Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Anyone order the new Kindle? I had to get it JUST for the thing that tells you how fast you read and how long until the end of the next chapter. I"M SO BAD AT STAYING UP TOO LATE!

message 2: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) It's on my Christmas list, especially now, since my K3 died. I already wanted one, for the light, since I read mostly at night while my husband sleeps. Was having a hard time justifying it though, as I had a Kindle and a Nook. Now, I don't have a Kindle anymore.

(K2 doesn't count! It's old and clunky)

message 3: by Madison E. (new)

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments I am still thinking about it because I have the Kindle Touch 3G, so I'm not sure if it is worth the upgrade. The two downsides for me to do the switch is 1.) the new one does not support text-to-speech (I know the audio is awful but I use this in the car a fair amount) and 2.) it's half the size memory wise as my Kindle Touch.

Other the other hand, it has the self lit which I really would love AND the screen is just freaking gorgeous.

Just trying to decide if I will wait for next generation in a a year. I feel like my Kindle is less than a year old (also was a gift) and it is working perfectly fine.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mjbrooks) It's quite tempting, but I think I will wait until the dust settles. The previous Kindle Touch sounded great, but once people began using them they reported laggy page turns and that the use of IR wasn't anything close to capacitive technology. Since this is their first run at the latter and the first time (I think) that it is being used with an E-Ink device I'd prefer to go on more than what their marketing department says.

message 5: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) Madison wrote: "I am still thinking about it because I have the Kindle Touch 3G, so I'm not sure if it is worth the upgrade. The two downsides for me to do the switch is 1.) the new one does not support text-to-sp..."

I don't use TTS at all, so I won't miss that, but the capacity is kinda bugging me too. It's way down from the K3 that I had, which clocks in at over 3 gigs useable space.

message 6: by Jessica (last edited Sep 11, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

Jessica (apsalar) | 9 comments Would love to get it, but no shipping outside the US yet.
I do have a k3, but I guess I can convince myself that the new one is sooo much better. The light, if it works as well as they say, will be a huge plus for reading at night when my partner sleeps and being able to sit outside in the evenings without a clumsy booklight stuck on the kindle (don't have the lighted cover, too expensive).

Since I've never had any use for TTS or the audio at all that isn't a problem for me. And I don't use even close to the full capacity of the memory, even though I have a couple of hundred books and articles on it. Just remove the books I've read and put new one on it when needed.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tiffanyfarrantgonzalez) It looks like they've added some really nice features but it has no confirmed release date for the UK, which gives me a sad

message 8: by Madison E. (new)

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments @Matthew I didn't have any laggy issues with my Kindle Touch. They are doing capactive touch for the Kindle Paperwhite. I would think that would be a better touch screen.

@Bitchie and @Apsalar The memory decrease isn't the biggest deal for me because you can always archive Kindle books in the cloud or store other books on computers and such.

message 9: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments My wonderful husband ordered it for me the day it was released. He said that if you amortize the use I get out of the Kindle it is well worth the upgrade.

I LOVE that man!

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah | 100 comments I bought the regular Kindle Fire last week, not knowing that there was an upgrade coming out Friday! Needless to say, I returned that one and ordered the new one. (For the SAME price!)

message 11: by Amazon80 (new)

Amazon80 | 4 comments I have already added this to my Christmas Wish List. I was so tired of losing book lights. This will make reading in bed with the hubz much easier.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie (subtleseasonings) | 88 comments Since it doesn't support text-to-speech I won't be buying it. I use that feature a ton (the monotonous voice helps put me to sleep and since I have insomnia it's a wonderful feature!). I'm disappointed they didn't even include a headphone jack - the speaker isn't necessary but a jack would have been nice.

message 13: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (wildflowerz) Nah. I got a Touch for Christmas and it took 3 different ones before I found one that worked. We bought a refurb Fire for the Little and she loves it, but the fact that I can't make collections on a Fire is seriously irritating. Especially since my Little is 8 and the stuff I read isn't appropriate for her. We ended up just d/l her stuff to the Fire, but everything else is still readily accessible. Not a fan. :(

message 14: by Bleu (last edited Sep 11, 2012 10:46AM) (new)

Bleu Caldwell (bleucaldwell) | 101 comments I really, really want the Paperwhite 3G. I use the Kindle app on my iPad now, so I don't really *need* one -- I just don't always carry my iPad, plus I can't use the iPad outdoors (I know, first world problems). The ability to borrow books is also a plus. Hoping I might get one for Christmas!

I love the sound of the new read-speed tracking, the length to end-of-chapter and the Audible integration and syncing (although I'm not sure how that works with the Paperwhite)... Hoping all or at least some of that is going to be available on the iPad app!

Hope to hear how you like the new Kindle when you get it!

message 15: by Madison E. (new)

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments Julie wrote: "Since it doesn't support text-to-speech I won't be buying it. I use that feature a ton (the monotonous voice helps put me to sleep and since I have insomnia it's a wonderful feature!). I'm disappoi..."

A.) I love that you like this feature for it's usual issue in most peoples eyes!
B.) I totally agree with you on the headphone jack. I get the speakers, but they could have added the software support and the jack. Then people could listen to music and use TTS if they want.

message 16: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments Also remember that you have to pay to "opt-out" of ads on the new Kindle.

message 17: by Jen (last edited Sep 11, 2012 12:02PM) (new)

Jen (alatariel97) | 50 comments I went and drooled over the Paperwhite when they announced it, and promptly added it to my Christmas Wish List. I've started reading using the Kindle app on my smartphone, and I would really like something larger. Plus, my phone always dies and I have to go plug it in. Supposedly the Paperwhite has 8 weeks of battery life, which is just mind-boggling.

Can't wait to hear what people think of it once they get one!

message 18: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) That 8 weeks is based on 30 minutes of reading a day, who only reads 30 minutes a day?

But still, I want. Unfortunately, it will probably be early next year before I get one.

message 19: by Leah (new)

Leah | 100 comments Julie wrote: "Since it doesn't support text-to-speech I won't be buying it. I use that feature a ton (the monotonous voice helps put me to sleep and since I have insomnia it's a wonderful feature!). I'm disappoi..."

Where does it say there is no headphone jack? It looks like there is one in the pictures!

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ndayeni) | 64 comments Bitchie wrote: "That 8 weeks is based on 30 minutes of reading a day, who only reads 30 minutes a day?

But still, I want. Unfortunately, it will probably be early next year before I get one."

There are lots of days I only get 30 minutes to read. During my lunch break at work.

I may or may not upgrade my kindle when these come out. I'll have to look into them more and think about it.

message 21: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) True, some days I hardly read at all, but I tend to read at least an hour or so at a time, whenever I can. :)

As to the cloud storage- I don't buy a lot of books from amazon, and I don't know exactly how the Cloud works with non-amazon purchases.

I really don't know why it bugs me so much, as I never got even close to 1100 books on my K3, I think max was 700 something lol! I guess it's just the feeling of taking a step back.

message 22: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) Does anyone know if that awesome Time to Read feature is only coming with the Paperwhite kindle? I ordered the Fire HD and would LOVE it if it had this feature too. It's not listed in the specs, so I'm guessing it's not?

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy (yams) Tegan wrote: "Also remember that you have to pay to "opt-out" of ads on the new Kindle."

Technically that's only the new Kindle Fires. The eInk Kindles are the same as always, you can buy a "Special Offers" version or a regular version. Though I do realise it's pretty much the same thing as paying to opt out :P It's just that nothing is new about the way they are handling it for the eInk ones.

message 24: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments I'm just annoyed that they even started out with "all the fires have ads, no opting out" but then I've got a lot of issue with Amazon as they relate to ebooks (though I have to stay up on what they're doing due to my job).

As the owner of a frontlit e-reader I have to say they're pretty fantastic. As a techie I'd say if you're going to get a tablet get a tablet, and not a tablet e-reader. You'll have better range of functionality overall and easier access to books from a wider range of sources.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (subtleseasonings) | 88 comments Leah - I've seen on both the Amazon forums and various articles that it doesn't have a headphone jack. Check out this article here where it specifically says no jack and no audio features whatsoever.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3300...

message 26: by Madison E. (new)

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 231 comments I think of the ads as the way they keep the cost down. Personally, I think their options are reasonably priced for what you are getting. I have ads on my Kindle Touch and they don't really bug me. It's just a strip at the bottom of the screen and the screen saver when I sleep the device. I can't speak for how intrusive they are on the Kindle Fire(s).

message 27: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin I'm pumped about the other release that was announced the same day - the Kobo Glo! Same idea, different company, but available in Canada :)

message 28: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/tec...

NY Times review of the new Kindle Fire, talks about problems with the features. I still say get a Nexus 7 or something equivalent if you're going for a $200 7" tablet. ~shrugs~

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie Wooldridge | 6 comments Want! Want! Want! I will be ordering one soon. I love my Kindle Generation 2, and have been wanting to upgrade to the Touch version for about a month, but when I heard about the Press Conference I decided to wait for the newest version.

message 30: by Amy (last edited Sep 12, 2012 09:58AM) (new)

Amy (yams) Tegan wrote: "I'm just annoyed that they even started out with "all the fires have ads, no opting out""

That was definitely a bad move on their part, glad they relented and are offering the opt-out now. But I do agree with you, if I were in the market for a tablet I'd go for a "real" one and not something like the Kindle Fire.

I am excited about the Kindle Paperwhite though, I was extremely jealous of my father who has a Nook Glowlight.

message 31: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments Amy wrote: "I am excited about the Kindle Paperwhite though, I was extremely jealous of my father who has a Nook Glowlight. "

Front lit really is a great feature, and not horribly disturbing to those near by at least the times I've used my glowlight.

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (whatsherface) | 1 comments I definitely pre-ordered the paperwhite! So excited for the light, the on/off cover, the time estimate, more fonts, faster responsiveness. Yeah!

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 111 comments Haven't thought about purchasing it just yet..Perhaps when I get tired of my older kindle I might.

message 34: by Jules (new)

Jules (badwolf23) | 10 comments Jenn wrote: "Nah. I got a Touch for Christmas and it took 3 different ones before I found one that worked. We bought a refurb Fire for the Little and she loves it, but the fact that I can't make collections o..."

We have this problem too!! Our 7 year old daughter has a fire, and I constantly have to remind myself to delete my purchases from the carousel on her homepage b/c they automatically pop up!! grrr

message 35: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 34 comments i'm seriously considering the paperwhite -- looks pretty good. I don't have any kind of e-reader or whatnot (just a regular laptop) .. as of now I get books from my local stores or from ebay -- like I just got 2 hardbacks in seriously nice condition from a good will industries seller for like 4 bucks including shipping. So now I'm going to drop 9+ dollars for the same book to read on my kindle? No.. i'm evil so I'll hit tscan.eu and download 10,000 books for free

I dono.. I'm really thinking i'll stick to real books otherwise i'll just steal a million of them and feel guilty but it won't stop me

-z

message 36: by Bitchie (new)

Bitchie (matron) Jules wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Nah. I got a Touch for Christmas and it took 3 different ones before I found one that worked. We bought a refurb Fire for the Little and she loves it, but the fact that I can't make ..."

Have you heard about the new Nook tablets coming out? Apparently they allow you to have more than one user profile for each user (not sure how many), to keep things like that from happening. So you could have your profile of grown up fun time, and your little one could have her profile of kiddie fun time.

Of course then you'd have to deal with B&N support, and I really HATE B&N.

message 37: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Lisa wrote: "Speaking of Kindles, could the group make sure that the book selections are available on Kindle? I wasn't able to read last month's alt book because it wasn't on Kindle. Thanks!
Lisa"

I have a Kindle and I was able to read last month's pick on mine, but that was because I'd gotten the pick before the publisher went out of business. It wasn't the fault of the Vag Fantasy crew...

I also think it maybe isn't reasonable for us to feel they have to make sure the pick is available on every format every time. There are too many formats and there are a lot of great books.

Although I read almost exclusively on my Kindle...I think that making sure the main pick is a print book is good enough. That way people who cannot afford to have an e-reader are able to get it through libraries, etc.