Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Jessica Z. *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2062 comments I picked this book up last week mostly because I've heard so many great things about it, here and elsewhere. Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't as amazing as all the hype.
There were two things that put me off it. One was the back cover was not detailed enough for me. It didn't mention terrorism, nor did it mention Josh's possible involvement. The other thing that was kinda weird for me was the road trip at the end with Josh's sister and her complete confession to a total stranger.
For those who were enthralled with this book, what was it that grabbed you? I did enjoy the writing and generally liked Jessica. I imagine I'll pick this author up again, but this one missed the mark for me.

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I completely agree with everything you just said Jennifer! I also thought the road trip was just bizarre and who makes such a confession like that to her dead brother's "ex" girlfriend? Weird! I had a hard time with the body scanning and the Dutch guy...just sorta creepy for me.

I did like the dialogue and some of the characters and I'll read another of his books but the ending of this one was just all wrong. How come we didn't get to read his letters about Jessica either?

message 3: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi I do admit the story was odd. But on the flip side it felt very real to me, which is what grabbed me. I could completely understand why the sister would confess to Jessica, since there was a certain air of anonymity there. I know I've confessed certain things to a stranger that I couldn't even imagine telling my best friend! I do agree with you Holli about the creepy factor. I was always waiting for something awful to happen during the scanning sessions.

Overall I liked it so much because I could somehow picture myself in the story, and could identify with different parts of all the characters.

message 4: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (Roxy_NJ) | 354 comments I thought it was totally rude for Jessica to keep bugging the sister about driving her this supposedly long distance just to look at something for a few minutes. I get the confess to a stranger thing but thought the overall road trip was a waste.

I felt like I missed something. By the end it seemed like everyone had some full circle in some sort of way, found the hidden meaning in things but I feel like I was left out. Not sure why everyone was satisfied.
I agree with Jennifer about the back cover ended up being very vague or misleading as to what the story would be about.

I like the way the conversations were all so basic, making it feel more real.

Over all, I thought the book was ok, but left me feeling like I missed something.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I'm agreeing with you all..there was just something missing from this book. Why all the hype? I kept thinking it would get better and I would be all intwined. Never happened.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 35 comments I am agreeing with everyone as well - it didn't live up to the hype. I started to feel that some things were just extraneous. Josh was confusing and I kind of wish something happened with him to uncover why he was such an enigma instead of being killed. I agree with you Shelby, I was waiting for everything to come full circle, and it just left me confused.

message 7: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2062 comments Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I actually *did* like the scanning/artwork because it was at that point that I thought Josh might be a head honcho bomber and that he was hiding his targets in the bodywork maps, but it didn't happen.
You're right, Holli! I forgot that Josh's family said he wrote them letters telling them all about Jessica. What kind of author dangles that in front of our faces without letting us read them! :)