Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) Bitterblue discussion

Saf's and BB's 'romance' weakened the book - Spoiler

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy Huynh As one of the main threads of the story I felt Saf's character really spoilled the quality of this novel. It's not becaue I wanted a happy ever after ending, I do appreciate a little reality and cynicism thrown in. It's that I cannot stomach the mistreatment of Bitterblue. She fussed and stressed over a romance that was barely there with Saf and in return he was rude and childish. I didn't like that he was insensitive to her position and the burden that comes with it. Every point of the way BB had to make sure Saf wouldn't be caught for stealing the crown while he just wanted to humiliate her. She kept begging for forgiveness almost to the end of the book. He on the other hand displayed little concern about her safety when she was attacked and was healing from a broken arm. I can see that the author didn't want to write a typicial love story with some generic noble reluctant hero but all I got from Saf was a careless child. Poor BB! I would've been more satisfied if along the way she recognised that this was an immature love that most people experience and that she deserved better. Does anyone else feel the same?

Kathy Huynh I'm not a fan of Saf either. I feel like BB has been cooped up in the castle for so long that she went for the first guy she met on her first social encounter in the outside world. BB came off very young and foggy compared to the two previous heroines in the other novels. Her love story was the least desirable and reeked of naivety.

Rashika (is tired) Kathy wrote: "As one of the main threads of the story I felt Saf's character really spoilled the quality of this novel. It's not becaue I wanted a happy ever after ending, I do appreciate a little reality and cy..."

you know Saf didnt actually steal the Crown, he acted like he did. But i agree i liked the ending but then i thought that Bitterblue deserved a Happy ending, she has been through more hell then either fire or katsa. Fire may have had a horrible father but at least he loved her and cared for her, at least he wasnt trying to cut her up or do other weird things to her. :/

Kathy Huynh Rashika, I didn't realise that Saf did not steal the crown... At what point in the story was I meant to come to that understanding? So did Fox steal the crown and Saf didn't care and played along with being accused?

Janet Flora Corso I like Saf, and I think their relationship is realistic. He explains how it changed when he found out who she was, and really, she lied a lot, so there's that to deal with. I also don't think it is over (*fingers crossed for Book 4*).
And: he did steal it.

Janet Flora Corso Kathy wrote: "I'm not a fan of Saf either. I feel like BB has been cooped up in the castle for so long that she went for the first guy she met on her first social encounter in the outside world. BB came off very..."

I can agree with this partly. She is naive, and slightly sheltered; she's still young and makes mistakes, like in many young romances. How many people do everything right in love? I think Cashore shows teen romances realistically. They break up and get back together a lot.

Kathy Huynh I agree that Cashore opted for a more realistic approach and I never expected a happilyever after ending as BB is still quite young. Only towards the end did we start to see her really grow into her queen shoes. It's just that with the many list of of problems she was facing, Saf did nothing but drag her down. I just itched for the heroine to have more of a solid rock to lean on. She deserved a better teen romance experience is what I'm saying. Lasting or not.

Rashika (is tired) Kathy wrote: "Rashika, I didn't realise that Saf did not steal the crown... At what point in the story was I meant to come to that understanding? So did Fox steal the crown and Saf didn't care and played along w..."

Oh it happened right at the end. When she was thinking about the crown and asked someone to check and she said that he stole the fake crown and sold the fake crown to the black market, so if he were to come back he wouldnt be charged.

Rashika (is tired) Kathy wrote: "I agree that Cashore opted for a more realistic approach and I never expected a happilyever after ending as BB is still quite young. Only towards the end did we start to see her really grow into he..."
Ha good point, thats why i dont really care much about their relationship i knew it wasnt like a true love kinda thing, although i was sad when he decided to leave.

Rashika (is tired) "And Saf could leave Monsea with his name cleared. For Bitterblue wasn't certain whether giving a fake crown to black-market lords, stealing it back, then throwing it into the river was a crime or not, but it didn't seem
like much of one. And at least it wasn't treason. Saf could come back someday, and he would never hang."

Kathy Huynh Rashika, Saf did steal the real crown. That excerpt you posted above was BB's method of covering traces of Saf's involvement in the theft. Read it again. It is her way of making sure if he were caught, the public would conclude he stole the fake crown so he wouldn't hang for treason.

Kathy Huynh So it was a clever cover up.

Samantha The Escapist Rashika wrote: ""And Saf could leave Monsea with his name cleared. For Bitterblue wasn't certain whether giving a fake crown to black-market lords, stealing it back, then throwing it into the river was a crime or ..."

Yes but this was all the set up, when they were getting the real crown back.

You might have missed it because Bitterblue didn't expressly state her idea in the narrative, she just said she had an idea and needed her friends. Later though when they reported back they explained.

She sent her friends out to retrieve the real crown that Saf had been seen throwing in the water (and he was currently in hiding for that purpos). They left the fake crown much closer to shore than the real crown had been and made a big show of fishing it out the next day and showing off that it was a fake to support the statement issued by Bitterblue herself saying that the real crown was safe on its pillow.

He definitely did steal the crown and then try to steal it back, he was going to lose it to Spook's men so he threw it in the river to keep Bitterblue safe and not involve Giddon (who was nearby). It was just that Bitterblue played it off as being the fake crown she'd had made much earlier in the novel.

Saf having stolen a fake crown in the first place would raise so many questions; like where it was all the time that Bitterblue had a fake crown in her rooms or why he'd have pretended all the time to the extent of sneaking around to make it seem like he was trying to steal it back.

Holdsherbreath Am I the only one who thought Saf and Bitterblue's realationship was absolutely charming. It was her first forbidden (kinda) romance, the reverse Cinderella story, which never turns out well. I thought their relationship was very realistic, she was a queen, she couldn't just marry (or date really) any riffraff, which Saf was. At least her first was with someone who she chose and not for duty. It think we were all used to the HEAs that Cashore had given us in the first two books. Personally I don't want another book, Cashore has never pulled any punches with her characters. She maims them and she breaks their hearts, but she never lies aobut who they are. Bitterblue cared too much about her kingdom to give it up for one guy, even if he was pretty special. I like having the thought of them eventually getting back together instead of her telling us what we all pretty much knew, Prince Charming can marry the scullery maid but the queen could never marry the pool boy. I don't know, maybe I thought about this too much, it's just that seeing this discussion thread helped clarify why I didn't like this book as much as Graceling and Fire and yet still thought this was her best book. I guess it was because Katsa and Fire were so obviously fantastically fantasy while Bitterblue was every unsure girl trying to figure out her place in the world and if she fit in the one she was given. She wasn't the fantasy she was the reality.

Samantha The Escapist Holdsherbreath wrote: "I guess it was because Katsa and Fire were so obviously fantastically fantasy while Bitterblue was every unsure girl trying to figure out her place in the world and if she fit in the one she was given. She wasn't the fantasy she was the reality. "

That's been Bitterblue the character's appeal to me since Graceling in fact.

She is so steadfast, shrewd and frank. I love her. In fact I was enamored with her character when we first met her (and I usually hate kids in books). I was so pleased that Cashore had decided to give us a book about her.

And I love that the book is written the same way. Have you noticed that? How the books reflect their protagonists in their tone?
Graceling is quick, emotionally charged and sometimes befuddled.
Fire is beautiful, elegant, emotional yet distant and remote.
Bitterblue is frank and complicated and so very honest with itself.

I can understand why so many fans have resisted Bitterblue to a certain extent but I think a really good answer for them would be this blog post written by Kristen Cashore herself http://kristincashore.blogspot.ca/201... she isn't talking about Bitterblue (as she mentions at the end) but it's still the right answer.

message 16: by Joanna (last edited Dec 09, 2012 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanna Well the whole book I was longing for Saf's and Bitterblue's romance to strength. It was a let down when it didn't. That aspect could have been done a lot better. Still one of my favourite books though and I still love Saf.

Amanda Joanna wrote: "Well the whole book I was longing for Saf's and Bitterblue's romance to strength. It was a let down when it didn't. That aspect could have been done a lot better. Still one of my favourite books th..."

Agreed.