Daily Diary discussion

How is no tv week going?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
So far it is going fine with me. Not that the outside world doesn't have its stresses, traffic, and other distractions but I've enjoyed the peace of no tv. :)

message 2: by Peanut (new)

Peanut Oops! It was this week? We'll I'm out as of Sunday. :)

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) We got a big, new flat screen TV. Can I get back with you next year? ;)

Thanks for trying though, Ed. Maybe we're hopeless.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
no problem. :)

message 5: by PageTner (new)

PageTner (407native) I don’t miss it so far. There isn't much if anything on TV I rush home to watch. I mostly surf when I watch or have it on the news or whatever just for noise. Quiet is weird, but I don't mind it.

I've been telling my friends for awhile that I wanted to see what it would be like to live without a TV so if this is successful I might keep it up just for the experience.

Tressa said "We got a big, new flat screen TV. Can I get back with you next year?"

This would definitely be a much harder challenge for ppl who live with other ppl or who have a big household or something. It's mostly just me when I'm home so I don't have to answer to anyone or be tempted by others viewing TV.

I was trying to think if I have ever gone an entire day without the noise of a TV and I cannot think of anytime when one wasn't on at some point every single day of my life since birth.

I just thought of two possible times. Camping. I've been camping twice during my lifetime and can't remember the noise of a TV during at least one day out of each camping experience. Other than that, it has always been on. Always.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) When I'm home alone I'd rather read or play on the Internet. I am one who cannot stand the sound of a TV playing in the background when I'm not there watching it. So, when we're not watching TV, it's turned off.

The older I get the more peace and quiet I want surrounding me. When I'm commuting to and from work sometimes I just want to hear nothing. This is especially true if I'm having a hard day. My husband doesn't like riding in a car unless some music is playing.

I will not watch TV during the day when I'm off from work. In the back of my mind I picture those slothful daytime TV watchers who keep the set turned on all day long as their life is sucked away by theme music, rolling credits, and game and talk shows. Shudder. I never want to be that person.

message 7: by Jim (last edited Feb 06, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Jim | 41 comments this morning's silence was great
I don't mind white noise but when there's not even that it's amazing how great the silence is

so a few more days to go
even big screen owners should be able to hold out

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I like the white noise of a fan...especially while sleeping. I wonder what it would be like to permanently get rid of the tv????

message 9: by PageTner (new)

PageTner (407native) Regarding white noise of a fan . . . me too. The louder the better. Unfortunately it's to the point I can't sleep without the noise.

I recently went out of town and had a hard time sleeping and thought if only I had the noise of a fan. I thought of turning on the bathroom light (this was a hotel room) which would have been perfect, because it sounded like a jet engine, but the fan only came on when you turned on the light. I thought of maybe unscrewing the light bulb, but it was a pretty tall ceiling and thought. . . better not.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker OK. I'll admit it. I watched my favorite TV show on the internet. I usually don't watch much TV other than that show, so this has been good for keeping me from wasting time flipping through the channels only to decide that there's nothing on and/or I should be doing homework. The real challenge will come tonight, which I usually give myself off, to veg out. But reading will do me some good.

message 11: by Candy (new)

Candy So far, the biggest change I experience is that I am not watching tv but I am also not feeling like being on the computer. It's as if my resolve for avoiding the screen has played overto the computer.

So far...I'm doing ok with no tv. I am doing a lot of little chores that I've sort of put on back burner or not interested or procrastinated. So they aren't super important things but they have become a priority and I am enjoying getting them done. The house feels good with these odd projects getting done.

Is anyone watching movies? Do movies count? Morally I don't see a difference between tv and movies. But it's great to get out of the house.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 41 comments Lori wrote: "OK. I'll admit it. I watched my favorite TV show on the internet. I usually don't watch much TV other than that show, so this has been good for keeping me from wasting time flipping through the ..."

why not go out with friends and have fun -may be there'll be other peole who haven't watched TV for the week/who read for fun/learning

it's friday already
only 2 days to go and for me each day, I find that I like my world without the TV on more and more

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Jim, During the semester, I don't get a lot of time where I can just read without feeling guilty. So, that's why I'm electing to read. Besides, I've spent all week with people and i recharge my batteries by reading/spending time alone. I'm weird like that...

message 14: by SassyMama (new)

SassyMama (sweet-sassycomcastnet) | 8 comments Can't believe I've spent this much time without the TV...I've accomplished so much this week...it's been great...I'll definitely have to do this every once in a while...for no other reason than to get through the many tbr book piles I have around the house...LOL

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Definitely great for me as well. I read so much more...I tried to stay away from the computer or limited that so I didn't use that to compensate for not tv. Enjoyed playing the piano more, walked more, and read more. :)