Rhys Hughes Fans discussion

Auto-Fandom

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhys (new)

Rhys | 12 comments Is one allowed to be a fan of oneself?

I know that *everybody* in the world tends to be a fan of themselves, but it's not really the done thing to admit it...

message 2: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 3 comments Mod
I believe it was Hegel who said that "freedom is the recognition of necessity". If one is bound to be a fan of oneself and if recognition of the status quo is somehow a liberating experience then perhaps it follows that its best to accept the inevitable and join your own fan club?

message 3: by Gaabriel (new)

Gaabriel  Becket (Gaab) | 6 comments Mod
Good morning, Rhys! I was thinking that you would HAVE to be a member of your own fan club, how can you not like your own stuff? You created it! It only makes sense. And not only did you create it but you have to believe in it enough to go to the trouble of getting a publisher to buy and publish it and promote it to other people to buy and read, which certainly isn't as easy as we'd all like to fantasize those things to be, so I can't think how someone wouldn't be a fan of their own work.

message 4: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 3 comments Mod
Rhys wrote: "Is one allowed to be a fan of oneself?

I know that *everybody* in the world tends to be a fan of themselves, but it's not really the done thing to admit it..."

Gaabi wrote: "Good morning, Rhys! I was thinking that you would HAVE to be a member of your own fan club, how can you not like your own stuff? You created it! It only makes sense. And not only did you create..."

Upon further reflection and with due regard to the above comments made by my esteemed partner Gaabriel I think it DOES follow. Therefore we would like to congratulate you on taking a firm stand on matters of philosophical principle.

Croeso Rhys Hughes...to the Rhys Hughes fan club!

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam | 4 comments If any writer can be a fan of himself it should be Rhys Hughes. A version of yourself appears in some your stories after all. Also since logic develops a different consistency in your fictional world than in other writers, why not in your relation to it. Be fan of yourself!
-Adam

message 6: by Rhys (new)

Rhys | 12 comments Well I am a fan of myself... I just doubt I ought to admit it!

I do admire Kafka's attitude, which seemed to be a genuine disregard of his own work -- even though his work was absolutely brilliant!

When I was younger I once read how Kafka made a bonfire and destroyed all his early writing. I was so impressed I decided to do the same. It seemed right at the time but I regret it now!

message 7: by Gaabriel (new)

Gaabriel  Becket (Gaab) | 6 comments Mod
Aargh! I've lost most of what I've written, every once in a while I come across something from my teens. In my 20s I'd find those things and despise them and I think I did destroy them because I thought they were so embarrassing I'd never want anyone to read them. Now I find scraps and think, "ah, how cute!" and I'm glad I have them.

LOL, damn Kafka!

message 8: by Rhys (last edited Mar 17, 2009 04:33AM) (new)

Rhys | 12 comments My most recent book, Engelbrecht Again!, is in a sort of tournament thing. It has passed the first round and now is in the second round. I don't expect it to progress to the finals (or get anywhere close) but if anyone wants to vote for it, you can click on the following link to do so:
Engelbrecht Tournament
I checked with the moderator and he said that cheating is tolerated, so I'm allowed to solicit votes, apparently! :-) Thanks!