The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Secret World?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1701 comments Mod
Anyone else (other than me a Ralff) playing TSW?

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hakala (hak42) | 4 comments I can't seem to manage more than one MMO and LotRO has me fairly well ensnared.

message 3: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
You and Ralff enjoying it, V? I keep reading that the world and story is great but the combat is dull. I'm intrigued, though...

message 4: by Random (last edited Sep 10, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) My husband and I have been playing it since closed beta.

There are some aspects we adore (such as the investigation missions) and some that are interesting (such as the open skill wheel). In some ways its as much of an MMO Adventure as it is a MMORPG and I like that a lot, though I can easily see how its not everyone's cup of tea.

My main concern with the game is longevity/replay value. Once I've worked my way through all of the content, I don't know if there will be anything left to draw my attention. The fact that a character can eventually be everything (get the entire skill wheel) means there isn't a whole lot of reason to make additional characters with different builds. They seem to have an aggressive plan for new content, but I don't know if it will be enough.

Re Investigation Missions:

We spent almost an entire Saturday working on one especially tricky investigation mission. Almost no combat other than what you can avoid while running around. Did a lot of reading, refreshed my memory of a lot of Egyptian history. It was a blast. :D

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian (aussiecavalier) | 9 comments I've been playing on-and-off, but my SWToR addiction refuse to let me go...

..oh, and WoW...

..and CoH...

..and STO...

So many MMOs, so little time...

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) I've been switching between SWToR and Secret World lately. I've been playing CoH since not long after launch but with the news that NCSoft is shutting them down, I haven't had the heart to login. :(

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian (aussiecavalier) | 9 comments There is a big movement by the playerbase to keep CoH running. I hope it succeeds, but sadly I have my doubts.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie England (tehluhlah) | 8 comments I've been playing and really enjoying TSW, I love the no classes and no levels approach they took.

message 9: by Kevin (last edited Sep 14, 2012 09:32AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Hey, more CoH players!

I was thinking about looking into TSW once I get over being bummed out by my long time MMO home getting canceled without warning ... Maybe that time never comes. I've been questioning if it's really worth all that time and monetary investment, not the mention the emotional one, if they can just close up shop from one day to another.

It's really sad. I haven't played CoH all summer and not any of the content from last update (issue 23) yet. I was preparing to go back at it full time once issue 24, which was shaping up to be the most awesome update in a long time (and there have been some very awesome ones recently), was released. Now that's never going to happen and I haven't been able to bring myself to log in so far ...

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Nasuti (rlnasuti) | 31 comments I've been following it and am very close to giving it a go. Booting my Mac into windows makes me feel dirty though and is the only reason I haven't tried it yet.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1890 comments I waited years for it, then played the facebook game thing until I got beta, then tried to play it and found it wouldn't run on my netbook, which I probably should have known, but anyway, that was my beta wasted. I'd love to know how the game plays. It's certainly on my wishlist, but money is tight.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Stubbs | 23 comments I played a tiny bit in the beta and spent a couple of weeks watching other people play The Secret World. If I had the money (which I don't) I would probably buy the game and do the subscription route. The Investigation stuff is where the game really shines though. Combat is ok.

message 13: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 1 comments What about GW2? As long as you get past the mindset of traditional MMO's it is quite challenging and entertaining. Good story lines, cooperative play, and deep crafting. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Also please don't compare it to it's predecessor. It is nothing like number one.