Young People Writing discussion

Reading > Who's your favourite author?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ (rockclimbingirl) | 116 comments Mod
My favourite all time author is quite cliche, but it's J.K. Rowling. The world she created in her books is the most magical place imaginable. I love the story behind her success and what she does for the people around her.

My other favourite authors are:
Kelley Armstrong
Jane Austen
Kendare Blake
Charlotte Bronte
Emily Bronte
Elizabeth Chandler
Cassandra Clare
Suzzane Collins
Alexandre Dumas
Gayle Forman
Jenny Han
Maureen Johnson
Lauren Kate
Marie Lu
Marissa Meyer
Stephanie Meyer (While I don't like Bella as a character, I must admit, I was a fan of the books. Definitely not the movies.)
Erin Morgenstern
James Patterson
Beth Revis
Veronica Roth
Ruta Sepetys
L.J. Smith
Kiersten White
Moria Young
Michelle Zink

I know that's a huge ass list, but I love each of them. They're all amazing authors and they all seem so caring about their fans. If you haven't read their books, I strongly suggest you do!

message 2: by JazzyCat (new)

JazzyCat (dayandnightgirl) Woah, long list! @.@

My favorites are Laurie Halse Anderson and Shel Silverstein. :3

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (zomltrow) | 63 comments I like Jessica Day George and Wendelin Van Draanen.... and Cinda Williams Chima.....aaannnnnddd.....jk rowling......and Lisa Mangum......and much more but....i can't think of them at this point and time ;)

message 4: by Ivy (last edited Sep 15, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Ivy (iwanttocrawlintobookslivethere) | 24 comments Well... My very most favoritesesest (no it isn't a word but I'm using it anyways)is....Edgar Allen Poe and John Green...
Some Others:
Emily Dickinson
J.K Rowling
Richelle Mead
Lauren Oliver
Jane Austen
Shel Silverstein
Alyson Noel
Scott Westerfield
Rick Riordan
Stephanie Myers (kind of like what Mist said but I also really liked The Host)
Suzanne Collins
Eva Ibbotson
Sarah Dessen
Veronica Roth
Simone Elkeles
Nicholas Sparks
Ally Carter
Cassandra Clare
Emily Bronte
Susane Colasanti
Jay Asher
*cue Lupe Fiasco, The Show Goes On beat* and then me in a very pitchy totally off beat voice *woaaah oh The List goes on...all night till the morning I read...*

Ivy wrote: "Well...
Emily Dickinson
J.K Rowling
Richelle Mead
Lauren Oliver
Jane Austen
Shel Silverstein
Alyson Noel
Scott Westerfield
Rick Riordan
Stephanie Myers (kind of like what Mist said but I also re..."

I actually have a Sarah Dessen book on my to-read shelf at the moment but I've been sort of hesitant to read it. It's 'What Happened to Goodbye'. Have you read it? Is it good? :)

message 6: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (iwanttocrawlintobookslivethere) | 24 comments ★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ wrote: "Ivy wrote: "Well...
Emily Dickinson
J.K Rowling
Richelle Mead
Lauren Oliver
Jane Austen
Shel Silverstein
Alyson Noel
Scott Westerfield
Rick Riordan
Stephanie Myers (kind of like what Mist said b..."

Yes I have!! I really loved it and I really love Sarah Dessen. She captures teenage girls really great and makes her books really realistic.. My most favorite by her is The Truth About Forever and Just Listen :)

Ivy wrote: "★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ wrote: "Ivy wrote: "Well...
Emily Dickinson
J.K Rowling
Richelle Mead
Lauren Oliver
Jane Austen
Shel Silverstein
Alyson Noel
Scott Westerfield
Rick Riordan
Stephanie Myers (ki..."

Cool! I'll try reading the one I have and then I'll look into getting those ones :)

message 8: by Cheyenne (last edited Sep 16, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Cheyenne (cheylaraine) Has anyone ever read The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan? He's by far my favorite author. The world he creates is amazing.

Other than that, I'm kind of a Lisi Harrison fan even though her books are a bit juvenile for me. Meg Cabot creates the best voice, though.

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (zomltrow) | 63 comments Cheyla wrote: "Has anyone ever read The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan? He's by far my favorite author. The world he creates is amazing.

Other than that, I'm kind of a Lisi Harrison fan even though..."

I read the first.... like 9 Rangers apprentice!

message 10: by yael (new)

yael I HAVE SO MANY FAVORITES I'M TOO LAZY TO LIST THEM ALL

Katie wrote: "Hahha Sketch, that was my reaction, too. But I don't have to go to school for another like 30 minutes cause we only have a half day today! It's amazing how an extra hour of sleep can do wonders to ..."

Those are some good authors :)

I read Stohl's and Garcia's first book, Beautiful Creatures, but I haven't read the second one even though I own it. Should I read it? Or will I be disappointed? I've heard so many different opinions on it, so I'm kind of scared :P

message 12: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 21 comments ones I can think of at the moment:

kurt vonnegut
john steinbeck
alexander dumas
victor hugo
michael crichton
stephen king
dean koontz
karin slaughter
ellen hopkins
greg iles
jodi picoult
george orwell
george r. r. martin

message 13: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 21 comments Ivy wrote: "Yes I have!! I really loved it and I really love Sarah Dessen. She captures teenage girls really great and makes her books really realistic.. My most favorite by her is The Truth About Forever and Just Listen :) "

I had never heard of sarah dessen, but when I was at the library book sale last week, I saw a book of hers and remembered that one of y'all had her on your list of favorites, so I got it. it was Someone Like You, and I really liked it! finished it that same day, and will definitely read more of hers. thanks for the introduction! :D

message 14: by JazzyCat (new)

JazzyCat (dayandnightgirl) Cheyla wrote: "Has anyone ever read The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan? He's by far my favorite author. The world he creates is amazing.

Other than that, I'm kind of a Lisi Harrison fan even though..."

I'm on the third one!!! :D Really good series yeah. :)

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Zeno (becca_zeno54) Karen Hooper, James Patterson, Suzanne Collins, and Stephanie Meyer. You guys should really read Karen's books though, they are really good, plus she is a new author :) She's my fav.

message 16: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Bross (adriennebross) I have way too many to list, though the ones that float to the top are Ray Bradbury, Clive Barker, J.R.R. Tolkien, Alexis de Tocqueville (mostly just for "Democracy in America"), and Mercedes Lackey. There are more, but I'm a little fried at the moment. ^^;

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments Definitely Jodi Picoult, Julie Cohen and Lee Child

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments Kirby wrote: "ones I can think of at the moment:

kurt vonnegut
john steinbeck
alexander dumas
victor hugo
michael crichton
stephen king
dean koontz
karin slaughter
ellen hopkins
greg iles
jodi picoult
george o..."

Haha yay to Stephen King!;D

message 19: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 21 comments Rachel wrote: "Haha yay to Stephen King!;D"

yes! AND to jodi picoult! :D

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie Herman | 3 comments David Clement and
Louis Lowry, two totally different writers, but I am a huge fan of their books!XD

message 21: by Janvi (new)

Janvi (discowing) J.K Rowling
Micheal Grant
John Green
Gemma Malley
Marissa Meyer
Veronica Roth
Suzanne Collins

These books I have fangurled over and are my absolute favorites . I would wait in a 24 hour line to get one of their books.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 24, 2012 02:44PM) (new)

Tolkien. He is now and will (more than likely) always be my absolute favorite!

The six-year-old me would also like to give an honorable mention to her favorite author:

Judy Blume

message 23: by Lbobzien (new)

Lbobzien | 3 comments My friend has been begging me to read The Ranger's Apprentice.

message 24: by Lbobzien (new)

Lbobzien | 3 comments JEFF WHEELER all the way!!!
Honorable mentions:
J.R.R. Tolkien
J.K. Rowling
Edward Eager
Roald Dahl
Brian Jacques
Lloyd Alexander
C.S. Lewis
Jane Yolen
Elizabeth George Speare
Catherine Cooper
Norton Juster
Lewis Carroll
Lemony Snicket
Margaret McAllister
Christopher Paolini

Sorry for the long list, but they're all great authors and I couldn't leave any out.

message 25: by Mir mir (new)

Mir mir | 1 comments I love JK Rowling, I don’t care if it’s cliche or otherwise, she’s a great author, and she deserves all the credit she gets. Harry Potter is what inspired me to write, and to love to read. If it weren’t for authors like her, and Rick Riordan, and Veronica Roth and Suzanne Collins, I wouldn’t be the imaginative, magic-believing person that I am today.

message 26: by Donald (new)

Donald Kirch (storywriter1967) | 1 comments Richard Matheson