UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Goodreads not available

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Thousands of websites hosted by one of the world's biggest internet domain registrars and web hosts, GoDaddy, were reported down on Monday.

It is suspected that they were cyber attacked but are currently denying it.

If Goodreads use go daddy it would explain the appalling reliability at times. :-)

message 2: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Sep 11, 2012 12:51AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments they would be miuch better off with GoSimon!

message 3: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Go go gadget Simon?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I want a Simon Army Knife

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments I thought it was just me that couldn't get on - I was reading & wanted to get on to add the book to my challenge. Couldn't so I tried later, got on and added the book then Goodreads disappeared again. I couldn't find anything to tell me whether it was a widespread problem or just me.

message 6: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments There is a site i found last night. www.thewebsiteisdown.com

It lets you put an address in and see if the website is down for everyone or just you.

message 7: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ is the best one

and yes, they use godaddy. they already said on twitter last night that, that was the problem

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I thought it was just me aswell! Said the website wasn't recognised and may have been moved!

message 9: by Sucajo (new)

Sucajo I used one of those websites and it said goodreads was fine and it was just me but then I noticed there were comments from other people who couldn't access goodreads either.

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I could access goodreads so generally the site only works if it is ALL down.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I was bereft last night without my Goodreads goodness.

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I'm finding it running slow at the moment - I've bailed out a couple of times. :(
I get a message saying the page is running a script which can cause my browser to go slow.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I slept through the hoohaa....

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Well in case it disappears again & remains lost I would just like to say that it has been nice knowing everyone
;)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "Well in case it disappears again & remains lost I would just like to say that it has been nice knowing everyone
;)"

I am in I.T. Janet, If Goodreads goes down and doesn't come back I will have a new forum up in 24 hours. You don't get away that easily.

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments It's like Royston Vasey - you'll never leave!

message 17: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments This site is for Locals! ;-)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I am in I.T. Janet, If Goodreads goes down and doesn't come back I will have a new forum up in 24 hours. You don't get away that easily. "
Ignite wrote: "It's like Royston Vasey - you'll never leave!"
I might just disappear like this >>>>>>> Smiley

message 19: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Lindsay wrote: "This site is for Locals! ;-)"

There's nothing for you here!

message 20: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "I slept through the hoohaa...."

I traveled through it

message 21: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments Ignite wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "This site is for Locals! ;-)"

There's nothing for you here!"

I didn't burn it!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I keep getting the chair this morning.

Must be loads of Americans on at the moment.

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Must be a big chair then!

message 24: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I couldn't get on for a while but I think that is because the network guys knocked the power out of a mesh switch so pretty much everything went down for a bit...

message 25: by Jay-me (Janet) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 01:48AM) (new)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments I couldn't get on - I posted earlier this morning then it went. I looked for up to date info and the latest I could find was that the site was down yesterday.
No chair just no site available.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've had that one a few times this morning too, Janet.

I think Simon better start sorting out our new home, just in case.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "I've had that one a few times this morning too, Janet.

I think Simon better start sorting out our new home, just in case."

I like Goodreads - the bookshelves, the challenge (the other groups ) but it would be nice to have a contact point rather than hoping that you run across people on some other book site in the future.
Both the craft group and the family history group have pages on facebook that some people visit occasionally when the sites are unavailable whilst others are there more than the real sites.
Wouldn't do for Ignite though ;)

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Yeah, couldn't get on for a while this morning, but seems ok now. Just a bit annoying really.

message 29: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 12, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments If Goodreads ever goes bang I will turn my web site into an emergency assembly point.

Without all the spaces :
h t t p : // w w w . ethings.org.uk

or

h t t p : // w w w . turpin.org.uk

They both go to the group ring at the moment

message 30: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I thought that was turnip.org. I was expecting to meet Baldrick!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments And of course I expect all our blog members will be able to put something up if we find we need to set up a new home. The group ring will not disappear if Goodreads does.

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments It's definitely running slowly at the moment. I'm also not getting my PMs through to my email. I'm having to pick them up here. Mind you, I'm often here!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Simon, I know you're reticent about sending out broadcasts to the group too frequently but perhaps that's one to consider.

Belt n braces. :)

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Last night I got PMs through - they generally arrive on my email half a minute before they pop up here! It was several hours yesterday.

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments It seems to be running better for me today.

message 36: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I keep getting 'Goodreads is not responding'. Have been struggling for days now:@(

message 37: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments this morning i got an email for like every damn topic is this group. there was. freaking. loads.

message 38: by Sucajo (new)

Sucajo The only thing worse than not getting email notifications is when you get a whole load of them for messages that were posted 2 days ago.

message 39: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments ive been getting loads of random ones lately from posts months ago!

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments I kept getting the closed for maintainance try again in a few minutes one. But after a time it still wasn't working so I tried getting on the site from scratch and got straight on but it wouldn't work from my favourits...really weird.

message 41: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Good reads is working fine for me today

message 42: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I was asked to register! This has happened a few times recently.

message 43: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments They definitely don't like the look of you then, Sarah - they think you're dodgy!
It's a bit mad, isn't it? I feel so much for the old person who said, 'For heaven's sake don't let them make any more Progress!'

message 44: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I log in through Facebook, and haven't seen any registration problems. Had all the page not found and very slow troubles though.

Been okay so far this morning though, so it does seem better, but productivity here is taking a hit as a result.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments A couple of times I've had all the titles and links come up in Spanish. And yesterday German links flashed up, briefly

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I wonder if we all need to clear our cookies.

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Let's just eat them?
That wouldn't affect everyone at once though.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Just wondering if they've done something and a good cookie clear out would help.

Hey, I only know two fixes.

Restart and clearing cookies. :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Apparently they know there is a problem. To start with they recommended not using IE and using chrome instead. Now they say they are fixing it.....

message 50: by Elle (last edited Sep 14, 2012 05:44AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I use Chrome.

Not exactly a freaking fix is it, if it still doesn't work too good.

« previous 1