybe I should just read all of Hemingway before making a clean break.

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments That is good to know. I like the novel better knowing that. Thanks.

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Annashu, I loved A Moveable Feast. It's really not like his other stuff.

message 42: by Lynn (new)

Lynn The only Hemingway I've fully read is The Sun Also Rises. I loved it! What should my next Heminway be? I was supposed to read " The Snows of Kilimangaro" for class a couple semesters ago but I hated it and didn't even finish.

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Maybe try A Farewell to Arms. I really liked that one.

message 44: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I'm starting The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories. I read The Sun Also Rises and had mixed feelings about it, so I'm eager to read these short stories so I can form a greater opinion about Hemingway.

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I would also suggest Farewell to Arms, Sun Also Rises as been my favorite so far.

message 46: by Anna (last edited Feb 10, 2010 08:26AM) (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I decided that if I am going to make a quest out of Hemingway I needed some order. I haven't really looked extensively into many of the books and I weeded out his collections of short stories (if anyone has any argument as to why a certain collection should be added I am all ears)

To read:
The Old Man and the Sea

To Have and Have Not
The Garden of Eden
Green Hills of Africa
Islands in the Stream A Novel
Across the River and into the Trees
A Clean Well Lighted Place
The Dangerous Summer

Read:
A Moveable Feast
The Sun Also Rises
A Farewell to Arms
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories
Death in the Afternoon
True At First Light A Fictional Memoir

message 47: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I just finished The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories and I thought it was just okay. I like Hemmingway's writing style, but he talks a lot about hunting, fishing or war and those are things that I just don't have much interest in.

Also, I've noticed with the little Hemmingway that I have read, is that he's very misogynistic. This makes it hard for me to read a lot of his work. I really dislike the way he portrays his female charachters (if he includes any at all).

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Jessie, I think part of Hemingway's representation of male and female characters comes from having very clear cut definitions of femininity and masculinity, which wasn't so odd considering the culture in which he grew up.

message 49: by Anna (last edited Feb 10, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I just finished A Moveable Feast and really liked it...it seemed really nostalgic, and made me want to read more F Scott Fitzgerald. I also recently read 2 Beat Novels and it's interesting how similar the Beat generation was to the Lost.

Also I agree with Lori, I've never really noticed much misogyny in Hemingway but I think that is partially because he has so few female characters but the ones he does are very weak.

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I finished The Sun Also Rises the other day. I think this one is tied with A Farewell to Arms as my favorite Hemingway book. I really liked how involved I got in the story. I genuinely wanted to move to Italy and become a writer for an English language newspaper overseas. I also think the Lady Brett Ashley is one of his best female characters. But I should probably finish this discussion in the thread about The Sun Also Rises...

I think I'll tackle some of his short stories or To Have and Have Not next.

« previous 1