Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Feb 6th is National Wear Red for Women Day

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments Friday, Feb 6th is National Wear Red Day. This is to show support for fight against heart disease in women.

Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in women (and men). Breast cancer gets more press and I say it deserves whatever money we can raise for its treatment and cure but, in the meantime, we can not afford to overlook the disease that takes over 8 times as many lives as the next cause of death in women.

According to the Mayo Clinic's site, about 350,000 women are expected to die each year from heart disease. Breast cancer (#2)causes about 40,000 death annually.

A recent study shows (this is ripped straight from the AHA website):

• Although women and men have about the same overall in-hospital death rate after heart attack, women are twice as likely as men to die if hospitalized for a type of heart attack known as ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI).
• Women are also less likely to receive appropriate and timely treatment for heart attack.

The gender gap in treatment has closed in recent years but it seems there are still some disparity that, as women, we can't afford.

So, wear red on friday. Wear it for you. Wear it for your mother, your sisters, your daughters and your friends.

And that, chickies, is Jackie's PSA for the day.

Oh and Macy's has a 20% off sale in honor of the GO RED campaign

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thank you for posting this Jackie! I'll be wearing Red on Fri right along with you!

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I'll be wearing it too!!

message 4: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Thanks for the reminder on here, girls!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've got Hubby's Santa Claus red sweatshirt on today! I didn't realize the only red I've got is for summer & it's a wee bit cold for short sleeves today, lol!

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments I'm wearing a red fleece today. I also have a red dress pin which I'm going to put on when I leave the house.

message 7: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I actually remembered my red dress pin today!!!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments I actually went to put mine on and couldn't find it!

message 9: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments I wore my dansko red felt clogs...does footwear count? They are extra warm and it was 8 degrees when I first lef the house!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Cyn, any red counts!