NaNoWriMo 2013 discussion

General NaNoWriMo > NaNo 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Hello all again! It's that time of year. Who is getting ready for the 50k in 30 day challenge? This year my time has been cut to nil but I am still going to attempt the challenge!

message 2: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) ^^ Go Farrah! I took a creative writing class this semester, and it's NaNo! I'm so happy! And exciting! I've got to finish my current draft, and then it will decide whether or not I'll have to write a new story or not O.o. Suuuper excited!

message 3: by Cari (new)

Cari (prettydemons) | 130 comments Mod
No idea what I'm going to write, brain still hurts from participating in Camp NaNo last month, but I'm still giddy with excitement for November!

message 4: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 12 comments I am ready for the 50k challge in 30 days, and i am really excited:)

message 5: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) I'm excited about it. Still trying to decide whether to work on my novel from last November, or the one from June's camp, or to start a new one. I should probably finish one of them first *lol*

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylareads) I'm so ready... well, except for the fact I haven't written an outline yet. But I know what I'm writing, so that's a start!

message 7: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Don't worry about that! I haven't written an outline either! I probably won't until the week before Novemeber :P

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylareads) I'm definitely not worried! Well, not completely, haha. I'm certainly going to have to make sure my outline is done long before November, because I'm going to be writing on a tight schedule this year, but I won't start freaking until it's like, the last day of October. ;p

message 9: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 8 comments I'm ready! I just have to notify family members to expect ramen noodles for Thanksgiving if my word count is not on track.

message 10: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 267 comments Mod
Farrah wrote: "Hello all again! It's that time of year. Who is getting ready for the 50k in 30 day challenge? This year my time has been cut to nil but I am still going to attempt the challenge!"

Suddenly this group is alive again! o.0
Hello! Do you still remember me?
Good luck on the challenge!! :)

message 11: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) I'm so happy that this group is alive again!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Wrayburn (emilywrayburn) I want it to be November already! I actually have a stupidly detailed outline this year, though I don't know how my story is going to end... should possibly think about that...

message 13: by Cari (new)

If word count is behind, ramen noodles are no good. They're too difficult to eat with one hand while writing with the other, always sliding off the fork and getting broth all over the place. (Can you tell I've attempted this feat before?) Brainstorm finger food, preferably something that isn't greasy and will go well with wine.

So glad to see this board coming to life! Lots of new members and quite a few names I recognize from last year...I've missed you guys. Now if I can just keep myself from using this forum as a procrastination tool when I should be mapping out a story for November.

Good luck, everyone!

message 14: by Janeen-san (new)

"Procrastination tool", lol! :D

message 15: by Janeen-san (new)

Emily wrote: "I want it to be November already! I actually have a stupidly detailed outline this year, though I don't know how my story is going to end... should possibly think about that..."

How can a outline be stupidly detailed? Last NaNo I spent three months outlining my story before November started, and I finished it in two weeks!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nocturne_13) Hey all! I don't have any ideas now, but I'll at least try to think of one and work a little bit. I don't know how active I'll be, because I'm really busy this year, but it's nice to see this group alive :)

message 17: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Janeen-san wrote: "Emily wrote: "I want it to be November already! I actually have a stupidly detailed outline this year, though I don't know how my story is going to end... should possibly think about that..."

How ..."

That's incredible! I had an outline and my novel changed so drastically that I almost threw it away. I also finished on the very last day of nano :)

message 18: by Janeen-san (new)

You almost threw it AWAY?! Wow, that's a pretty big novel change!! 0.0

message 19: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Yeah, it happens a lot. I find these huge plot holes and have to rethink everything. It gets pretty tedious sometimes :P

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily Wrayburn (emilywrayburn) Janeen-san wrote: "Emily wrote: "I want it to be November already! I actually have a stupidly detailed outline this year, though I don't know how my story is going to end... should possibly think about that..."

How ..."

Good point. ;) Though I have spoken to people (other NaNoers mostly), who spend so much time planning in the lead-up that when they sit down to write they've lost interest.

I've had this story in my head in one form or another since January, though it has undergone a few metamorphoses in that time, and is now pretty different to how it was when I first started planning. But I realised I'm quite emotionally invested in these characters now, so I don't think losing interest is going to be a problem for me.

message 21: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) That's the same with my characters, I've lost interest with a couple of stories (because I keep dreaming about them;)) but the story I'm writing write now, even though I've been writing it for 2 years, there is no lost interest.

message 22: by Janeen-san (new)

In all the time I've been writing, I've NEVER lost interest in a story! I mean, there's a lot of them I didn't finish, but that's because I was young--but that's different than losing interest. Do you guys have any fond memories of stories you wrote when you were young?

message 23: by Cari (new)

Emily wrote: "Good point. ;) Though I have spoken to people (other NaNoers mostly), who spend so much time planning in the lead-up that when they sit down to write they've lost interest."

I'm the exact opposite. The more time I spend day dreaming/planning/playing with a story and its characters, the more interest I have and the more likely I am to complete the work.

Janeen-san, I have so many! I can split up my middle school/high school time by what I was working on at that point, and I can do the same thing as an adult, matching a story with what job I was working at when I wrote it. But I can't remember silly things like where I put my shoes or to take my keys out of the door lock. Go figure.

Your turn! What are yours?

message 24: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) ^^ Well I don't exactly lose interest, I just have different projects I know I have to do, plus all the dreaming I do gets me nowhere, only a couple of scenes etc, I just get kind of sick of the idea for a little while, because I know it inside and out, I just have to put that little idea aside. I have a dream journal that I keep just for those ideas!

message 25: by Janeen-san (new)

Well, the very first story I wrote on my path to being an author was when I was six :) It's called "Jill and the Dog". We still have it :D

message 26: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Nice! I had stories that I wrote when I was in 1st grade, I think I threw them away though, because it was about my life and it was a bunch of lies. I was quite the storyteller at that age ^^

message 27: by Janeen-san (new)

:D

message 28: by Janeen-san (new)

GO STORYTELLERS!

message 29: by Cari (new)

Zaira, you're a storyteller, so those weren't lies, they were creative embellishments. Fiction writing for the win! ;)

GO STORYTELLERS!

message 30: by Janeen-san (new)

Yeah! Creative embellishments!
GOOOOO STORYTELLERS!

message 31: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) That's a very pretty way to put it, :D Now I kind of wish I had those...

message 32: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Cari wrote: "No idea what I'm going to write, brain still hurts from participating in Camp NaNo last month, but I'm still giddy with excitement for November!"

What is Nanocamp?

message 33: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Janeen-san wrote: "Farrah wrote: "Hello all again! It's that time of year. Who is getting ready for the 50k in 30 day challenge? This year my time has been cut to nil but I am still going to attempt the challenge!"

..."

Of course I remember you! Good luck with Nano!

message 34: by Farrah (new)

Farrah I have started toying with ideas for my NaNo. I have been reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Marquez and am thinking of a novel that spans many generations. I plan to use all the new vocabulary I am learning as I am studying for the GREs. I am taking them again because I am trying to get into an MFA Creative Writing program in Fall 2013.

message 35: by Farrah (new)

message 36: by Cari (new)

Farrah wrote: "Cari wrote: "No idea what I'm going to write, brain still hurts from participating in Camp NaNo last month, but I'm still giddy with excitement for November!"

What is Nanocamp?"

It's a summer version of regular NaNo from the same folk at OLL, hosted in June and August this year. It's not nearly the same, lacks the feeling of community and "we're all crazy and in this together," but at least it's a deadline. :) I don't know if I'll do it next year, but at least I was productive!

message 37: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) I'm working on plot points this month, so I'm in good shape for November. Last year, I got all the way to 50k words and still wasn't sure what kind of book I was writing. I'll re-read "No Plot? No Problem" to get me back in the writing mode.

message 38: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Cari that sounds fun but intense. I got a new job in April and it has left me with zilch for time. But hubs and I are gonna give it a crack this year anyway lol.

I am going to write a memoir. Well more based-on-a-true-story than memoir lol. I always fiction in one way or another. I took a memoir course at PWC and realized the pure memoir is just not my style. My life isn't that interesting lol

message 39: by Cari (new)

Maybe that's my issue: I took a break after finishing the novel I started during camp and now I'm having trouble getting back into the writing mode. Naomi, I may be reading No Plot? No Problem! right along with you...

Farrah, there's that saying about how if you need something done, ask the busiest person you know to do it and it'll get done. You and your husband will rock it out, I have no doubt! Based-on-a-true-story memoir(ish) sounds like a cool project! Two issues with writing actual memoirs: life is either boring or too interesting to be believed in print. Interesting to hear the class you took made you realize that true memoir isn't your genre. Did you enjoy the course, at least??

message 40: by Farrah (new)

Farrah oh yes it was quite fun.

message 41: by Janeen-san (new)

"life is either boring or too interesting to be believed in print."

LOL

message 42: by Cari (new)

I aim for the second but my life is usually the first. And then comes NaNoWriMo time, during which, despite all appearances to the contrary, life is anything but boring. :)

message 43: by Janeen-san (new)

You can say that again! :D

message 44: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Oh yeah!

message 45: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) GUYS! NANO STARTS IN 8 DAYS!!!

message 46: by Janeen-san (new)

Yay!!

message 47: by Cari (new)

Yay, indeed! Kids on Christmas morning only wish they were as excited as I am for the start of NaNo. ;)

message 48: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) ^^ no kidding!

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily Wrayburn (emilywrayburn) "I'm as excited as a really excited person who's got a special reason to be excited" to quote Blackadder IV

message 50: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) ^^ awesome!

« previous 1