Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Let's compare weather! > Weather - Wed. Feb. 4, 2009 - What's YOUR weather?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Glens Falls, NY - Wed. Feb 4, 2009
Temp at 3:37AM-ET ... -3°F (-19°C)

Today...Partly sunny. Scattered flurries this afternoon. Highs around 17. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Lows around 8 below. Northwest winds around 5 mph.
Above from: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments Cold there. I thought it was here. We were at 8 degrees this morning with foot high drifts of snow on ice. I hope it's gone by this weekend.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Gee, Jim, you sure have been getting hit with rough weather. And to think I always thought of KY as one of the warmer states. I really have to study the map of the USA again! (g)

Our current temp here in Glens Fall, NY, at 10:15 AM, is 8°F (-13°C). I'm afraid to see what our next heating bill will be. Eddie says it's "gonna be a doozie".

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 07:24AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-I just checked our weather report and, about tonight, it says:

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around -7.
Wind chill values as low as -15.
North wind between 3 and 7 mph.

It will be a "trickle" night... a night we'll have to leave the faucet with a trickle so the pipes don't freeze.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments Glad it isn't so cold here. Yes, we average almost exactly the same temperature as MD, but I'm finding out that the key word is 'average'. Apparently the northern cold fronts move in & there isn't the sea around to mellow the temperature like there is in MD. Different weather patterns that sweep through quickly, like last night when we dropped 10 or 12 degrees in a couple/few hours.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 02:33PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "Glad it isn't so cold here. Yes, we average almost exactly the same temperature as MD, but I'm finding out that the key word is 'average'. Apparently the northern cold fronts move in & there isn'..."

Are your summers very hot? Our summers here in the North Country of NY vary a lot. Sometimes it's hot and sometimes it's not. Usually things cool off at night and that's always a blessing. Our summer place is shaded by pine trees. So the house stays comparatively cool. Sometimes I like to feel warm so that I'm motivated to go swimming. I love to swim (actually float), but only after the water has warmed up in the lake.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6158 comments It's supposed to be down to 2 degrees tonight & up to mid 50's by Saturday. Note what I said about 'average'.

Yes, summers can get hot, but usually under 100. That too doesn't stick long as a rule.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 04, 2009 09:52PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Wow, Jim... up to the "mid 50's by Saturday"! A small miracle! (g)

Our temp here at 12:46AM-ET (Feb. 5) is 6°F (-14°C).
At least it's above zero. Everything is relative.