Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Cooking Chat > Gluten Free Recipes from Cookbooks

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, I moved this thread from Vegan Cookbooks to Cooking Chat because in the cookbooks folder each thread discusses a specific cookbook, and I was afraid this thread would get lost there. This thread fits better in this folder.

message 2: by Wiebke (new)

Wiebke | 34 comments Don wrote: "From "Radiant Health, Inner Wealth"

Nori rolls with creamy ginger-wasabi & lemon-lime soy sauce - This was my first try making nori rolls and they came out pretty good if I do say so myself. I us..."

I love sushi and yours looks really tasty, Don. I like the colour. What is your yellow ingredient in the roll? A yellow pepper?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, both of these look delicious to me. This and other books and their recipes are showing me it wouldn't be too hard to be vegan and gluten free. I'm glad the cookbooks are out there. Thanks for sharing your creations.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, Have you tried various gluten free breads and pastas? I love whole wheat pasta and whole grain bread so I know it would take some effort to give them up.

How's it going? I'm hoping you can add back reasonable amounts of gluten, maybe not seitan (100% gluten) but those breads, pastas, etc.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, I've noticed that a lot of gf products aren't vegan. But I've seen many labeled as both.

I'm so sorry that you've become sensitive. Yes, sensitivities and allergies can come and go at any time.

During the 6 1/2 years I was going from vegetarian to vegan I became lactose intolerant. Of course, I don't care about that because I'd never eat dairy products. But it was interesting.

More and more vegan and gf products are coming on the market so I have hope that delicious pastas and breads will appear, many of them.

And, Don, while I feel badly for you, you're heads above many others who might experience this issue because you're an avid cook, and you're used to being creative and making so many different foods.

Maybe you can donate the pasta to a food bank, or maybe someone you know will trade for it, giving you foods in return that you can eat.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don wrote: "Thanks Lisa. I'm going to embrace and make the best of it. I am either going to give the food to a food bank or my niece whom is struggling to raise her kids healthy on a limited income."

Food banks are always a good choice but since you know someone, your niece and her kids would be a perfect choice, in my opinion.

message 7: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments Hi Don,

Although I can eat gluten, I try gluten free products to see what they are like. As you said, most gluten free breads aren't vegan and the vegan ones I have tasted have not been good (in my opinon). However, I was recently at the Portland Veg Fest and they had samples of some gf vegan bread that was excellent. It came in many varieties and they were yummy. I will look and see if I grabbed a card or can figure out the name of the company and I'll let you know. There is such an explosion in gluten free products now (as well as vegan products)that there will be more and better ones coming.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Nettie, Thanks. If you find the bread company, do please post here. I have a non-vegan friend who's supposed to go gluten free and dairy free for health reasons and, of course, I encourage her to eat more vegan products too. At times she is interested in being vegetarian or vegan, but so far it never lasts with her.

message 9: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
Don, I had some pasta made from amaranth the other day at a friend's house and it was really good. I'm not sure if there was any wheat in it but you could check it out. It had good texture.

message 10: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
I didn't actually see the package, I wish I had because I liked it a lot too. I'll look for that blended one, I'm trying to stay away from wheat pasta myself. I always feel so tired after I eat it.

message 11: by Nettie (new)

Nettie | 111 comments So I tried to find the name of the tasty gluten free vegan bread that I mentioned tasting at Portland Veg Fest. I couldn't find their card, but I looked online for exhibitors from the festival. I think that it may be:

happycampersglutenfree.com

I'm not postive it's the same company but that is the only gluten free bread I saw on a list of exhibitors from the festival. So it's probably the right one. It's made in Oregon. You can order online. If you try it, hope you like it.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thank you, Nettie.

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthaevansosborne) | 15 comments Thanks! The bread looks/sounds good.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, I've always heard that baking instructions (other than adding seeds or touches such as that) have to be precisely followed. So, I'd definitely try it with the suggested water. I hope that helps. It sounds as though this bread could be delicious and healthy.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don wrote: "Thanks. I'm pretty precise when it comes to trying something new."

I thought you made everything just once anyway???

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, That makes sense.