Next Generation Authors discussion

Writer's Workshop- Writing 101 > What kind of Writer are you?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (velliya) | 441 comments Mod
I love writing fantasy, to my large amount of reading in that genre. I am also working on a Mythological/Contemporary fantasy novel as well as a more classic fantasy book.

Though I read in a book once, that it is good to explore different situations within your novel and write them as if they were in a different genre.

I can understand if I didn't explain it very well, so I will give an example. (This is a storyline that I will use for the purpose of Writing 101)

MY BEST FRIEND'S A VAMPIRE
YOUNG ADULT VERSION:

"What are you?" I asked Liam, scared as Hell. He stared at me with his big red eyes, his mouth drooling with the blood of the female victim that lay lifeless at his feet.I had just seen him suck her dry, no hesitation. Nothing. He started towards me and I scrambled back. "Get away from me, Liam!"
But he continued on, his footsteps making more sound on the footpath than they should have, the sound almost seemed to echo throughout the dark empty street. "Let me explain." He said, grabbing my hand before I could run. I tried to shake him loose but his grip was like iron.
I cowered under his gaze. he wiped the blood from his face and smiled. Usually that was the smile that had comforted me after breakups or made me crack up in Maths class, but now, that smile looked like that a sadistically minded creep and I would have screamed had he not covered my mouth. "I have a couple of things to tell you, Elle. some things that you wouldn't believe." he whispered it in my ear, making it all the most terrifying, the blood on his lips wafted to my nose and made me sick.

I didn't know much about what was happening, but I knew one thing. My best friend was a Vampire. A blood sucking Vampire.

Now I'm going to write that same scene just with a different genre in mind:
CRIME VERSION:

"What are you?" I asked Liam, scared as Hell. He stared at me with his big red eyes, contacts that were a signature characteristic of the Vampires. They were a group that had haunted the city for years, stealing, arson and murder were their game.
Liam's jaw was wet with blood where his victim had put up a struggle, but ultimately, he had one and the result was lying lifeless at his feet.
I began walking slowly away, hand ready to pull out my knife should it come to that. "Let me explain." He said. Somehow he had managed to grab my knife arm before I could react. I prepared myself to scream but he covered my mouth with a cloth. "I have a couple of things to tell you, Elle. some things that you wouldn't believe." he whispered it in my ear, making it all the most terrifying, the blood on his face was staining mine and the stench wafted to my nose and made me sick.
but that wasn't the only thing, the cloth was smelling strange too, but i couldn't quite place it. I began to black out and was uncertain of what was going to happen to me but I knew one thing. My best friend was a Vampire. A vicious, corrupt Vampire.

Now obviously, that was rushed and it wasn't that well done, but you see the idea. It is a technique that you can use to really find the genre that you want to write in. It also makes writing all the more interesting.

Give it a go in your own comments, take the MY BEST FRIEND'S A VAMPIRE scene then change it to suit another genre or your own writing style. It could be anything- Sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian, romance, comedy. It's up to you.

I look forward to see what you guys do with MY BEST FRIEND'S A VAMPIRE!

:)

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 115 comments im a fantasy kinda gal. i cant write horror or crime, never attempted paranormal, sci-fi isnt my type....neither is destopian (thats why i didnt quite like the hunger ghames)

im fantasy adn sadly nothin else

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Then you can write it in fantasy, I just used them as examples :)

message 4: by L (new)

L I enjoy writing the fantasy genre because it is something that not only comes to me naturally (as i am quite creative and imaginative), but also because i read mainly this genre and love it! From Tolkien to Kate Elliot, Robin Hobb to Terry Brooks this genre i adore especially when combined with say historical.

message 5: by Ivy (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:52AM) (new)

Ivy (iwanttocrawlintobookslivethere) | 13 comments Hmm...Most of my writing is a mix. I think most of them are romance, paranormal, suspense/ mystery or fantasy. I love fantasy but whenever I write in that genre I feel as if I'm writing at a juvenile level when I'm aiming for a more YA/Adult book :P Okay here's my shot at My Best Friends A Vampire

"Who are you?" I ask the dark silhouette standing in the tight alley space. I glance around and finally notice the rumpled pile in front of the figure. A body. An uneasy feeling comes over me and I take a step back.
Finally the figure notices me and turns it's head toward me. "Liam?" I asked scared as hell. My best friend walks toward me blood dripping from his lips and I put the pieces together. Dead body. Lots of blood. My best friend.
"I can explain." He says his heavy footsteps loud on the empty street.
"Stay away from me." I scramble backwards and stumble. Liam takes his chance and lunges for my arm. A bloody hand clamps down on my other wrist and pins my arms to my sides. The sick smell of fresh blood sends my stomach hurdling and I hold my breath as Liam leans in closer.
"I have some things to tell you, Elle. You won't believe me." He wipes his mouth on his shoulder leaving a crimson stain. As his lips brush my ear, I try and fail to break free of his iron grip.
"You're one of them." I whisper before he shoves a strange smelling rag over my face.
As everything fades away and I start to pass out one thing runs through my mind. My best friend is a Vampire. And there is nothing I can do about it.

Yeah, that probably sucks. I'm more of a mystery or romance type of writer :P

message 6: by Rachel (new)

No Ivy!!! That was insanely good! I liked it a lot :D

message 7: by Sage of Souls (new)

Sage of Souls (sageofsouls) | 148 comments I write Fantasy stories. Mainly with the interactions of other commonly known species, uncommon species, and species that I make up of my own. Usually a medieval-type setting for fantasy, along with supernatural abilities, most of the time, and with A LOT of descriptive lore and history behind the majority of places and people.

message 8: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (iwanttocrawlintobookslivethere) | 13 comments SageofSouls wrote: "I write Fantasy stories. Mainly with the interactions of other commonly known species, uncommon species, and species that I make up of my own. Usually a medieval-type setting for fantasy, along wit..."

I can relate to what you said about species and making them up. I have a few short stories about creatures that I made-up. I love using mystical fantasy creatures and beings that are unheard of. Though it's hard finding information on them, I love discovering old fantasy species that I've never heard of...Sorry if I'm totally rambling

message 9: by Rachel (new)

This topic is about exploring different genres and moving outside of your comfort zone! :D Come on guys, it's fun!

message 11: by L (new)

L Even though i do have a favorite genre, i like to read all kinds of book so that i can broaden my mind, and move 'out of my comfort zone'. From Historical to romantic fiction i will read most things, hence why like reading it is also good to write in different mediums and break out of the mould; so poetry and play writing that is of different genre.

Ice Queen Wanderer •The Cursed Prophetess• (ari-la) | 45 comments I have this thing with horror novels. No matter what the story's about, it has to have at least one horror scene. Or something horrific, even if its not horror. Scifi and fantasy are good, but I just can't stand realistic fiction or historical fiction.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 115 comments um...i cant change your story since its already fantasy based...so i cant change it

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 57 comments I'm a fantasy YA writer...with a little sprinkle of romance in my writing and comedy at times needed.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 115 comments i ned to improve on my humor adn romance writting!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

So try and write it as a comedy or a romance. The idea is to widen your genre writing, not to stay with what you're used to.

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 115 comments " What are you?" I asked Liam, scared as Hell yet intruged. He stared at me with his big red eyes, his mouth drooling with the blood of the female victim that lay lifeless at his feet. His beautiful brown hair, handsome features, naked ab-showing chest, pale skin so much like a god's body than a ....whatever he was. I had just seen him suck her dry, no hesitation. Nothing. Yet That didnt stop a pang in my heart. A pang of jeaoulsy. I wanted some handsome ..thing...suck my blood, have me...in him. He started towards me and I scrambled back. His beauty was too much to take when your that close to him. "Get away from me, Liam!"
But he continued on, his footsteps making more sound on the footpath than they should have, the sound almost seemed to echo throughout the dark empty street. My heart beat at teh same rythm as his steps. Like a throbbing heart. "Let me explain." He said, grabbing my hand before I could run. WHere he touched i got a chill...but not of fear or distcust... but an elecrtric fealling of...i dont know what even! I tried to shake him loose but his grip was like iron. His hands were icey cold, smooth, amazingky strong....mmmm.....
I cowered under his beautiful gaze. he wiped the blood from his face and smiled, his smile makeing my heartmelt. Usually that was the smile that had comforted me after breakups or made me crack up in Maths class, but now, that smile looked like that of an angel fallen from grace... in style and beauty and I would have sighed with joy had he not covered my mouth, thinking i wa sgoing to scream. "I have a couple of things to tell you, Elle. some things that you wouldn't believe." he whispered it in my ear, making it all the more hard to resist him, the blood on his lips wafted to my nose and made me hazey-minded.

I didn't know much about what was happening,but About three things I was absolutely positive.
1) My best friend was a Vampire. A blood sucking Vampire.
2) a big part of him, and i didnt know how prominant, thirsted for my blood
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 115 comments there we have it!!

its a romance/humour/twilight parody

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 57 comments AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Bye...

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 57 comments Coolkidrox123 {The Shadow} wrote: ":P wait, you tink it funny?"

...The story?

ᑕᗢᗝᒪḰᓮᖙᖇᗢჯ123 ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆ Cool (coolkidrox123) | 115 comments we should have anotyehr excerp to change~!

message 30: by L (new)

L I am loving everyones writing. It is interesting to see another person's perspective on the same paragraph, changed to a different genre.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Yeah, I thought that it would be a fun exercise :)

message 34: by Aurora (new)

Aurora I guess my type of writing is fast-paced action with enough detail and plenty of dialogue.
My favourite genres are action, adventure and a bit of fantasy. I'm okay with a little romance bub not as the main plot.
*shrugs*

message 35: by Zohal (new)

Zohal | 40 comments I'm more of a script- writer than a writer but I'm a person who usually writes stories with a twist.
My favourite genres are Romance but not the sappy type. I like the tragic type and it has to have another plot connected with the romance. Not a silly plot.

message 36: by L (new)

L A story's plot is everything. It has to be strong enough so that it keeps the readers attention throughout the volume without loosing any momentum. I hate books that begin good and then become dull as they loose that thrilling action or suspence that makes you keep reading, likewise also in trilogies or series where book one is amazing but the sequels are less-so.

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 57 comments Lucinda wrote: "A story's plot is everything. It has to be strong enough so that it keeps the readers attention throughout the volume without loosing any momentum. I hate books that begin good and then become dull..."

Me too...like Maximum Ride...

message 41: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I write a mixture of things. Some fantasy, some sci-fi, some realistic fiction. I like changing it up and trying a bunch of different types of genres. The only consistent genre I write in is YA. I just prefer writing about kids/teens than about adults, but that's probably because I haven't really experienced adulthood yet. XD

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (Oceanwhisper) I write most genre's I guess :) But I'm not a big fan of heavy romance though, so I've never wrote it xD My favourite is fantasy and realistic-fantasy though!

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Totally agree with you, Sarah!

message 44: by Lo (new)

Lo (darkalleycookies) | 8 comments I write Realistic Fiction and fantasy. I like RL better but I'm better at the other one. Why?

message 45: by Rachel (new)

That happens to ne all the time, Lo! I love writing in third person but I'm better at first! It's so frustrating at tims

message 46: by Rachel (new)

That happens to ne all the time, Lo! I love writing in third person but I'm better at first! It's so frustrating at times

message 47: by Hamilton (new)

Hamilton Hill | 4 comments I have just this minute published my promotional info-page outlining The Roads of Luhonono

It’s a YA Fable set in Africa and I’ll shortly be in need of Beta’s.

Please check out http://theroadsofluhonono.weebly.com/...
to see if it’s your kind of story.

I would appreciate your using the link on the webpage to connect to my Facebook – I’d appreciate as many “follows” as I can possibly get.

Betas can subscribe using the link specifically for that purpose on the webpage. The alternative is to ‘Friend’ me here on Goodreads.

Thank you (in advance) for your support.