Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Fun Stuff > Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti (Casserole)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Speaking of food -

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti (Casserole)

Sounds disgusting, but it's one of the best casseroles I've ever had!

Ingredients

• 2 cups Cooked Chicken
• 3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
• 2 cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
• 2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
• ¼ cups Finely Diced Green Pepper
• ¼ cups Finely Diced Onion
• 1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
• 2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot
• 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
• ⅛ teaspoons (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
• Salt And Pepper, to taste
• 1 cup Additional Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.

Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).

If you want to see the video and images of the cooking process, here it is:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/20...

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Yum! Sounds great!

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:04PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I have a recipe that is similar but very tasty that my mom and a bunch of folks around here do. It doesn't have the Pimentos or Lawry's season salt but it uses most of the other ingredients, I think. And it's very yummy!!!! Oh and my recipe uses velveeta cheese instead of cheddar

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I hope you try it and love it, Jessica!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela, I can't stand Velveeta cheese. I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't. LOL!!

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Then you should stick to the cheddar cheese recipe ☺

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I did! Love it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
I am not too fond of processed cheese period, Dhestiny. Older I get, less I can stand American cheese. Is the antiAmerican? LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish LOL!! I've never liked the taste of American cheese, and my mom thought Kraft Singles and Velveeta were gifts from the gods. Growing up, we had that on evvvvvvvvvvvvvverything! I think that's why I don't care for either very much.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

My daughter doesn't like processed cheese either. ☺ She will eat cheddar cheese and string cheese and nothing else.

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Sep 11, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You know what I do love? Kraft Mac N Cheese. There's just something about the yellow/orange powdered whatever-it-is that just screams GOOOOOOOD!

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Me too Kraft Mac and Cheese is awesome. I don't care for velvetta or american cheese either through. There is just something that weirds me out about pasteurized processed cheese food. :(

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
I love cheddar cheese! My favorite. I love most cheese (love it!), but I can't stomach those Kraft Singles/American singles slices! I also hate nacho cheese. It's too slick! I prefer shredded.

Pamela, I love those cheese sticks as a snack!

Glad I'm not the only one who isn't fond of processed cheese.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "You know what I do love? Kraft Mac N Cheese. There's just something about the yellow/orange powdered whatever-it-is that just screams GOOOOOOOD!"

Uniquely, I love kraft mac and cheese and grew up on it. But I live in Ireland now and they don't have it. So any time some one comes to visit from america all I ask for is boxes of Mac n cheese.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You know, Laura, when my daughter got married, I gave her 3 cases of Mac N Cheese because I wasn't sure her husband would feed her addiction! LOL!

I only like homemade macaroni and cheese. I don't like it out of the box. But then Mac N' Cheese is a huge holiday dish for us in our family.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Danielle, give me your recipe. I can't seem to get it right.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Sep 11, 2012 09:46PM) (new)

It's not real exact, to be honest, but I'll try.

Danielle’s Macaroni and Cheese
½-1 package of 12 oz. dried macaroni
¾-1 8 oz. package Velveeta shredded cheese
½-1 8 oz. package sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbs Frigo 3-Cheese Italian shredded
¼ bell pepper (diced)
½ onion (diced)
Spices to taste: seasoning salt, garlic, black pepper, parsley
However much cheese you like. I like mine cheesy and I prefer cheddar and other cheese over Velveeta, so I add more of it.

Make a béchamel (white sauce) by combining 50 grams (about 6 tablespoons) melted butter
50 grams (3 1/2 tablespoons) flour
2 cups (about 480 grams) milk.

The amount of milk varies slightly. Use less milk for a thicker mixture. Melt butter first with vegetables (bell pepper and onion) until vegetables are clear, and stir in flour. Gradually whisk in milk and keep whisking. It will eventually get thick (after 3-5 mins).

Boil pasta just on the underdone side of al dente. Pour out all but 1 cup water from pot. Stir in béchamel sauce. Gradually add in cheese above. Pot should be on low medium heat.

Add mixture to buttered baking dish. Cover mixture with thick layer of shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar cheese in my case).
Bake about 45 minutes. Usually I take the foil off after about 38 minutes and allow the cheese to brown.

I’m sure this is very caloric and fatty, but tastes great!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "You know, Laura, when my daughter got married, I gave her 3 cases of Mac N Cheese because I wasn't sure her husband would feed her addiction! LOL!"

That's so funny. My dad just brought me 10 boxes. I've managed to finish off 7 of them in two weeks.