SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R6: Team #11 ~ Book Warriors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 293 (293 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Oct 13, 2012 08:06AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Team #11
Co-Captains: Thenia

Members:
Thenia
Miss
Jessica
Heather
Wendy
Ezinwanyi

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Virtual BINGO Card
Shelf names listed are to be filled in top to bottom under each letter listed

B
1. young-adult-paranormal
2. dragons
3. *First-in-series
4. shifters
5. urban-fantasy
I
6. *Reader's Choice
7. dark-fantasy
8. *Favorite Author
9. demons
10. 2012
N
11. *Series Catch-Up
12. Goodreads-author
N#. FREE SPACE
13. *New2You: author
14. magic
G
15. psychic
16. vampires
17. paranormal-romance
18. favorite-series
19. male-lead
O
20. sci-fi-romance
21. ghosts
22. paranormal-fantasy
23. kick-ass-heroine
24. angels

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Nov 23, 2012 12:22AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments ...

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments ...

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 132 comments Hi all! I'm Heather, I'm from Maine and this is my third round of BINGO. ^.^ I'm not usually very good at coming up with names but 11 shouldn't be too hard to come up with something for.

So how about you guys? Where are you from and are you new to BINGO or an old hat at it?

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Hi everyone. I am in Florida. This will be my first time playing Bingo but I am excited to give it a try. I have read the threads to try to figure it out but I hope that the veterans don't mind helping out and/or offering advice. My first question (which may be a silly one) is what is the first number (88) next to my name in the sign up thread?

76. Wendy (88) ❉ [11]

message 8: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Wendy, that was the post number where you signed up. It was just for Steph to make sure she got the right Wendy on the right team, and so you'd know you were the right Wendy if there was more than one.

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Thank you Sandra.

message 10: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Hello team!Nice to meet you all!

Following in Heather's footsteps: I'm Thenia from Greece and I've played in all BSB games but the first one (I missed the deadline) and I've been a captain for at least 3 of those. Could do it again if nobody else wants to. So, I'm an "old hat" and happy to answer any questions from the newbies.

As for names, I'm sure we'll come up with something. Start brainstorming..

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 9 comments Hey everyone! I'm Stephanie and I'm from Topeka, Ks. :) I'm so excited to get started. This is my first time but from what I've seen it's so much fun! I love to read and am an active reviewer :) Can't wait to get to know you guys!

How is "The Book Warriors" as a team name?

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 71 comments Hi everyone! Looking forward to playing Bingo with everyone (and Thenia for a second time)!

I'm from Minnesota and this will be my second round of Bingo. I had a lot of fun the first time I played (last round) and jumped at the chance to play again.

I'm with Heather that I'm not usually that good coming up with names spur of the moment (honestly, the first thing that popped into my head was "Ocean's 11" and then "Eleven Pipers Piping" from 12 Days of Christmas, so that should tell you something), but I'll get my brain thinking.

Magnificent Eleven?

Umm... back to thinking.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 132 comments Stephanie wrote: "How is "The Book Warriors" as a team name? ..."

Ooooo, I like. My mind was going in a similar direction as "Masters of the Bookverse", substituting 'Bookverse' for 'Universe'.

Lol, I'm reading Feet of Clay (Discworld, #19) by Terry Pratchett , book three in the City Watch subseries of Discworld. It's making me think like a character cheerleader or something... We'd be 'The Nobby Nobbers' or 'Captain Carrot's Crusaders' or ' Vimes' Victory'... (-_-)

Any of you read that series?

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 71 comments I'm good with Book Warriors. :D

Heather - I haven't read the series but, looking at the descriptions, I might have to add it to my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing!

message 15: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments It's good being teammates again Jessica! Miss, too! (I think we were teammates in one of the previous BSB rounds but I can't remember which.)

As for the name I was thinking something along the lines of:
Book Reading 1-o-1 or something similar with "101".

The Aces or Double Aces could be other possibilities (Snake Eyes (which is what people call double aces when throwing dice) may be something associated with 11 but it doesn't sound like much of a team name to me..).

Any of those to your liking?
Also, team captain volunteers? I seem to be the "oldest hat" in the bunch so far and since I'm familiar with everything I could do it if nobody else wants to.

message 16: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Heather wrote: "Any of you read that series? "

I've been meaning to check the series out but the number of books in it has kept me from doing so. Should I put it higher on my TBR do you think?

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 132 comments Thenia wrote: "Heather wrote: "Any of you read that series? "

I've been meaning to check the series out but the number of books in it has kept me from doing so. Should I put it higher on my TBR do you think?"

I had thought the same way, that there were so many books but what someone else pointed out to me was that it's a log series in whole but there are several sub-series within it that focus on different characters. I started with The City Watch since it has the highest ratings overall.

Also, I listen to the audiobooks of the series. The narrator is the same throughout and is really good at varying his voices so each characters is distinct and sounds consistent from book to book.

message 18: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Heather wrote: "Also, I listen to the audiobooks of the series..."

Oh that's good! I've been listening to audiobooks a lot lately and maybe I should look those up as well. Thanks for the recommendation. ;)

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 9 comments So far, I think the count is 3 for "Book Warriors". :)

And no I haven't read any of that series so far. Though I might in the future.

What exactly does the team leader do? If it's not something like, I don't know, starting my own country (lol) I wouldn't mind doing it.

message 20: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Captains do pretty lists with links so you can see whats been read, rated and reviewed, then when each shelf has been completed they request the stamp on the stamp me thread.

If someone is slacking they also get to PM them. You are the Mods go-to gal for your team. Thankfully both those are pretty rare :)

message 21: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Book Warriors sounds great to me as well.

I have started the DiscWorld series. I have read the first 6 books so far. I am anal about reading books in order and am an avid series collector. I have up to #33 in the series on my TBR bookshelf with the exception of book #15. One of these days I will get back to it. I really enjoyed the ones that I have read. Death is by far my favorite character.

As for team captain how about co-captains? Since Thenia already has the experience maybe she can team up with Stephanie and give her some guidance and they can be co-captains?

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 9 comments I like that idea Wendy! I am so excited to represent you guys if you'd let me ;)
I am the same way as for the reading series. Even if I find a copy of the 3rd book before the 2nd one. I'll wait until I find the 2nd one before continuing. Can you guys believe it's getting to be almost time to start?!! YAY!

message 23: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Stephanie wrote: "What exactly does the team leader do? If it's not something like, I don't know, starting my own country (lol) I wouldn't mind doing it. ..."

Hmmm...starting your own country could be fun...

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 9 comments LMAO

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 132 comments Does anyone know who Miss is? She(?) seems to be the only one who hasn't checked in yet and the sign-up list says she doesn't have a post number so clicking on her profile isn't possible...?

message 26: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Miss is from Romania and has played before. Steph has PMd her already :)

message 27: by Miss (new)

Miss | 259 comments Hey guys, there was some confusion, i thought i missed signups because i didn't RSVP in time, so glad Steph included me in a team though. This is my 4th time i think and it's always been so much fun! can't wait to start! :)
I like the BW name though i'm not feeling very warrior-like at the moment, lol, and Thenia, yes we played in the same team in one of the first rounds, i think it was the second, so it's great to be teammates again!

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) So I am thinking that since this thing starts soon that we should make a final decision on team name and team captain? Are we good with Book Warriors and have we decided on captain so that they can contact Steph and give her our info?

message 29: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Yeah!! Looks like we are off!!!

Shelf #1 ~ 9/16/12: 'kick-ass-heroine'

Now to figure out how to find a book and choose the book to read!

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 71 comments I'm good both with the team name and the idea of co-captains.

For my kick-ass heroine shelf, I'm going to read "The Shadow Reader."

For my Free Space shelf, I'm going to read "Blood Cross."

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermb) | 132 comments Okay, I'll be reading

kick-ass-heroine: Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

FREE SPACE: God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1) by Kate Locke

message 33: by Wendy (last edited Sep 15, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Wendy (wss4) I have chosen Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews since I have already read the first book in the series.

Not sure on Free Space. I am going to have to go to the help thread to make sure I understand how to choose that one.

message 34: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Awesome first shelf!

I'm fine with both the name (which is already on our thread anyway!The ninjas work fast!) and the co-captain idea. Stephanie, how do you want to do this? Should I go ahead and start organizing the team or do you want to take point and ask for advice when needed? Let me know. ;)

Good picks ladies, happy reading!

I'm off to browse the shelf..

message 35: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Well this works out perfectly as I just finished the book I was reading -- Rebel Ice -- which is the 6th book in the Stardoc series. I will take a bit of a break from the series and start my first book for Bingo tonight!!

message 36: by Miss (new)

Miss | 259 comments I'll be reading Gunmetal Magic for Free Space and This Side of the Grave for Kick-ass-heroine. :)

Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels World, #1) by Ilona Andrews This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

message 37: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Not sure on Free Space. I am going to have to go to the help thread to make sure I understand how ..."

So I think that I understand how free space works and it just so happens that

Magic Strikes

is available to read on the SOS bookshelves. So I will continue with this series for my Free Space read.

How is everyone else coming along with their reads?

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 9 comments Why don't you go ahead and I'll do the next book :)

Btw I'm going to do The Hunger Games for my *Kickass Herione* and I'm still thinking about my free space.

message 39: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Not sure how to go about posting when we finish our book but here goes --

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

Magic Burns
Rated 5 stars
Read from September 15 to 16, 2012

I read the first book in this series back in 2008 so I was a little concerned that it would be hard to get back into the series. Fortunately it was not. I was able to jump right in and did not feel like I had missed anything.

I love the main character, Kate. She is definitely a kick-ass heroine with a witty, quirky personality. There are plenty of other interesting characters and the story line keeps you reading. Looking forward to moving on to the next book in this series. Can not wait to see how Kate and Curran's relationship evolve.

message 40: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23887 comments Glad you loved it Wendy, definitely one of my absolutest favouritest series.

FYI, rather than linking to the book if you just want to put the cover, like most people, then go to the add book/author link just above the comment box. You'll see a spot to type in the name of the book and a check box to pick for cover or just for the name :)))

message 41: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Ok then Warriors, time to get organized!

message 42: by Thenia (last edited Oct 15, 2012 03:22AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Free Space

✔Ezinwanyi - Fated - Rebecca Zanetti - (09/16/2012) ★★★★ - Review
✔Heather - Magic Bleeds - Ilona Andrews - (09/21/2012) ★★★★★ - Review
✔Jessica - Blood Cross - Faith Hunter - (09/18/2012) ★★★★ - Review
✔Miss - Gunmetal Magic - Ilona Andrews - (10/14/2012) ★★★★ - Review
✔Thenia - Outside In - Maria V. Snyder - (09/23/2012) ★★★★ - Review
✔Wendy - Magic Strikes - Ilona Andrews - (09/22/2012) ★★★★★ - Review

Done: 6/6 ~stamp received (10/15/2012)

Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca ZanettiMagic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona AndrewsBlood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) by Faith HunterGunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels World, #1) by Ilona AndrewsOutside In (Insider, #2) by Maria V. SnyderMagic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cook (sweetheart8181) | 9 comments Ok Thenia. Is there a list to pick your free space book from?

message 44: by Thenia (last edited Oct 15, 2012 03:22AM) (new)

Thenia | 976 commentsShelf #1 ~ 9/16/12: Kick Ass Heroine

✔Ezinwanyi - You Slay Me - Katie MacAlister - (09/20/2012) ★★★ - Review
✔Heather - Destined for an Early Grave - Jeaniene Frost - (09/18/2012) ★★★ - Review
✔Jessica - The Shadow Reader - Sandy Williams - (09/30/2012) ★★★ - Review
✔Miss - This Side of the Grave - Jeaniene Frost - (09/19/2012) ★★★ - Review
✔Thenia - Born of Fire - Sherrilyn Kenyon - (09/27/2012) ★★★★ - Review
✔Wendy - Magic Burns - Ilona Andrews - (09/16/2012) ★★★★★ - Review

Done: 6/6 ~stamp received (10/15/2012)

You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlisterDestined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene FrostThe Shadow Reader (McKenzie Lewis, #1) by Sandy WilliamsThis Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene FrostMagic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews

message 45: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Way to go Wendy! You're the first to finish a book in our team for this round.

Glad you liked it. It's one of my very favorite series as well. Keep reading - it gets even better!

message 46: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Stephanie wrote: "Is there a list to pick your free space book from?"

I added a link on the Free Space post for our team to the rules for picking a book for that shelf, but I'll add it here as well along with other links you might find useful:

Free Space rules
Book Shelf BINGO: FAQ
Shelf announcements
R6 - Discussion Thread
Tips for Finding a BSB Book
All Rounds Team Challenge History
BSB Team Names

Lots of fighters on this round - Warriors, Ninjas and Assassins! It might get bloody..

message 47: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wss4) Thank you Thenia. I have been referring to a lot of those links but it is really nice to have them all in one easy to find location!

message 48: by Thenia (new)

Thenia | 976 comments Wendy wrote: "Thank you Thenia. I have been referring to a lot of those links but it is really nice to have them all in one easy to find location!"

You're very welcome Wendy! ;)
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

message 49: by Miss (new)

Miss | 259 comments I'm really enjoying my Nighthuntress book so far, can't believe it's been on my to read list for a year now, it feels good to continue with the series. Gotta read the next one too in order to get to Vlad's story, yay!

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 71 comments Way to go, Wendy! And that's a great series to start off with, though I think it's highly addictive. I had to dive right into the next book after I finished one.

Heather- I'm eager to see what you think of "Destined for an Early Grave." I really enjoyed her series up to that book then just really didn't care for that one. I've heard the series I picks up again and is better after that book, but I haven't given it a try yet. Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks for organizing, Thenia!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6