Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

DEBATES > Male POV or Female POV

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Which one do you prefer?

message 2: by Laura (last edited Sep 12, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) Female POV: Main reason is that most of the type of books I read are in female pov and so I have gotten use to it.
I don't mind male pov in some cases, but I have a preference for female pov mostly now.

message 3: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments So true.. I rarely read any male POV myself.

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie | 56 comments I would say female because most of YA books are from a female POV but I never really read a male POV that I hate or that annoyed me while I read a lot of female POV that I just couldn't stand.

I relate more to female POV but I don't care that much. A good POV is a good POV to me.

message 5: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments You are right on that point. Most YA are in female POV. But I prefer male POV because it is like I see thing from a guy's perspective, so it gives me different feeling.

message 6: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yes, lots of YA books do have Female POV. One book I really like that is YA and has a male POV is Gone by Michael Grant. I'm still reading it but I love it so far! I only have about 100 pages left!

message 7: by Janie (new)

Janie Brumfield | 36 comments I like both female and male POVs, and I've liked books that have used both.

message 8: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Although I don't mind Male POV, I do when it gets kind of gross - I've had quite a few Male POV books recently that had some details about being a teenage boy that I just didn't need that much information about....

I like Female POV because I identify with it easier.

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Trisha wrote: "Although I don't mind Male POV, I do when it gets kind of gross - I've had quite a few Male POV books recently that had some details about being a teenage boy that I just didn't need that much info..."

Oh, I don't like that much either X) I agree that famale POV is easier to relate to.

message 10: by emily (new)

emily  cross | 40 comments well im a gail and good to relate to her and i cant realy do that with a boy. but is also nice to hear a boys prospctive to. you its good to here a boys pov once in a whie

message 11: by Em (new)

Em (emziyy) | 37 comments I like it when there is both male POV and female POV in a book, cause you can have different perspectives and views of the same situation. But, I agree, that female POV's are easier to relate to.

message 12: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Ema wrote: "I like it when there is both male POV and female POV in a book, cause you can have different perspectives and views of the same situation. But, I agree, that female POV's are easier to relate to."

I like that too :D

message 13: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments emily wrote: "well im a gail and good to relate to her and i cant realy do that with a boy. but is also nice to hear a boys prospctive to. you its good to here a boys pov once in a whie"

Sure... If we read the same thing all the time, it will become boring!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 68 comments I sometimes can find female POV annoying but I still like it. Male POV is weird to read sometimes. Plus there are never really any books with a male perspective :(

message 15: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Katie wrote: "I sometimes can find female POV annoying but I still like it. Male POV is weird to read sometimes. Plus there are never really any books with a male perspective :("

Agree!

message 16: by Haylee' Marie (new)

Haylee' Marie  (Beastly-Marie) | 105 comments i like make POV because there are rarely any... but i enjoy Female Pov too.. its like a tie and it depends which author and book it is to determine the POV

message 17: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Most books I've read are Female POV. I prefer both though.

message 18: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Most books I have read have Female POV and I prefer those. I have read some books with Male POV, but I don't really like it and tend to avoid them.

message 19: by Morganvillechic (new)

Morganvillechic | 301 comments Mehsi wrote: "Most books I have read have Female POV and I prefer those. I have read some books with Male POV, but I don't really like it and tend to avoid them."

DITTO!!!

message 20: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 138 comments Female POV. It's really hard for me to relate to books from a male POV. Sometimes it really destroys the book for me...
I also prefer books written by female authors.

message 21: by Doruntina (new)

Doruntina | 55 comments Female POV. I feel like girls give more description of the important things (even though it is the same author writing). All though i love to read Male POV only from the characters i have known first from female POV's like Ash, Daemon and Patch :)

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (jeansoso) | 25 comments Female POV. I enjoy the emotions and details the come with the main character being a girl. I also like how I can relate to something that may have happened to her, and even if she's keeping her feeling from the other characters in the story she can never keep her true feelings from the reader. I do not mind reading a book with Male POV but I prefer Female POV.

message 23: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I agree that sometimes, it's hard to relate to the character if it is told from male perspective :)

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz Gruder (lizgruder) | 3 comments I prefer female POV -- especially if there's romance it's easier to identify. But if there's just one consistent POV as a male that's ok---I think Anna Dressed in Blood had that & was good. Just finished Under the Never Sky where POV alternated between Aria & Perry. Loved the story, but find POV shifts jarring. When Aria is in trouble, want to continue through her eyes... not his in next chapter. I guess consistency in POV works for me...

message 25: by Yoly (new)

Yoly | 696 comments Is just me or in this the new generations girls reads more than the boys?

message 26: by Janna (last edited Jan 12, 2013 11:04PM) (new)

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments Male POV! I like that Male POV stories are told from a slightly different view than most. Though, Male/Female POV is good also! (I like to have my cake AND EAT IT TOO) LOL

message 27: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Yoly wrote: "Is just me or in this the new generations girls reads more than the boys?"

Totally! Taking GR as example, among 300+ of my friends here, less than 20 of them are men.

message 28: by Yoly (new)

Yoly | 696 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Yoly wrote: "Is just me or in this the new generations girls reads more than the boys?"

Totally! Taking GR as example, among 300+ of my friends here, less than 20 of them are men."

I just remember one "friend" who likes to read (he is my cousin and is like 10 or 12 years older than me) he introduced me too Harry Potter when I was like 11 or something like that :)

And he used to buy books and then he gives to me ... so I read YA books when I was little. Now he is a school teacher. But besides him I don´n remember any other man who likes to read.

message 29: by Harleen (new)

Harleen Female because I just connect more with her since we're girls and I get her feelings

message 30: by Gabs (new)

Gabs Female. Definitely female, though usually the guys are more humorous. I like that the girls are for the most part the ones that are more emotional. You can connect more with them.

message 31: by kirstin ✿ (new)

kirstin ✿ (shoutohdoroki) Well, I'm a female so I vote for female. But sometimes it gets annoying. Especially when the girl starts whining and being really insecure.

message 32: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Kirstin wrote: "Well, I'm a female so I vote for female. But sometimes it gets annoying. Especially when the girl starts whining and being really insecure."

Those are my thoughts exactly:D

message 33: by kirstin ✿ (new)

kirstin ✿ (shoutohdoroki) Jacquelyn wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Well, I'm a female so I vote for female. But sometimes it gets annoying. Especially when the girl starts whining and being really insecure."

Those are my thoughts exactly:D"

Yeah, so... I think sometimes I actually preferred if boys narrate. Sometimes. Because it's a mystery as to what's going on inside their mind.

message 34: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments That's what I thought as well ! It seems like we totally agree on this topic!

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalandon22) | 1 comments I like female because it's easier to relate!

message 36: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Jessica wrote: "I like female because it's easier to relate!"

I agree :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Being a male, it is easier to read a male POV storyline, but then again, that doesn't mean I enjoy reading it more than female POV. Really, for me, it depends on the overall theme, settings, etc. of the book. I don't have a set choice in which one is better. Reading female POV confuses me from time to time; it's interesting in seeing how females think compared to males.

message 38: by Haley (new)

Haley | 22 comments I do female POV, i tried a male one once and i didn't like it at all, it made it feel slower sometimes... but for the Percy Jackson series, its in the male POV but it goes with the story so much better..

message 39: by Angel (new)

Angel (thehomosapiens) Female POV. However, reading a novel in male pov is interesting.

message 40: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 410 comments I'm a guy and I write YA, I usually write from a young guy's POV although recently I tried writing from a female's POV just to see if I could do it.

It worked! My novel was accepted and will be published next year.

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Reads (summerfirefly) | 371 comments I agree, I like when they switch between a guy and a girl's POV. :)

message 42: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 410 comments Elizabeth, the novel is called Lindsay versus the Marauders and will be published by Regal Crest Publications next July (or so they tell me). Believe it or not, it's a lesbian novel, but not an exploitative one. I just wanted to see if I could do it. (This is from a straight and married guy!) I ran it by a few women who are gay just to get their reaction and it was very positive.

The other novel is a gender switch deal and is entitled Twisted. That will come out next March with the same publisher. For the most part I write straight YA (my first two published novels (The Tower and Death Bytes--Google them if you like) are both straight male POV works in which the guy gets the girl, but I wanted to try something different to test myself and develop as a writer.

message 43: by Waverly (new)

Waverly I usually read books from female POV, but I think male POV is interesting too :)

message 44: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 410 comments Elizabeth wrote: "That's great! I want to become published one day but I can never finish a story once I start. Maybe one day. Anyway, your novels sound amazing and I'll have to check them out! Good luck!!!"
--

Thanks so much!!

message 45: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Sullivan | 5 comments I don't read much from a male POV, mostly because I just can't find many!!
I also feel like I can connect more with a female POV than with a male POV. :)

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma Winter | 35 comments I enjoy female mainly because most YA books are female. I have never read a book with a male that I didn't like its just i read more female and I can relate to female more.

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bourneleader96) I like both. However, I think it's easy to mess the male POV up if you aren't a male author. Just as I think male authors can easily mess female POV up. I like a mixture of the two genders in a book. It gives the book variety. Shakes things up a little.

message 48: by J.S. (last edited Jul 09, 2013 03:06PM) (new)

J.S. Frankel | 410 comments @Hannah.

I agree. It's not very easy for a male writer (i.e. me) to write from a woman's POV. If in doubt, I consult my older sister who knows about certain things women do i.e. hair styling, makeup, fashion, and so on. She's been a huge help to me in that regard.

I think there are a lot of YA books written by guys, but the market seems to be mainly filled with novels by female writers mainly because women tend to read more than guys do. Sort of sad, really. I grew up reading for the sheer pleasure of it and not just for school. Guess that makes me a minority.

ETA: I should have said "It's NOT easy to write from a woman's POV and I've corrected it above. Sorry!

message 49: by Kerianne (new)

Kerianne | 4 comments I agree with Hannah that it often depends on the author. I recently read a book by a female author that I seriously thought was a lesbian novel for the first 30 pages, because the narrator was talking about having a crush on a girl and the narrator's voice felt so feminine. When I finally figured out that the narrator was male (he finally said his name after 30 pages), I was so surprised!

message 50: by Riley (new)

Riley | 8 comments Since I'm a girl, I can relate more easily to a female POV. And there are a lot more female POVs out there than male POVs. But, when I'm reading a male POV I almost always really like it.
I have to say though, my favorite POV would be written from the two main characters. (Usually boy/girl) I like to see the difference in thoughts and views on the same event in a book.

« previous 1 3