Reading the Classics discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > October Group Read

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 413 comments Mod
Time to start nominating our group read for October! Because of Halloween, let's read a ghost story or something Gothic. As always, please one nomination per person!

message 4: by Kelsi * Essentially Booked * (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:23PM) (new)

Kelsi * Essentially Booked * Dracula Dracula by Bram Stoker byBram Stoker. It's Halloween themed right? :)

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick (parepidemos) | 59 comments I second "The Woman in White".

message 7: by Bevin (last edited Sep 11, 2012 02:55AM) (new)

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 17 comments The Woman in White! :)

message 9: by Corine (new)

Corine (Corine67) I vote for 'Rebecca' (as I just finished TWiW ...;-) )

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula | 4 comments I second Dracula! :)

message 11: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments I fourth the Woman in White. Had another group read that last month and just haven't had a chance to get to it. I wonder why that one is so popular all of a sudden?

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Higgins | 5 comments I will say 'Rebecca' as my vote, it is on my 'to read' list. Since it is probably going to come down to Rebecca, The Woman in White, and Dracula. How about you make the 'runner up' as a side read or optional. I have recently read Dracula, and someone else has read The Women in White recently. I'm sure if there is another option that it could result in a happy medium.

Ƥαʋℓα Я. ♏❥ (Paula_R) | 42 comments My vote goes to The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens The mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens :) (I've read Dracula and Rebecca plenty of times...)

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2 comments "The Woman in White", because I have that one and just haven't read it yet.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (waterbaby) | 17 comments I'm worn out from Anna Karenina and the drama! Need a lighter read this month but need to think about it. Like the suggestions so far.

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 413 comments Mod
I'm thinking I will start the poll tomorrow.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 140 comments "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins is a favorite of mine, but I also like his "No Name" and "The Law and the Lady." His female characters are clear-headed, strong, and independent. I'm surprised we don't hear more about him as a writer.

message 18: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 413 comments Mod
Susan wrote: ""The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins is a favorite of mine, but I also like his "No Name" and "The Law and the Lady." His female characters are clear-headed, strong, and independent. I'm surprised we ..."

Which one are you nominating?

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil (Lanark) Susan wrote: ""The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins is a favorite of mine, but I also like his "No Name" and "The Law and the Lady." His female characters are clear-headed, strong, and independent. I'm surprised we ..."

Argh! Don't split the Wilkie Collins vote ;)

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken Brimhall (kenbrimhall) The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 17 comments Every time i have gone on a nomination poll recently everyone has voted for Rebecca, i think it is next months read for one of my other group. It is such a popular book!

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (waterbaby) | 17 comments The Woman in White gets my vote

message 23: by Pritam (new)

Pritam Chatterjee (Achillies) | 1 comments Frankenstein

message 24: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Kelly wrote: "I will say 'Rebecca' as my vote, it is on my 'to read' list. Since it is probably going to come down to Rebecca, The Woman in White, and Dracula. How about you make the 'runner up' as a side read o..."

Exactly, I've recently read both, and Frankenstein. I feel like we should do something unexpected.

message 25: by G (new)

G Hodges (GLH1) | 34 comments We could always do a short read of
The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe

message 26: by Jes (new)

Jes (SantaRosa) | 4 comments Rebecca sounds intreguing;however, I wonder if it qualifies as a classic. The Woman in White seems to be more of a classic to me and therefore gets my vote. We could also read Frankenstein maybe.

message 27: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments Whatever happened to A Tale of Two Cities being next? I thought I remembered that discussing that after the last poll. Doesn't matter to me either way, I'll read anything mentioned, they all sound good to me. :)

message 28: by G (new)

G Hodges (GLH1) | 34 comments Alana wrote: "Whatever happened to A Tale of Two Cities being next? I thought I remembered that discussing that after the last poll. Doesn't matter to me either way, I'll read anything mentioned, they all sound ..."

Ditto - as long as I can fit the book in (Anna Karenina wasn't a possibility for me but I am rereading The Hobbit)

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen (IcingSugar) | 11 comments I like the idea of either Frankenstein or Dracula for October.

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 413 comments Mod
I just set up the poll!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.