Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's August 2012 Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I got 15 books in for the month after starting out rather slowly. A little later than usual with my post since I was visiting my folks in KY last week!

In a Witch's Wardrobe by Juliet Blackwell In a Witch's Wardrobe by Juliet Blackwell: 4th in her Witchcraft mystery series and the best, so far. I didn't care for the first in this series, but I'm glad I stuck with them. The ending set book #5 up to be great! Grade: 8.5

The Azalea Assault by Alyse Carlson The Azalea Assault by Alyse Carlson: 1st in new series a total snooze fest. Don't know why I picked this up in the first place since I have absolutely zero interest in gardening. Grade: 3

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) by Jodi Meadows Incarnate by Jodi Meadows: boring YA fantasy. Good concept, poorly executed. Grade: 4

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill: 1st in Chicagoland Vampires series and I don't know how it flew under my radar for so long! Great story and even better characters! Grade: 8.5

Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray (Death and Taxes #3) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray by Diane Kelly: 3rd in Death & Taxes series and another good outing. This series gets better as it goes and this one dealt with something I enjoy...a shady "preacher" getting taken down. Grade: 8.5

Blood Bath & Beyond by Michelle Rowen Blood Bath & Beyond by Michelle Rowen: 1st in new series that's based on characters from a "chick lit" series the author wrote. Vampires & Vegas..a good combination! Grade: 7

Fracture (Fracture, #1) by Megan Miranda Fracture by Megan Miranda: another less than mediocre YA. Girl falls through ice, should have never recovered, but did and then has "weird powers". Boring! Grade: 4.5

Beef Stolen-Off by Liz Lipperman Beef Stolen-Off by Liz Lipperman: 2nd in Clueless Cook series and much better than the 1st one. Bad goings on and rustling in the Texas cattle business. Grade: 7.5

Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill: 2nd Chicagoland Vampires and even better than the first one! Grade: 9

Hide and Snoop ( An Odelia Grey mystery #7) by Sue Ann Jaffarian Hide and Snoop by Sue Ann Jaffarian: 7th Odelia Gray book and one of the best. The law firm Odelia works for has merged with another and things are getting nasty around the office, especially after her new boss drops off her niece with her and leaves for the weekend! When the boss' sister ends up dead at the boss' house Odelia gets involved. Grade: 8.5

Above by Leah Bobet Above by Leah Bobet: another YA bust. Pretty cover, though. Grade: 3

Bruja Brouhaha by Rochelle Staab: 2nd in Mind for Murder series and better than the first one. This one deals with Santeria. Grade: 8.5

Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30) by J.D. Robb Fantasy in Death b J.D. Robb: 30th in In Death series. I think I just about burned myself out on these last year. Not a bad read, not a really good one either. Grade: 5

Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill: 3rd Chicagoland Vampires book and as good as the first 2. In this one the shapeshifters come to Chicago for a confab. Grade: 8.5

The Hangman (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Novella) by Louise Penny The Hangman by Louise Penny: a Gamache novella that I got for my Kindle. As always, a great read! Grade: 9

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Good month, Mel. Did you get any of that hurricane rain while you were in Kentucky? Also, how do you like your new quarterback?

message 3: by Melodie (last edited Sep 10, 2012 07:39AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments We did get some of the residual Isaac rain. Has been so dry here in CO, I'd almost forgotten what rain looked like, plus the fact that I just love a good old KY/OH rainstorm! As for the quarterback, never thought I'd be cheering for the Broncos, but I loved the game last night!! I've always liked Peyton Manning, and it's nice to have him here....and no more Tebow!! LOL

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Melodie:
We love Peyton here in TN, and are glad you have him if we couldn't. He is a terrific person.
I found the Literacy story behind The Hangman interesting. http://www.louisepenny.com/literacy.htm
written as part of a programme called GoodReads Canada, which was created by national literacy organizations to publish books aimed at emerging adult readers. So, THE HANGMAN is written at a grade 3 level, for adults. Very clear, very simple. Not really the most complex plot or style, for obvious reasons.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
We love Peyton here in TN, and are glad you have him if we couldn't. He is a terrific person.
I found the Literacy story behind The Hangman interesting. http://www.louisepenny.com/literac..."

That "story behind the story" thing was what piqued my interest, so I downloaded it. As you said, very simple, but still a good read! Louise Penny never disappoints and I hope to get caught up with her books by the end of the year!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:47AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8060 comments Melodie wrote: "As for the quarterback, never thought I'd be cheering for the Broncos, but I loved the game last night!! I've always liked Peyton Manning, and it's nice to have him here....and no more Tebow!! LOL ..."

Uh-oh, the world is turning upside down! Mel cheering for the Broncos!
I have to admit that I watched the game and was cheering too. I always liked Peyton, and am rooting for him to do well in Denver (until he gets to the AFC championships with the Patriots, that is, LOL). He looked pretty durned good. I don't dislike Tebow as much as some and hate all the drama that people bring to his story. If he's any good, let him play, if he isn't let him fade to the background like most backup QBs.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I thought something similar, Carol! Peyton completely transformed Indianapolis when he was drafted there years ago. Denver didn't need transforming like Indy did pre-Payton, but he will definitely pump some lift into the Bronco's games!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Uh-oh, the world is turning upside down! Mel cheering for the Broncos!"