Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > Weird fantasy crushes

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Researcher-a (new)

Researcher-a | 8 comments Does anyone else have weird/unexpected fantasy crushes? These can also be termed as 'borderline boilers'.

Mine has to be Ser Jorah Mormont (Game of Thrones). Hairy but weirdly hot. Anyone else?

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Corlath from The Blue Sword and Curran from Kate Daniels.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 1409 comments Corwin ... from Amber (the Chronicle's of)

message 4: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Eowyn from the LOTR movies.
Leeta Alexander from 'Babylon 5'.

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci Alright... my "strangest" are probably,

The Hound from ASoIaF
and Fiddler and Karsa from Malazan Book of the Fallen

message 6: by Traci (new)

Traci Btw, Researcher-a, not a weird choice at all. =)

message 7: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Sep 09, 2012 11:11PM) (new)

carol. | 2616 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Corlath from The Blue Sword and Curran from Kate Daniels."

^ Not weird. Weird would be Auntie Erra. ;)

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Quick Ben! But it would never work out....lol

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Corlath from The Blue Sword and Curran from Kate Daniels."

^ Not weird. Weird would be Auntie Erra. ;)"

Now that would be weird!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Not a book... and not quite fantasy (but, um, maybe it is)... but, when I was younger, I thought Riff Raff from Rocky Horror was sexy.

Looking back on it now I have no idea what I was thinking... but there ya go.

message 11: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1018 comments I've got a massive crush on Roland from The Gunslinger Dark Tower series. Love him, even though if he were real he'd probably kill me for being foolish. :D
I also have an extreme fondness for Mr. Quent from the The Magicians and Mrs. Quent series by Galen Beckett, which isn't really weird I guess (aside from the fact that he's fictional), he's otherwise a pretty normal dude... And Hyacinthe from the Kushiel's Dart set, which for me was weird as he's kinda more, I don't know how to say it... flowery, short, un-beefy? than I usually find myself liking. But I liked him a lot.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Young-Turner | 25 comments Kit★ wrote: "I've got a massive crush on Roland from The Gunslinger Dark Tower series. Love him, even though if he were real he'd probably kill me for being foolish. :D"

I just started book 3 of the Dark Tower series and I have a crush on Roland too! I'm sure he would find me pitiful and weak, though. :)

message 13: by ian (new)

ian | 2 comments Kvothe <3 from The Name of the Wind heehee

message 14: by Researcher-a (last edited Sep 18, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Researcher-a | 8 comments Some great (and a several slightly worrying) suggestions so far!

I forgot to mention older-lady-fancier, Tallanvor, from WoT. Maybe that's not too weird. For me the main male characters are really unattractive.
Rand: never there and needs to MAKE A DECISION.
Mat: too much dandling of tavern girls and too much paranoia about women in general.
Perrin: too beardy and too lumpy and a bit wet.
Lan: grumpy sod who ought to cheer up a bit.
Thom: What was Moiraine thinking?!!

message 15: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 35 comments Ash, from the eponymous Mary Gentle novel.

Which is weird, because if she were real and I met her, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stand her. Arrogant, overly aggressive, boneheadedly anti-intellectual and more interested in hitting people with bits of metal than in reading a book, and so on. We'd despise each other. But somehow, on the page, she's hot. Odd.

message 16: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments Lol! I was just thinking about this...my weird fantasy crush is Sandor Clegane, the Hound. I don't know why...well, maybe I do. He's rough and ruthless, yet he treats Sansa with more decency than any of the so-called knights. Plus, I have a weakness for big, strong guys with intelligence. And he is sharp...sword sharp, tongue sharp, see-through-the bull-shit-sharp.

message 17: by Traci (new)

Traci Mina wrote: "Lol! I was just thinking about this...my weird fantasy crush is Sandor Clegane, the Hound. I don't know why...well, maybe I do. He's rough and ruthless, yet he treats Sansa with more decency than a..."

=)
I think he reminds me of Brian de Bois-Guilbert (so looked that up) from Ivanhoe, another one of those characters you have no business liking...but I do.

message 18: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments Traci wrote: I think he reminds me of Brian de Bois-Guilbert (so looked that up) from Ivanhoe..."

Lol, yeah that's a humdinger to spell! But you're so right. I think both characters -- the Hound & Bois --are complex and intense, which helps turn them into dark, dark heroes or anti-heroes. And so tragic...sigh.

message 19: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Nicci from Sword of Truth series. I wished she was the main female character instead of Kahlan. She was a far more interesting and complex woman. Also Molly from the Dresden Files. Seems like a girl who would fit right in with my group of friends, and she's pretty hot.

message 20: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments James wrote: "Nicci from Sword of Truth series. I wished she was the main female character instead of Kahlan. She was a far more interesting and complex woman..."

Hmm, maybe writers feel more at liberty to take chances with characters who aren't the hero or heroine? Now you've got me thinking....

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16 comments Karigan G'ladheon from the Green Rider series and Ellysetta from the Tairen Soul series.

message 22: by Leah (new)

Leah (goodreadscomleahst) | 3 comments Here ya have it... Roland from Dark Tower series, Darkness aka Doyle and The Sluagh King aka Sholto both of the merry gentry series (just something about those tentacles and extra bits), Edward aka death from anita blake series, and Magnus from the mortal instruments series. mmm yeah :-)

message 23: by Richard (new)

Richard (asmodeon5348) | 35 comments Karen Murphy from The Dresden Files, and Miranda Lyonette from The Legend of Eli Monpress, strong willed women who don't compromise their beliefs whatever the situation.

message 24: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments Richard wrote: "Karen Murphy from The Dresden Files, and Miranda Lyonette from The Legend of Eli Monpress, strong willed women who don't compromise their beliefs whatever the situation."

Yes! I love reading stories with strong heroines :)

message 25: by Traci (new)

Traci Grey Mouser...yes...and not ages ago. Lol.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily | 95 comments Mildmay from Sarah Monette's Melusine (and the rest of the series)