The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

For Those Who Like to Write > Character Help

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments This is like writing help, but more character-oriented. Pretty self-explanatory.

The Original Fiction Mary-Sue Litmus Test <- This is incredibly helpful. Take it.

message 2: by Axela (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Axela | 415 comments I am excellent with female names that ring nicely and have a significant meaning if anyone needs names.

message 3: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Sometimes naming people can be haaaard :) :o

message 4: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments I just have troubles with last names. None of mine sound very plausible, if you know what I mean. Names, fine. I'm good with names, I mean, they usually already exist. My characters have rather simple names (Trey, Allan, Celia, Jake and Leo) and I'm happy with them… Although, since I haven't written anything yet, I keep forgetting Jake's name.

And last names… Trey doen't have one, and Allan's last name is Marsh, thanks to the Steampunk Name Generator, but I'm kind of screwed with the other three, because none of them are human, but they were born and raised on earth, so the question is, should I make them have odd, alien last names or normal-ish ones?

message 5: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Or, since they aren't human, they don't HAVE to have last names, maybe?

message 6: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Nah… I think it would be more logical for them to have last names because they look human (kinda), but I cannot thiiiiiiink rawr

message 7: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments I'll do my best to help. Have you any specifics on what the last names should mean?

message 8: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Not exactly. I think I'll come up with Celia and Leo's names myself, which leaves Jake, who should have a human name because he was raised on earth by humans with his brothers because… I'm not sure why yet. It had something to do with a snowstorm and Jake going blind. HALP.

message 9: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Sounds cool! Usually I'm good at coming up with last names but my mind is going blank right now!!

message 10: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments I thought for Jake:

If his full name is Jacob:
~Garrow
~Brooks
~Tyburski
~Burns

If not:
~Trotter
~McCleod
~Parkman
~Collingwood

If you need another set of suggestions, let me know.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Celia:

- Ellis
- Shaw
- Dunne
- Flynn
- Bauer
- Werner

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

My Steampunk name is Malekeh Hortense Bridges. I think I'll use that for a character!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

By the way, I think Bridges is a nice last name for Celia.

message 14: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Hmm… I like Brooks for Jake, although saying it aloud, at least with the treacherous mouth I have, would be like Jacobrooks. But yeah… I like it. And Bridges. Thanks, guys! :D

Also, my Steampunk name is Allie Bramble. I like Allie. It fits me better than my actual name :P

message 15: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Allie Bramble! That's a GREAT name!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Agnes Hopperton? Um, not sure that seems like the one for me...

message 17: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments *faints*
That's a BRILLIANT name. You guys are amazing!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I might just use some of these names...