Christian Readers discussion

Christian Books on Politics w/an Impartial Viewpoint

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana Renee (last edited Sep 11, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

Dana Renee | 2 comments =) Hi All,

Does that even make sense? LOL - I'm looking for a book about politics that takes a look at all sides w/little or (preferably) no bias. For the past several years, I've been really fed up with our two main parties - mainly the lying about eachother or making extreme exaggerations for the sake of making their own party look better (don't even get me started on FOX news). Now, I get called a liberal by some because I don't side w/republicans on everything, although I consider myself to be very in the middle. I'd like to read something from a Christian viewpoint that may relate to how I'm feeling.

message 2: by K (new)

K | 16 comments I don't have a book to suggest but I get how you are feeling. I became a libertarian because I felt it was the only truly Christian political perspective based off of, IIRC, I Samuel 18. Governments are not for the people of God, therefore, I want as small of government as possible to allow me to follow God as freely as possible. This may mean I have to respect others' views that disagree with mine but it opens up an opportunity to respect me, as well.

message 3: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Paisley | 7 comments I think the best recommendation is the original Book. The Bible itself has (obviously) a Christian viewpoint without the (agenda-driven) bias that you mention. Take the time to read the New Testament in as big a bite as you have time. By that I mean--read the entire Book of Matthew in one sitting--it's easier than you would think. Try reading Romans in an afternoon. I believe that if you take the time to read God's word directly, patiently, and repeatedly, you will be able to gain the insight that you are seeking.

message 4: by Emily (last edited Sep 16, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

Emily (etomko) | 52 comments I like what Gordon had to say. God's word will speak both generally and specifically on this subject. I used to be a HUGE political junkie, went to demonstrations and rallies, read all the books, talk radio, etc. Then, God kept bringing me back to Daniel chapter 10 and also Ephesians 6:12, showing me that it is the powers behind the politics (and the media) that rule - the political is just a manifestation of what's happening in the spirit realm.

P.S. We are hosting prayer meetings for the nation every Sunday in our home for an hour; first one was last week. We were amazed how God led us to pray for leadership. I blogged about this, but will share just a thought from it: Several of us were convicted of bitterness towards the current administration, and were reminded that we are Obama’s and Romney’s priests (1 Peter 2:9). That we are to pray for them, and that God desires to see them both in fellowship and true knowledge of Him.

Didn't mean to be so verbose...Blessings! And the rest of the blog is here if interested: http://wieldinghisword.blogspot.com/

message 5: by Dana Renee (last edited Sep 17, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Dana Renee | 2 comments Thank you everyone for your thoughts & advice! I really appreciate it! =)

message 6: by TheKeyAuthor (new)

TheKeyAuthor TheKeyAuthor | 19 comments The Key? is political and carries a strong Christian message. The only religious item on the book covers is the Chi-Rho symbol, the Christogram. It is there for a reason. The eBooks are currently free to download.

The political scene discussed is the UK one, but it applies to most "Western democracies."

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 161 comments Emily wrote: "I like what Gordon had to say. God's word will speak both generally and specifically on this subject. I used to be a HUGE political junkie, went to demonstrations and rallies, read all the books, t..."I'm grateful for you and your group praying for the candidates and our nation. Too many people pray against the president. Can't help wondering if God hears such prayer.