SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R6: Team #5 ~ High-Fivers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 293 (293 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Sep 16, 2012 08:41PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29102 comments Team #5
Captain: Alyssa

Members:
Diane ~Firefly~
Alyssa
Cathy
Kate
Heather
CaroB

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29102 comments Virtual BINGO Card
Shelf names listed are to be filled in top to bottom under each letter listed

B
1. *New2You: author
2. demons
3. *First-in-series
4. angels
5. young-adult-paranormal
I
6. psychic
7. paranormal-fantasy
8. dragons
9. kick-ass-heroine
10. dark-fantasy
N
11. sci-fi-romance
12. *Favorite author
N#. FREE SPACE
13. *Reader's Choice
14. *Series Catch-Up
G
15. ghosts
16. magic
17. 2012
18. male-lead
19. Goodreads-author
O
20. urban-fantasy
21. shifters
22. vampires
23. favorite-series
24. paranormal-romance

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Nov 03, 2012 03:31PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29102 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29102 comments ...

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29102 comments ...

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Woo Hoo, a new round of bingo! I'm located in Texas. I'm not so great at the naming thing, but here's a few ideas.

Ferocious Five
Fantastic Five
Five by Six
Five Voracious Readers
Number Five is Alive!
Freaky Five
Fifth Wheel

Can't wait for this new round to start!

message 7: by Lina (new)

Lina Hi Diane! I'm in Australia. I missed the last round, so really looking forward to this one! Have you played before?

I quite like Fifth Wheel from your list.

Here are some other ideas:
High Fivers
Fresh Funky Femmes
Book-deprived Five
Five Will Thrive!

Umm, that's all I can think of.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Yay, I was feeling lonely over here. Welcome CaroB! Yes, I've played 4 times previously.

message 9: by Lina (new)

Lina Oh good, so if there's anything I've forgotten you can refresh my memory. I've only played once before, for round 3 or 4, I think.

message 10: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments I'll be happy to, but the game is pretty easy. The hardest part is usually choosing a team name. Hopefully someone will want to be team captain. I'm not online enough to keep up with it.

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Hello! How is everyone? Excited to get the game started?

I'm in Illinois. This will be my fifth time playing. (I missed Round 1.) I've been a captain one time before. I don't mind doing it again, unless someone else really wants to do it. (I'm captaining another team in another game in another group.)

Anyone new to Bingo?

As for names, I'm trying to think of something witchy. Ya know, pentagrams and stars have five points.... I don't know.... That's all I've got now.

I like the suggestions, CaroB and Diane. Way more than I could come up with.

message 12: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 12, 2012 07:46PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Ok. I think I've got a couple of ideas, but they may be a little.... odd, I guess....?

I look up five on Wikipedia....

First name is...

The Elusive Quintessence
- Quintessence, meaning 'fifth element', refers to the elusive fifth element that completes the basic four elements (water, fire, air, and earth)

When you click the link for quintessence, it lead to aether, which the ancient Greeks believed was what the gods breathed and where they lived.

So another name could be....

Goddesses of the Aether
- The word αἰθήρ (aithēr) in Homeric Greek means "pure, fresh air" or "clear sky", imagined in Greek mythology to be the pure essence where the gods lived and which they breathed, analogous to the air breathed by mortals (also personified as a deity, Aether, the son of Erebus and Nyx). It is related to αἴθω "to incinerate"[2], also intransitive "to burn, to shine" (related is the name Aithiopes (Ethiopians)), meaning "people with a burnt (black) visage".

That second sentence above with things like, incinerate and burn, made me think of....

The Fiery Phoenixes

That's all I've got for now... I think I was thinking too hard...

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 460 comments Hi guys :) I'm Kate and I'm also from Australia.
I played in the last two rounds of Bingo and think I've got the hang of it now.

I'm terrible at coming up with names.

From the ones mentioned so far I really like
Fifth Wheel and
The High Fivers

The Fiery Phoenixes also appeals to me but that might just be because of the mad Harry Potter fan that lives inside me.

message 14: by Lina (new)

Lina Hi Alyssa, I'm all good for you being captain. I'm actually moderating a team game in one of my other groups, so would rather not captain for this round.

Hiya Kate :-)

My top three so far for names would be
Quintessence (without the Elusive)
Fifth Wheel and
High Fivers.

message 15: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 68 comments Hi everyone I am from California :) This is my first time participating in a group challenge, and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm good with any name :)

message 16: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments *cheers for Heather* Yay! A first-timer! We all hope you enjoy Bingo as much as we do. And feel free to ask any questions you have. We are here to help. :-D

message 17: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 13, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments *looks around* Anyone seen, Cathy?

*yells* Cathy! Come out and play! :-D

(I'm gonna try to send her a message....)

message 18: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Kate wrote: "The Fiery Phoenixes also appeals to me but that might just be because of the mad Harry Potter fan that lives inside me. "

*points at self* Another mad Harry Potter fan right here. :-)

message 19: by Lina (new)

Lina Hi Heather!

message 20: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 13, 2012 10:35PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Message to Cathy. ✔ Sent.

(I'm gonna have to nickname her 'Catchy' if she lets me. For some reason every time I try to type Cathy, I always type 'Catchy' and then have to backspace and fix it. No joke.)

message 21: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 68 comments Can I just say when I was checking my notifications and Alyssa's picture was the one showing for this thread, that I got super excited haha... I could get used that :P

Also another huge HP fan here and The Fiery Phoenixes does sound very HP'ish

message 22: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 68 comments I've also been busy making a list of books that I know I won't stick to...

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 460 comments I've been making a list of books too - but I know that I'm terrible at keeping to plans.

I have over a hundred books on my bookshelves right now that I haven't read yet...

But every day when I read good reviews on here I get the urge to go out and buy another book or dozen...

message 24: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Kate wrote: "I've been making a list of books too - but I know that I'm terrible at keeping to plans.

I have over a hundred books on my bookshelves right now that I haven't read yet...

But every day when I ..."

Only 100? I've got 598 according to goodreads and I just bought six more today as Half Price Books was having a Grand Re-opening sale.

message 25: by Lina (last edited Sep 14, 2012 04:47PM) (new)

Lina Hey Guys,

Are we all decided on Alyssa as the captain, or does anyone else want to throw in? And am I right in thinking the team name choices are between The Fiery Phoenixes, Fifth Wheel and High-Fivers?
Don't mean to be a nag, just would be great to see a name on top of the team thread :-)

message 26: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Sure, I'm fine with Alyssa being team captain and any of the names are fine with me.

message 27: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:01PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Well, still nothing from Cathy.... I'm gonna have to message one of our sneaky ninjas about it.

Looks like I'm captain. That's one item checked off our list.

So, we've got three names choices, and I'm cool with any of them, as are a couple of us.

We kind of need to pick just one. I was trying to make up some crazy combination of all three, but I can't seem to make Fifth Wheel fit in it.

I came up with The High-Fiving, Fiery Phoenixes.

Wait! I think I fit all three together.... The Fifth-Wheeling, High-Fiving, Fiery Phoenixes.... Or maybe... 5th-Wheelin', High-5in', Fiery Phoenixes as a shortened version.

I know.... I'm crazy....

message 28: by Lina (new)

Lina LOL!! You are crazy :-) That's a great thing to have in a captain!

I'll cast my vote for High-Fivers then. Sounds confident that we'll win, which I think has to be a good thing :-D

message 29: by Kate (last edited Sep 14, 2012 08:04PM) (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 460 comments Alyssa for captain - sounds good to me :)

I'll second the High-Fivers.
As much as I like all of Alyssa's fantastically crazy hybrid names... I like the simplicity of the High-Fivers. And I like the optimism and confidence about it that CaroB mentioned :)

message 30: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 138 comments Sorry I didn't check in sooner. I have played the last two rounds so I think I'm good with the rules.
High Fivers sounds good to me and I am very glad some offered to be the captain. I ended up the captain in another game just because I was the last one to say "not it" :) So thank you Alyssa!

message 31: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 15, 2012 04:59PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Hello, Cathy! We were just worried about you. Good to see that you're here.

Oh.....the "Not It" game.... So not fun..... Lol.

Off to claim myself as your fearless leader and declare that our name is the High Fivers.

Wait! Hyphen --> High-Fivers

or no Hyphen --> High Fivers

Since we need to make this decision super difficult.....

message 32: by Alyssa (last edited Oct 27, 2012 12:50AM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Bingo Chip Progress Report

Shelf #5: Series Catch-up (Personal shelf) called on 10/14/12
✔Diane ~Firefly~ - By a Thread --★★★★-- Finished 10/19/12 Post #216
✔Alyssa - Branded by Fire --★★★★★-- Finished 10/24/12 Post #228
✔Cathy - The Ugly Duchess --★★★★-- Finished 10/17/12 Post #212
✔Kate - The Darkest Passion --★★★-- Finished 10/15/12 Post #197
Heather -
✔CaroB - Lacybourne Manor --★★-- Finished 10/16/12 Post #201

Shelf #6: Demons called on 10/21/12
Diane ~Firefly~ - Demon from the Dark
Alyssa - Storm Front
✔Cathy - Sex, Lies and Vampires --★★★★-- Finished 10/22/12 Post #225
Kate - Dead Witch Walking
Heather - Borrowed Ember
CaroB - Ecstasy Unveiled or Kiss of a Demon King

Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison Borrowed Ember (Fire Spirits #3) by Samantha Young

Shelf #1: Kick-Ass Heroine called on 9/16/12
✔Diane ~Firefly~ - Treachery in Death --★★★-- Finished 9/16/12 Post #59
✔Alyssa - River Marked --★★★★★-- Finished 9/22/12 Post #94
✔Cathy - Poison Study --★★★★★-- Finished 9/21/12 Post #96
✔Kate - Frostbite --★★★★-- Finished 9/18/12 Post #65
✔Heather - Angelfall --★★★★★-- Finished 9/24/12 Post #102
✔CaroB - Poison Study --★★★★-- Finished 9/21/12 Post #97

Shelf #2: Favorite Author (Personal shelf) called on 9/23/12
✔Diane ~Firefly~ - Gunmetal Magic --★★★½-- Finished 10/3/12 Post #152
✔Alyssa - Obsidian --★★★★★-- Finished 9/25/12 Post #112
✔Cathy - Into the Dreaming --★★★-- Finished 9/29/12 Post #134
✔Kate - The Reckoning --★★★★★-- Finished 10/11/12 Post #174
✔Heather - Smokeless Fire --★★★★-- Finished 10/6/12 Post #156
✔CaroB - Creed --★★★½-- Finished 9/24/12 Post #98

Shelf #3: Urban Fantasy called on 9/30/12
✔Diane ~Firefly~ - 666 Park Avenue --★★★-- Finished 10/6/12 Post #159
✔Alyssa - Skinwalker --★★★★-- Finished 10/12/12 Post #176
✔Cathy - Second Sight --★★★★★-- Finished 10/2/12 Post #150
✔Kate - You Slay Me --★★★★-- Finished 10/2/12 Post #141
✔Heather - Scorched Skies --★★★★½-- Finished 10/12/12 Post #175
✔CaroB - Some Girls Bite --★★★★★-- Finished 10/6/12 Post #153

Free Space
✔Diane ~Firefly~ - Hard Bitten --★★★-- Finished 9/22/12 Post #80
✔Alyssa - 666 Park Avenue --★★★★-- Finished 9/30/12 Post #135
✔Cathy - Under a Vampire Moon --★★★½-- Finished 9/24/12 Post #110
✔Kate - Some Girls Bite --★★★★-- Finished 10/12/12 Post #183
✔Heather - Slumber --★★★-- Finished 9/27/12 Post #121
✔CaroB - Magic Study --★★★★-- Finished 9/27/12 Post #137

Shelf #4: Vampires called on 10/7/12
✔Diane ~Firefly~ - Drink Deep --★★★★-- Finished 10/14/12 Post #195
✔Alyssa - Whispers at Moonrise --★★★★½-- Finished 10/22/12 Post #227
✔Cathy - Sex and the Single Vampire --★★★★-- Finished 10/13/12 Post #191
✔Kate - Shadow Kiss --★★★★★-- Finished 10/22/12 Post #224
✔Heather - Moon Called --★★★★★-- Finished 10/15/12 Post #205
✔CaroB - Lover Revealed --★★★★-- Finished 10/11/12 Post #173

Books Read
Treachery in Death (In Death, #32) by J.D. Robb Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4) by Chloe Neill River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Creed (Unfinished Hero, #2) by Kristen Ashley Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Under a Vampire Moon (Argeneau, #16) by Lynsay Sands Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Slumber (The Fade, #1) by Samantha Young Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8) by Karen Marie Moning 666 Park Avenue (666 Park Avenue, #1) by Gabriella Pierce Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister Second Sight (Arcane Society, # 1) by Amanda Quick Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels World, #1) by Ilona Andrews Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits, #1) by Samantha Young 666 Park Avenue (666 Park Avenue, #1) by Gabriella Pierce Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Scorched Skies (Fire Spirits #2) by Samantha Young Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Sex and the Single Vampire (Dark Ones, #2) by Katie MacAlister Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter Lacybourne Manor (Ghosts and Reincarnation, #3) by Kristen Ashley Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) by Eloisa James By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Sex, Lies and Vampires (Dark Ones, #3) by Katie MacAlister Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4) by C.C. Hunter Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6) by Nalini Singh

message 33: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments The FIRST shelf has been announced!!!

It is Kick-Ass Heroine .

Happy Reading!!

message 34: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Alyssa wrote: "Hello, Cathy! We were just worried about you. Good to see that you're here.

Oh.....the "Not It" game.... So not fun..... Lol.

Off to claim myself as your fearless leader and declare that our nam..."

Thanks for falling on the grenade.

I don't think it matters, but most of the time when people listed it as their vote, there was a hyphen in it.

message 35: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Alyssa wrote: "The FIRST shelf has been announced!!!

It is
Kick-Ass Heroine

Happy Reading!!"

I will most likely be reading Treachery in Death (In Death, #32) by J.D. Robb

message 36: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments You would have fallen on the grenade if you knew it was full of chocolate. It's soo yummy! *licks lips*

message 37: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23896 comments All captainy details will be updated later after Steph gets through Typhoon Sanba.

message 38: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments *paces around, panicking* What am I going to read?! There are just too many kick-ass heroines!!

Ok.... If I'm like this with the first shelf..... I might get crazier later.... :-D

Oh, and ladies.... You are now free to start on your Free Space books. Make sure when you post a review that you also post which option you used to pick that book. Free Space rules are HERE.

message 39: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Aaahhh! We've been named.... I didn't even have to go do anything.... Darn ninjas must have gotten in! I thought I had this place locked up tight. *starts checking the locks on the doors and windows*

(Thanks, Sandra!) :-D

message 40: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23896 comments ;)

message 41: by Alyssa (last edited Sep 15, 2012 05:29PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Oh.... Side note.... Remember back when Heather mentioned my sexy icon picture... I picked it out for the last round of Bingo. My team was called Seven Sexy Sins. Plus, those are the guys that are in that movie called Magic Mike. I haven't seen it, but I heard delicious things from a friend.

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 460 comments Magic Mike is on my list of movies to rent when it's out on DVD.

I think I'll be reading Frostbite for my kick ass heroine book. I just started the series at the end of the last round of bingo.

message 43: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments I really liked the Vampire Academy series. Hope you enjoy Frostbite!

message 44: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments So.... Do I go with a Kick-Ass Heroine that I already know and love?
Pure (Covenant, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton

Or do I pick a new one to fall in love with?
Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Well, those are my choices. I'm currently reading something for another challenge elsewhere, so I guess I don't have to decide right this second.

message 45: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments I vote River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs , but then Mercy is one of my favorites and I've only read 2 others on your list.

message 46: by Heather (Heatso) (last edited Sep 15, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 68 comments Magic Mike is definitely a fun movie, my group got their early and had to wait outside a bit and the usher people had fun with us as we were walking in (around a whole bunch of parents waiting with screaming kids to watch Brave, I think some of the moms looked envious :P)

I can't decide between
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill

Of course neither which I own and I have a whole bunch that I do own, but where is the fun in that? (edited to add- Although I see that Some Girls Bite is now $12.99 on the kindle!! so that might have made my decision for me)

message 47: by Heather (Heatso) (new)

Heather (Heatso) (hyperweather) | 68 comments Alyssa wrote: "So.... Do I go with a Kick-Ass Heroine that I already know and love?
Pure (Pure, #1) by Julianna BaggottOne Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene FrostRiver Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia BriggsThe Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton

Or do I pick a new one t..."

I haven't read any of those yet, but there are definitely a few on my to read list

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 460 comments I loved River Marked. Mercy is one of my all time favourite heroines.

Angelfall and Some Girls Bite are both on my to-read list. So many books... so little time...

message 49: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments I liked Some Girls Bite and will probably read book 4 - Hard Bitten for the Free Space.

message 50: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments Aahh!!! Some Girls Bite!!!! I LOVE that series!! Merit is definitely kick-ass. Book 7 is out in February, and I can't wait!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6