Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Series Suggestions???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyspencer) | 60 comments Hi,

I read the Twilight series and loved it...I was trying to decide if I should start the Vampire Chronicles. Can someone recommend a good series, please!?

thanks guys!

Kel

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebowen) I love the Sookie Stackhouse series and am actually reading through it again now. If you've tried the show and didn't like it, don't let it turn you off of the books, they're nothing alike.

I'm also really enjoying the Morganville Vampire series. It's a young adult series so a bit lighter than Sookie.

And while not focused on vampires, I absolutely love the Women of the Otherworld series.

message 3: by Tia (new)

Tia (proceedcyclone) | 41 comments Angie wrote: "I love the Sookie Stackhouse series and am actually reading through it again now. If you've tried the show and didn't like it, don't let it turn you off of the books, they're nothing alike...."

How do they vary exactly? I watched the show, but I wasn't exactly wowed by it, though given a few changes, it might have potential, so I'm curious.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebowen) There's a lot less sex in the books, vampire blood as a drug isn't focused on heavily as a plotline, the show really plays up the cheese factor where I think the books are more funny in places than cheesy.

The show is basically very loosely based on the books. IE, set in the south, vampires now have rights, the mystery of who's killing the girls (for the first book).

I think the shows are okay in a cheesy sort of way, but I think that Alan Ball is doing a great disservice to the book series with it.

message 5: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments I think the show is great fun. It captures the nature of the books and is fun to watch even if you've read the books. People have to remember film is an art form unto itself, not just a recording device. I totally agree with the show making parts cheesy that were just plain amusing in the book.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathanadams) | 634 comments Does the series have to be about vampires? Because the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is pretty awesome. It's about the Napoleonic wars if the opposing armies had an air force. And if that air force meant flying dragons. And the dragons can talk. It's spectacular.

message 7: by Jenn (last edited Feb 04, 2009 10:42AM) (new)

Jenn (miss_nifer) | 15 comments The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. I haven't actually read them myself yet, but have heard countless great things about them. I can't wait to start them :D

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyspencer) | 60 comments Thanks all! I am enjoying reading your responses and no it doesn't have to be vampire series. That one just got me hooked.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 36 comments I am on Book 5 of the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, and they are amazing. It is quite a commitment though since there are 7 books and they tend to be quite long, but well worth it so far. Also, I have read a Nora Roberts Trilogy I really enjoyed called the Circle Trilogy(this one is about Vampires) and I have another Nora Roberts Trilogy in my to read called Sign of the Seven Trilogy that also looks really good. I am a huge fan of series/trilogy books, so if you come across any other good ones, let me know!

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (miss_nifer) | 15 comments Nora Roberts has some great trilogies! :) The Sign of the Seven trilogy was pretty good. If you haven't already though, you HAVE to read the Key trilogy by Roberts. Definitely in my 'favorite books of all time' category :D

Natalie wrote: "I am on Book 5 of the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, and they are amazing. It is quite a commitment though since there are 7 books and they tend to be quite long, but well worth it so far. Also..."

message 11: by Dini (new)

Dini Those of you who've read Nora Roberts trilogies -- anyone familiar with the Three Sisters Island trilogy? I've read the first one but haven't checked out the rest. Alas, even the title escapes me right now. I think it's Dance Upon the Air or something.

message 12: by Christie (new)

Christie Patricia Briggs, Mercedes Thompson books are great!! If you like shape changing mechanics, vampires, warewolves, etc. Really enjoyable series.

message 13: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (miss_nifer) | 15 comments No, I haven't read that trilogy yet! Hmm..just looked it up and it sounds interesting. And it's gotten pretty good reviews.

I'm lucky in that my mom is a Nora Roberts fanatic, and basically has every book she's ever written laying around her house. I'll have to go pick these out of the pile :)

Dini wrote: "Those of you who've read Nora Roberts trilogies -- anyone familiar with the Three Sisters Island trilogy? I've read the first one but haven't checked out the rest. Alas, even the title escapes me r..."

message 14: by Natalie (last edited Feb 05, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

Natalie | 36 comments Also the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton is really good, I have read the first 3 and I think it has something like 14 books right now. Laurel Hamilton also has another series Call Merideth something...not sure of the name or the premise but I like her writing. So Kelly, I have the first three if you want to borrow them!

message 15: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Celander | 13 comments Depending on your tastes:

1) Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth Series.
2) Lincoln/Childs, Agent Pendergast series.
3) The complete Stephen Keng collection. All of the stories are hooked together and hooked into his Dark Tower series. Look for all of the connections in each book, very interesting and fun.
4) Neveda Barr, Her National Park murder mystries are good and all interconnected. Quick easy reads that great for relaxing by the pool or beach.
5) Steve Berry, Cotton Malone Adventures series.
6) Clive Cussler, Dirk Pitt adventure stories. Makes James Bond look like a wimp.
7) Aragon series by Paolini. Youth oriented but still awesome to think he started writing the stories at 19 yrs old.

If you you like classic SciFi - Dune (Herbert), Foundation series (Asimov), Ringword series by Larry Niven.

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I just got hooked on the Outlander trilogy by Diana Gabaldon. The characters are just so wonderful and real- I think you'll like it since I loved the Twilight series myself. It's got romance but without being too in your face with the sexuality. Give it a try if you're interested.

message 17: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo I second Bitten and the rest of the Women of the Otherworld series. Also the Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series...it really is as good as the reviews lead you to believe.

You may also enjoy Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series or Kim Harrison's Hollows series.

message 18: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I love the Inkheart series, the Harry Potter series and the Gossip Girl series. Usually I can't get into
"adult" series

message 19: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments I love the Joan Hess Maggody series...if you have ever lived in a small town it's a HOOT! Also the Janet Evanavich series is good, I love Nero Wolfe...a classic murder mystery series, my latest series I listen to is Biggie and the...it's about a small town (pattern emerging) a grandmother and her grandson in the South. VERY CUTE...and of course, there is always a dead body!

message 20: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurie0303) | 60 comments A non-Vampire series that I like is the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. It is a bit far-fetched as the books all deal with female spies in the late 1800's and their adventures in saving England while also finding their true loves, but it entertains me nevertheless!

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy LuAnn Rice the series doesn't really have a name but Sand Castles is the first.

message 22: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments Dini, I loved the Three Sisters Island Trilogy. I have never read a solo Nora Roberts book but I have totally loved the trilogies I've read. The Gallaghers of Ardmore (I think that's what they're called) were my favorites-I'm going to mess up the titles but they're something like Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon and I forget the third. I also really liked the "Born In" trilogy which is also set in Ireland but without the magical component. I read the first two of the Circle Trilogy too but haven't started the third.

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments For Fantasy YA series, I would recommend

The Abhorsen Series by Garth Nix
The Queen's Thief Series by Meghan Whalen Turner
Phillip Pullman's trilogy starting with The Golden Compass

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments Oh, this isn't a series, but if you like Twilight you will probably like "Blood and Chocolate."

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I am almost finished with the Sookie Stackhouse series and I am totally into it. I would recommend it. If you want something less otherworldly, try the Alphabet Series by Sue Grafton, also a strong female lead character (a private investigator) or the NUMBERS series by Janet Evanovich (female bounty hunter). I refused to read series novels until I was admitted to the hospital for a lengthy stay and my mom-in-law brought A thru F...I had to finish the rest of them (so far) because they really lifted my spirits during a really really awful time. Same thing for Stephanie Plum (Evanovich). They're wacky, they're not classic literature, but everyone needs some light entertainment once in a while.

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) JUST FINISHED PLUM LUCKY AND STARTED FEERLESS FOURTEEN LAST NIGHT . I LOVE THEM, THEY ARE SO LIGHT AND FLUFFY QUICK READS BUT ALWAYS A GOOD STORY AND MAKE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD. SO IF I LIKE PLUM ILL LIKE THE SOOKIE AND ALPHABET SERIES? I WILL PUT THEM ON MY TBR LIST THANKS.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I hope you do. I always use them as a pick-me-up. The Alphabet series is a little more focused on the mysteries, but the heroine Kinsey Millhone always does things that make me laugh. I think the quality of the writing is better there than with the Plum books. Probably more than the Sookies too. I'm all caught up (I read them like crazy!) and have to wait until later this year for U to come out... :( Have fun and let me know what you think. Wouldn't want to recommend books that people end up hating! Haha

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) WELL I JUST ORDERED A COMBO BOOK OF ABC FROM A TRADING SITE I USE. SO THIS WAY IF I DO HATE IT IT ONLY COST ME SHIPPING. THANKS ILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK.

message 29: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments If you like Plum, you will love Joan Hess's Maggody series.

message 30: by Becca (last edited Feb 14, 2009 07:51AM) (new)

Becca I have read a couple of series that I have really enjoyed.

1. Harry Dresden by Jim Butcher - Sci/Fi - A rouge wizard who struggles to keep Chicago safe from faeries, demons, necromancers, witches, vampires, and bad people.
2. Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray - YA - Girls at a boarding school learn of a secret magical society and dimension. Terrible things happen throughout the entire series.
3. The Luxe series by Anna Godberson - YA - Early 20 century drama about upper class young women and the secrets and schemes they use to get what they want.
4. Eragon by Christopher Paolini - flying dragons, magic, kinda like a Lord of the Rings, meets Harry Potter, meets Sword in the Stone

There are a couple more I could suggest just let me know if you'd like them.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

If your in the Aurthian books you MIGHT like The Squire Tales by Gerald Morris.

message 32: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments Some of my very favorites:

Sigrid Undset (Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy)
Robertson Davies (Cornish, Deptford, and Salterton Trilogies)
Naguib Mahfouz (Cairo Trilogy)
Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials Trilogy)
Joan Aiken (Wolves Chronicles)

message 33: by Persephone (new)

Persephone | 146 comments Natalie wrote: "I am on Book 5 of the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, and they are amazing. It is quite a commitment though since there are 7 books and they tend to be quite long, but well worth it so far. Also..."

Yes, absolutely The Dark Tower serie is great:) I really enjoyed all 7 books and the shock with the end.. Really recomend it.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelehm) Natalie wrote: "I am on Book 5 of the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, and they are amazing. It is quite a commitment though since there are 7 books and they tend to be quite long, but well worth it so far. Also..."

My husband really liked the dark tower series.

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyspencer) | 60 comments I'm reading the Sookie Stackhouse series and it seems to be a very guilty pleasure! Fun series to zip right through. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyspencer) | 60 comments Oh, I'm drawn to the vampire books right now....never thought I would be! I tried to get away but they pulled right back. Creepy, I know! :)

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda (Coisa_Linda) | 1 comments How about "Mists of Avalon"?
It has 4 books!
I'm reading the last one now...
A classic!

message 38: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrans) | 73 comments I love the Firekeeper Saga (Starts with Through Wolf's Eyes) and highly recommend it.

message 39: by Connie (new)

Connie Jeff wrote: "Depending on your tastes:

1) Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth Series.
2) Lincoln/Childs, Agent Pendergast series.
3) The complete Stephen Keng collection. All of the stories are hooked together and ..."

Jeff - I'm definitely with you on the Lincoln/Child Pendergast, Dirk Pitt, and Aragon series. Haven't tried the others but with similar tastes, I bet I'll like them. Currently working my way through the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. (not sure how men would like this, but ladies - definitely give this one a shot). I am also a fan of Twilight and Stackhouse books.

message 40: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Mists of Avalon is great to listen to...a great reader!

message 41: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
I'm always happy to see when Janet Evanovich releases a new title in her numbered series, starting with One for the Money.

The main character is an unlikely, but lovable bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey. Lots of action, some mystery and romance.

These books are easy reads (along the difficulty/ literary rating of the Sookie Stackhouse series. ) I admire Janet's writing because it's punchy, quick and fun. You can suspend disbelief and the fact that you may be rotting your brain cells (as I feel when reading some "chick lit") seems to be held at bay by all the action.

Fortunately, because the series has been around awhile, you can pick up old paperbacks for cheap at used stores, or even for cheap at Target. Also, if you like them, the series is pretty prolific at this point, so you have your reading lined up for you for at least a bit.

Cheers.

message 42: by Damien (new)

Damien Cavascos (damious1264) | 1 comments I have just read The Legend of Drenea: The refuge of Alta by Brandon Payan, my flat mate found it at the market under a clearance isle. It was great you can find it on Amazon. I heard there is a sequel coming up.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

The Sweet Seasons series. Its a Christian book series... I currently just finished reading it. I defintely recommend it.

message 44: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 26 comments I have read a lot of these series on here, but I also wanted to add in:

SERIES WITH SHAPESHIFTING AND VAMPIRES:

- Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole (lots of vampires, shapeshifters, demons, etc.)

- The Carpathian series by Christine Feehan (carpathians have many different abilities)

JUST GOOD SERIES:

- The Immortals series by Tamora Pierce (or any of her other series, they are all interesting)

- His Dark Materials by Phillup Pullman (three books)

message 45: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (calibaby27) umm hmm well of course Twilight saga is AMAZING but i have to say the Series of unfortunate advents is OK its kinda the same thing over and over again but u have to wait till i think the 4th book to judge

message 46: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Everyone has been picking up on the vampire theme it seems like. You mentioned the Vampire Chronicles, and honestly, those are the vampire books I've liked the best. Queen of the Damned (book three) gets a little slow and convoluted (never a good mix), but the others are great.

In terms of other series books you might be looking to read, His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman's trilogy) were good; the Thursday Next books starting with 'The Eyre Affair' by Jasper Fforde are fantastic, and he's got another color based series starting soon. Those are heavily based in the literary world, and that's not an understatement, but still wonderfully funny.

I'm reading a book right now by Frank Delaney called 'Ireland: A Novel,' and while not part of a series, he does have two other books based on the Emerald Isle that probably share a few common themes, but I don't think they share characters.

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments I'm on book 3, Voyager, of the 6-book Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and am loving it. She is coming out with a 7th next fall. Each book is 800-1000 pages long, but they're worth it.

Other series, some ongoing, that I have loved are the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris, the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King (a new one coming out in April), and the Adelia Aguilar series by Ariana Franklin. One of the things that these four series I've mentioned have in common is a strong, adventurous female character who interacts with men on an equal footing, even in the time settings where it isn't allowed. Of course, there are strong male characters present, too, who aren't threatened by a strong woman.

message 48: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 345 comments Vampire series
-The Blue Bloods novels by Melissa De La Cruz are really good, i just finished the second one yesterday.
-The House of Night books by P.C. Cast
-Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead

Non-Vampire
-The Luxe by Anna Godbersen.

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (STigard) 1. Robert Silverberg's Lord Valentine/Majipoor Chronicles (some are part of a series and others are about related characters on the same planet)
2. Joan D Vinge's books about planet Tiamat; The Summer Queen, The Winter Queen, World's End, Dreamfall, Psion - summer/winter are connected (and excellent if you only want to read 2) the rest are related characters on the same planet
3. Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Trilogy
4. Anything by Heinlein - World of Myth series was my favorite but the Future History series is also quite good
5. Anne Rice's Vampire series as well as the somewhat related MayFair Witches and Blackwood Farm

message 50: by Cinnamon (new)

Cinnamon (cinnleigh) | 13 comments Caterry wrote: "Patricia Briggs, Mercedes Thompson books are great!! If you like shape changing mechanics, vampires, warewolves, etc. Really enjoyable series."

I'd have to agree here. I just finished the first three and they were fantastic! To me, the best part was the scenery and the down to earth character that is Mercedes Thompson. I loved the fact that there was a book (or series) based in the area that I live as well!

« previous 1 3