Young People Writing discussion

Writing Inspiration > What inspires you? Where do you get your ideas from?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ (rockclimbingirl) | 116 comments Mod
For me, there's so many things that inspire me. Different photos, sceneries, quotes, and life-experiences make me just want to write and write. There's a lot of people that inspire me too though. My friends, family, and English teachers, are always inspiring me to continue my writing on a personal level. Some of my favourite authors inspire me on a fan-based level, whether it's from what they've directly said to me, what they've posted on their websites, or just their own life stories of how they became who they are today.

As cheesy as it sounds, I get my ideas of what I write from dreams and from the research I do. If you ever read my stories, there's a duel meaning to it. Usually, while the villians and overall goal is completley different, they're based on real-life situations that happened in some point in time.

What about you guys? (:

I don't know why, but this always inspires me to write and read. I just love it and each time I read it, it makes me smile like a maniac.

http://littlemissdorkette.tumblr.com/...

message 4: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (iwanttocrawlintobookslivethere) | 24 comments Books, photos and music and expeirences... I get a lot of my ideas when I'm out walking cause it clears my head which is usually when the random ideas pop on in. I like to always keep a sketchbook or notebook with me to write ideas down. People also inspire me. People I know mostly but sometimes I'll see a random person and create a story for them. I guess a lot of different things inspire me :P

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Hatcher (emsterdove) | 3 comments I get my inspiration from life experiences. Coming from a teen in high school I feel that if I capture and write events that occur in my life as a high school student, one day I can turn them into a book that doesn't necessarily have to do with high school. For example, the dementors in Harry Potter represent J.K Rowling's depression. So turning a high school event (trying to not give in to drugs,etc) I can turn that into something totally different in my writting. That way I can get my emotions out, and change the world one book at a time (:

message 6: by Blujeanbooks96 (new)

Blujeanbooks96 (wwwgoodreadscomblujean_books96) | 11 comments Most of my inspiration comes from photos,music, scenes, quotes and 'what ifs'. Dreams fit in there too, whether it be 'wouldn't it be awesome if this happened' or actual dreams which I find extremely imaginative haha I have so many pages on this poor computer of phrases or paragraphs that have just popped into my head. Strangely though (and this has to be a symptom of bookiness) I often think 'I wish there were more book characters like my friend' or something haha but yeah :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Video games, other books, other peoples conversations. :)

Claire ~Cool Beans~ -Life is like a box of trout- wrote: "Video games, other books, other peoples conversations. :)"

I guess I get some of my inspiration from other peoples conversations too. I never really considered it a source, but actually it's quite true! (:

message 9: by Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, (last edited Sep 10, 2012 11:29PM) (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, I'm actually similar to you, Mist Cassidy. I Dream a lot. I have complete houses, fields, forests, bridges, and people in my subconscious where/whom I created without any outside influences aside from my own imagination. Then, I have houses, fields, schools, hospitals, forests, lakes, buildings, and people, (places and characters or actual people), who/that became concrete in my dreams from real-life experiences, reading books, watching t.v./movies, from other books, from my overactive connect-the-dots-web of imagination and insomnia and fears, from people's conversations, from the clouds and nature, from any and everything.

I used to have nightmares and nightmares. And they didn't go away. Even right now, if I just close my eyes or dwell on them I can see and remember them instantly. I have repeat dreams where they come back after having been silent for years, 5 years, 4, 7, ect. I read romance novels, Sci-fi, adventure, fantasy, paranormal, mystery, nonfiction, books meant for toddlers, children, young adults, and adults. Therefore everyone I've talked to assumed I'd write about Romance or Sci-fi or Adventure or Paranormal, ect, because these are the books I read most of. I read very few horror stories so one wouldn't assume but that's because I already have enough horror in my thoughts, memories and dreams. I don't need to read a lot of them, they're there in my subconscious. Like, if I was a fruit, if I peeled back the skin, the meat and fruit itself is the nightmares hoarded in my mind, always playing with me and wanting to come out; me, I'm the cowered pit of a fruit, the pit of a peach. It's a horror-fest all around me, a sinister jolly horrorland in my subconscious. It eats at you and fear spreads if you stay in there too long. I'd write Horror stories. And Thrillers. Dreams and frightening thoughts are what I'd write about.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

At lot of the time for me also is dreams and nightmares, often everyday life and my friends lives feature in it.

§♫♪♥Delaney♥♪♫§ Wants To Help K (krazytravelers) | 29 comments Same, dreams give me a lot of inspiration.

message 12: by JazzyCat (new)

JazzyCat (dayandnightgirl) Most of the time, my life. My depression, my daydreams, stuff like that.

message 13: by Grouphug (new)

Grouphug | 3 comments Music really inspires me, what I hear, from lyrics and from the stories of the people around me too. Being with the people I love, they usually give me ideas. Whatever they do, I fictionalize it!

message 14: by Bookworm2000 (new)

Bookworm2000 | 4 comments anywhere. sometimes I watch videos on YouTube and I think, 'hey, thats a good story idea!' or i might listen to a song and the words inspire me. I like daydreaming a lot, so sometimes i get ideas from that.
sometimes an idea just comes randomly!!!! its just too hard to explain... ;/

§♫♪♥Delaney♥♪♫§ Wants To Help K (krazytravelers) | 29 comments My life inspires e the most.

message 16: by yael (new)

yael Lots of things inspire me. Sometimes I just get my ideas by simply sleeping. Yes, I sleep of some of my ideas~

Usually old photos, art, society, friends & family, and my favorite authors are some that inspire me :)

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (KTeggart) | 4 comments Old poetry... Can't thank poetry enough for my ideas, Shakespeare inspired my Sins of Virtue Series.

I also find eavesdropping quite interesting...It's terribly rude, I know, but it can be a great exercise hearing a part of someones conversation in a supermarket and working out the backstory as you do your weekly shop.

Kids are great inspiration, my neighbours kids ask the questions noone else will and say the obvious answers. I had a character who got into a tricky situation and I couldn't think how to get her out of it...enter neighbours child of eight years old. I tell him of my prediciment and he tells me it's a shame she didn't have a bow and arrow... A little shimmy and rewording and she was free!

Katie wrote: "Old poetry... Can't thank poetry enough for my ideas, Shakespeare inspired my Sins of Virtue Series.

I also find eavesdropping quite interesting...It's terribly rude, I know, but it can be a great..."

Dont worry, I eavesdrop too. :P Old poetry is a great source of insipiration I got to admit. And kids are amazing. I love how blunt they are :P

§♫♪♥Delaney♥♪♫§ Wants To Help K (krazytravelers) | 29 comments T.V. is a big inspiration. Also your imagination.

message 20: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Bross (adriennebross) To be honest, my biggest inspiration is music. I can't begin to count the number of characters, scenes, and outright plots that have practically exploded in my head thanks solely to the melody of a certain song I happen to hear. I love it. I listen to music constantly, just in case something catches my imagination.

message 21: by Grant (new)

Grant (GrantJamesTurner) | 15 comments I am varied in where my inspiration comes from, sometimes it could be a film and I would think you know what I could write something that isn't too similar and add my own twists and turns. Sometimes dreams influence me and other times it is just a sheer lucky moment in time.

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan | 6 comments Music, I second that. I've written whole chapters to one song on repeat. So cool!

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan | 6 comments Karkat [Mindfreak] wrote: "Lots of things inspire me. Sometimes I just get my ideas by simply sleeping. Yes, I sleep of some of my ideas~

Usually old photos, art, society, friends & family, and my favorite authors are some ..."

Yeah, I also do this. I find a lot of my ideas come in that fragile state where you're waking up in the morning and you're not asleep but not awake. Or sometimes entire characters will come to me in real dreams.

message 24: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Bross (adriennebross) Megan wrote: "Music, I second that. I've written whole chapters to one song on repeat. So cool!"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. My husband (also a writer) and I have spent DAYS where we'll just listen to one song over and over to write out chapters (or, in his case, poems). The only downside is that we don't always agree on the music! lol

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Zeno (becca_zeno54) Other books, television, school drama, my imagination :)

message 26: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) ***Thoughtful music, especially classical or violin (Lindsey Stirling is awesome-- look her up on YouTube! Especially Shadows, Electric Daisy Violin...)
***Random music by random people. Song lyrics really perk my imagination sometimes.
***Things at school. Random experiences, things people say, assignments we have, Etc.
***old photographs. What's the story of the black-and-white family with the crippled daughter? What is the background of this little girl? ETC.

On and on and on...
mostly random stuff, but yeah, mainly music like I said

message 27: by Lot (new)

Lot (lot1) | 2 comments What an interesting question...well I can say very proud that the chocolate gives me inspiration to write something or to have ideas about what to write~

message 28: by Kelseyc (new)

Kelseyc I take inspiration from my life and the lives of my friends. Some of my friends have very interesting stories that need to be shared. I also get inspired by songs and song lyrics.

message 29: by Nattlez (new)

Nattlez | 1 comments Inspiration, for me, comes from many different places. Most of the time, it comes from things that I hear other people say and it makes me think of conversations that lead to the development characters who would say that and the possible situation they could be in.

message 30: by Danny (new)

Danny Runkel (dcrunkel) | 4 comments Gabri(Elle) wrote: "***Thoughtful music, especially classical or violin (Lindsey Stirling is awesome-- look her up on YouTube! Especially Shadows, Electric Daisy Violin...)
***Random music by random people. Song lyric..."

Another Stirlingite! Love that girl. She's a perfect inspiration.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

OK. I have way too many. I'll just give you all inspiration from movies and newspaper clippings.

MOVIES THAT INSPIRED ME:
Crimson Peak
The Avengers 1
The Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron
Thor 2: The Dark World

NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS:
Mostly mountain scenery and forests and black-&-white photos of the vintage era of my home state.