Review Group discussion

Advice > Talk to the Mods

Comments Showing 1-50 of 313 (313 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) If any disputes arise between members or you just have a question about something, please post here. The moderators will address it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali Isaac (aliisaac) Hi Mods!

I just joined your group today. When and how do we find out what group we are in, and whose book we are to review? Do we have to buy the book from Amazon, or do we give out free copies to the reviewer? Just not clear how it works...although I have read the rules, perhaps I've missed something? If so, sorry!!!

message 3: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Hi Ali
and welcome! I see that you have found the register thread so that's perfect. Jay has been super organised at posting the threads for the Group rounds so keep an eye on those. No, you won't have to buy the book from Amazon. You can gift a copy to your reviewer or email them a pdf. What we've been doing is to befriend one another on here then request email address to send to.
Any more questions, just ask.

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Ali- slot 8 of group 2 is available if you want it.

message 5: by Ali (new)

Ali Isaac (aliisaac) Ok Jay, count me in, no time like the present!

message 6: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 197 comments Hmm. I just registered for this group, and immediately at my site I noticed some books I'm marked to read. Did that come from this group? And do I buy these books, or do I download them for free? Also when my books, I hope, are marked for review, how do I get them to the reviewer for free? I can gift them through Smashwords.

At this point, I'm waiting for my kindle I ordered to arrive in the mail, so I can begin reviewing.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Hi, Gloria.

When you're registered for a review round, the person whose book you'll be reviewing is supposed to send you a copy or coupon free of charge. This keeps things fair and encourages more participation. (I say 'fair' because if you sell your novels for a mere 99¢ while the author you're reviewing has their book selling for $19.99, then that would be too much of a disparity.)

Regarding the addition at your site of books marked 'to read', there is no functionality in the group or any other that I know of that would cause that to happen. I'll do a little research to verify that though.

Also, you don't need to wait for your Kindle to arrive if you have access to the web and a laptop or PC and you want to start participating now. If you're reviewing a work available for Kindle, the author can gift the book to you and you can download it to your Amazon cloud reader. You can read the book offline once downloading it via your cloud reader as downloaded and pinned. (I'm actually reading a couple of books that way right now.)

Thank you for the questions! I hope that cleared some things up for you -- and I'll be sure to incorporate them into an FAQ document I'm putting together for the group.

I look forward to reading your reviews! Thanks again for registering yourself and participating.

message 8: by Gloria (last edited Sep 17, 2012 09:18PM) (new)

Gloria Piper | 197 comments Thanks for info. I need to use the Kindle because I don't have the time to sit before a computer. It should be arriving in the mail soon.

As for the books marked to read, that's from marking books during a giveaway. I didn't realize they would be added to my "to read" list. I would rather delete them, but can't figure out how. Not that I wouldn't like to read them, but whenever I enter a library, I am surrounded by books I'd like to read. I don't add them to a "to read" list.

So, will I have a choice of books to review, or will I be shown one book?

Thanks for your help.

message 9: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Hi Gloria,
Welcome to the group.
Someone else may be able to answer the question about deleting from your to read list. As Mike says, that has no connection with our group.
Re the choice of books: no, everyone is allocated a book randomly to keep things a) fair and b)manageable. Otherwise, this would become too much of an administrative burden. In future, we may be able to have genre-specific review groups if that is what people want but for now we are reading across genres. If you really don't feel you can review the book you are allocated, please contact either Jay, Mike or myself here asap and someone else will take your place for that round.

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I don't know which reviews you've seen, Steve, but these are the ones we've posted.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

There's no word limit, but it's only courteous to make it long enough to have some meaning and be helpful if there are any perceived areas that need work.

message 11: by Mike (last edited Sep 23, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Steve wrote: "I just read about 10 reviews at the main page. Almost every one was one or two sentences long. The longest was only three very short paragraphs. Is there a word limit to our reviews? Don't want to ..."

I think it would be difficult to find a writer participating in this group who would complain about a review of their book being too long. :)

message 12: by Jay (last edited Sep 23, 2012 01:14PM) (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Oh dear, Steve, I see what you mean. That's very poor. In most cases I'd call those ratings rather than reviews.

So, we make our mark on GR not only as the most honourable group, but as the best authors and reviewers too ;)

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne Carlisle (acarlisle) | 328 comments Right on!

message 14: by James (new)

James Lande (oldchinabooks) Jay,

Thank you for your invitation. As I understand the "rounds" to work, by registering I would be expected to review one or more books, however my writing schedule does not allow adequate time for much casual reading.

Sounds like the best option for me would be "register as a reader and just pick up the occasional review, or just join in the discussions." In that case, should I still post my information to your Register Here! thread?

I would like to have Yankee Mandarin reviewed, however, if that remains fair by your rules.

Best regards,
James Lande
Old China Books

message 15: by Jay (last edited Sep 25, 2012 12:47PM) (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) The way it works, James, is groups of 10 authors participate in 4 review rounds, 3 weeks per round to read and post a review. Their own book is reviewed by someone at the same time as they review someone else's. We arrange it so that there is no reciprocal reviewing.

Now, there is no filtering of genres - you just get the next book in the list. If an author refuses, for whatever reason, to review that particular book, or cannot due to unexpected circumstances, they contact the mods and we arrange for one of the registered readers to take over that one slot.

If you want your book reviewed but don't have the time for 4 review rounds, you could always ask on the general discussion threads if another member has some time free to review you book.

(Edit from previous post - sorry, Mike - didn't realise you intended the nominations thread to be just for non-members' work.)

message 16: by James (new)

James Lande (oldchinabooks) Jay wrote: "The way it works, James, is groups of 10 authors participate in 4 review rounds, 3 weeks per round to read and post a review. Their own book is reviewed by someone at the same time as they review s..."

Hi Jay,

I have placed mention of Yankee Mandarin under Nominate for Review - hope that is what you had in mind.

James

message 17: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) James wrote: "Jay wrote: "The way it works, James, is groups of 10 authors participate in 4 review rounds, 3 weeks per round to read and post a review. Their own book is reviewed by someone at the same time as t..."

Bit of a mix up there, James, my apologies, but I've moved you to general discussions.

message 18: by James (new)

James Lande (oldchinabooks) Jay wrote: "James wrote: "Jay wrote: "The way it works, James, is groups of 10 authors participate in 4 review rounds, 3 weeks per round to read and post a review. Their own book is reviewed by someone at the ..."

Jay, you need to talk with Mike.

message 19: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) James, Mike and I have discussed this and reached an agreement. There are plenty of other groups on GR that will help you if all you want is other people to review your book. There are also hundreds of book bloggers you could approach. What we are trying to do is a different concept.

Here our intention is to facilitate getting early reviews but in a mutually helpful manner while avoiding reciprocal reviews that could be seen as suspect by other people. We do this by arranging groups of authors to help each other. They get their own work reviewed and repay the hard work that takes, and it is hard work if you intend to do it properly, by reviewing someone else’s book.

To be fair to our members, we've agreed the rule should be that if you want something out of the group, you should also put something in. Sorry, but that decision is final.

Good luck with your book, and if you feel ready at any time to commit to 12 weeks of reviewing as well as being reviewed we’ll be pleased to see you in one of the reviewing groups.

message 20: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments I can make that vote unanimous. We know it's hard to get reviews; we know that reviewing takes time away from writing and marketing. But on the upside, I know I'm reading more broadly and feel part of a community which is important.

message 21: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I can agree with those sentiments, Marie-Anne. It's only through my involvement with reviewing that I've had the pleasure of reading books that I would never normally have chosen. I've been very pleasantly surprised, and had my eyes opened in more than one respect. Just as important is the warm feeling that friendship brings, friends who know what I'm going through as an indie author and are willing to help with everything from a sympathetic ear to proof reading. A year ago I didn't know any authors and felt very isolated.

What a brave new world we live in...

message 22: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Walker (Ekko_Johnny) Hi all,

I'm afraid I won't be able to continue being a part of the group. I apologize. I'm getting hammered with other work and I just won't have the time needed to be a supportive member.

Prior to this message I contacted Larry, as it's his book I need to review. I informed him I would complete his review as promised, and happy to do so.

Again, my apologies. I'll be checking in to read the reviews and I'm sending everyone my very best wishes for BIG success.

jw

message 23: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments Hi Johnny, thanks for letting us know. This group is expanding at quite a rate so I'd like to think it will be active for a long time and maybe in the future you will have time to participate again. You're always welcome. Very best of luck with your writing.

message 24: by Larry (new)

Larry Garner (larryanimalgarner) | 25 comments As Johnny said, he informed me that he'll be unable to continue in the group, and that he would finish his review of my book, although not sure of the timeframe.

If anyone else would care to take a crack at it, I'd be tickled.

Best of luck in your endeavors, Johnny, and I hope to see you back.

message 25: by Mona (new)

Mona Karel (monakarel) | 78 comments I had Johnny's book for second round review...where do you want me now? Thanks

message 26: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1703 comments Mod
I see there are no videos in the "video" section - should we be adding our book trailers there or is it for something else?

message 27: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Larry wrote: "As Johnny said, he informed me that he'll be unable to continue in the group, and that he would finish his review of my book, although not sure of the timeframe.

If anyone else would care to take ..."

I'm a goodly way through it as my book for round 2, so you won't have long to wait for a review, Larry.

Johnny - hope things get sorted for you. I'll get cracking on finding a replacement for rounds 2 to 4.

Mona - I'll let you know asap.

Thanks.

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) K.A. wrote: "I see there are no videos in the "video" section - should we be adding our book trailers there or is it for something else?"

Please feel free to add book trailers! The more the better! I love videos -- also, members participating in reviewing rounds should feel free to add links to videos of interviews, promotions, &c.

Thanks!

message 29: by K.A. (last edited Sep 27, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Thanks, Mod Squad. Will do.

(ETA: I think I need permissions or something to add videos?)

message 30: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) K.A. wrote: "Thanks, Mod Squad. Will do.

(ETA: I think I need permissions or something to add videos?)"

Did you get an error? If so, please email me the link and I'll add your video for you.

message 31: by K.A. (new)

No error - just no apparent way to add videos once I go to the "videos" link on the group. I just get a message saying, "No videos have been added yet". Maybe I'm being dense?

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) You should see videos at the bottom of the main page. To the right of these you should see a link for adding videos.

Do you see them?

message 33: by K.A. (new)

I see the videos. I see no link to add videos. There is a link that says "More Videos" which takes me to the video page, which now had 4 videos on it. Same thing when I click the "videos" link in the upper right-hand corner. But there is no link on that page, either, for me to add a video, although it appears I can comment on other peoples' videos.

message 34: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I've just had a look - I see 4 listed on the left and on the right:

all videos
add a new video

after clicking the main videos link.

message 35: by K.A. (new)

I get the "all videos" link but not an "add a new video" link.

I don't think I have the right permissions...

message 36: by Mike (new)

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Sorry about the inconvenience here, K.A. Please message me the link to your video and I'll add it for you right away.

Thanks!

message 37: by K.A. (new)

OK, thanks.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (Lizzimac207) | 1 comments Hi Mods!
I'm in group 3 - last I read we had 9 people, can we go ahead and start round one with 9? We could add a 10th for round 2...
I'm anxious to get started before we lose anyone!
Thanks for doing this!
Liz

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne Carlisle (acarlisle) | 328 comments Great idea, Steve...I second that motion. -Anne

message 40: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 139 comments I have two books on the go at the moment but if neither Jay or Mike have time, I will join you.

message 41: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Thanks, Marie-Anne, I'll add you in.

I was tempted to join in, but that's because this is easier than writing. I haven't done any - writing, that is - since August and am having to force myself to get going again. The first page is always the hardest. I know the enjoyment will come after that first page, but it's still too easy to procrastinate.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I have posted the reviews that I have written on Amazon. I have read that Amazon are deleting reviews from authors. Does this mean that we won't be able to post there or should I continue and hope they are not deleted? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-kon...

message 43: by Anne (new)

Anne Carlisle (acarlisle) | 328 comments I think that only means Amazon deletes a review if it finds that the author wrote it or it was reciprocal. I wouldn't worry about it.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

OK Thanks Anne.

message 45: by Ali (new)

Ali Isaac (aliisaac) Hi Mods, Is there a round 5 for Group 2? I can't seem to find it. And am I right in thinking that Round 5 will be the end of Group 2, otherwise we will be doing recipricol reviews? What happens then? Do we join a different group? Questions, questions!!!

message 46: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Hi Ali
There is never a round 5 - 4 rounds per group is it, finito, or join a new group. Would you like to enlist in Group 6?

message 47: by Ali (new)

Ali Isaac (aliisaac) Ok Jay, yes, please put me down for group 6, that would be great!

And a big THANK YOU to everyone in Group 2 who took the time to read and review my book!

message 48: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Will do, Ali - you'll be #5 I think.

message 49: by Ali (new)

Ali Isaac (aliisaac) Thanks! When will it be starting? (Hint: after New Year???!!!)

message 50: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) On or after 29th December, depending on when we have 10 members.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7