Young Adult Contemporary Romance discussion

❤ CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE 101 > What is Contemporary Romance?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:25AM) (new)

Gisbelle description

If you are familiar with romance novels, understanding contemporary romance is not difficult since it is a sub-genre of romance novels.

This sub-genre reflects modern day society; therefore, it is realistic and focusing on issues that occur during everyday lives.

message 2: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 43 comments When contemporary romance is YA authors need to reflect what are the issues that matter to teen readers- much as it's great to talk about politics and the price of gas- romances for teens need to focus on the real problems they deal with- struggles at home, school, friends, sex, fitting in, addiction, stuff like that.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) Good points J.K.

message 4: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 43 comments Thanks, Vicki :)

message 5: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Thanks for your explanation J.K. I know that politics and economics are important, but I don't think I want to read about them :)

message 6: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 43 comments Exactly, Gisbelle! Those things are just not as important when your parents are divorcing and dragging you in the middle of it or your friend has checked into rehab- not to be dramatic, but that's real life whereas a lot of stuff on the news seems so phony

message 7: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle So true :) Realistic novels really can help during those hard time.

message 8: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 43 comments Great point, Gisbelle! When I was a teen, books like that really helped me a lot and that's why - no matter what genre I'm writing- there will always be real issues that matter to teens as a major part of my stories. It may be a romance or a suspense, but there are always deeper issues involved than getting the girl or uncovering the bad guy.

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle I love reading about real life issues that we can relate too.

I cannot wait to read your book :) It looks and sounds amazing.

message 10: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 43 comments Oh wow! Thanks so much, Gisbelle :) You just got my year off to an awesome start! And it's been so nice chatting with you. We should start other discussion threads. This was fun.

message 11: by Gisbelle (last edited Jan 01, 2013 04:07PM) (new)

Gisbelle Of course :) And you are welcome.

message 12: by Jaseii (new)

Jaseii (unscripted) | 4 comments I found myself wondering the politically correct definition and stumbled upon this clarification. Thank you!