We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Legalizing Drugs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think? Should we make drugs legal? Should we legalize all of them or just marijuana?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I personally think that all drugs should be legal. If we allow alcohol and cigarettes, it only follows.

message 3: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments hmmm...that's a pov i have never heard b4 erin. however, from that arises whether alcohol and cigarettes should b legal. i think alcohol should b legal as it doesn't have 2 b abused, a little is ok, but cigarettes idk about...i don't think drugs should b legal, including marijuana. they're awful substances that do awful things to ur mind and body.

message 4: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments A 2007 study by the Canadian government found cannabis smoke contained more toxic substances than tobacco smoke. The study determined that marijuana smoke contained 20 times more ammonia, and five times more hydrogen cyanide and nitrogen oxides than tobacco smoke.

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments ok then...u do that, dean.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments xactly. it would hurt u badly. it's not good 4 ur body, even if it's not addictive. it shouldn't b legal.

message 7: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments How can you say marijuana isn't harmful? I am really close with two people who do it and their lives are so screwed up because of it. One tried to kill themself multiple times. The other's health is failing and has extreme anger issues. They've both benn doing it since they were young, and it has definately harmed them. Drugs and cigarettes should not be legal, but unfortunately, cigarettes are never going to be illegal.

message 8: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i no y r they legal anyhoo?

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin Absolutely not! Drugs are bad! There's a reason people get in trouble for having them, what are you guys thinking? And, marijuana is VERY bad. Dean, go look it up.

message 10: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments seriously? how can you honsetly say marijuana ISNT harmful? do you live under a rock? ALL DRUGS ARE DANGEROUS!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin Thankyou Vivian!

message 12: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah, and that even includes the prescription ones 2....

message 13: by Cira (new)

Cira (loveistheanswer106) | 56 comments Actually Dean, I don't smoke any pot. Pot calms you down temporarily. It makes you feel better for a little while, like alcohol. One of the people I mentioned has bad depression. She smokes pot to make her feel better, but then the next day she feels a million times worse. Also, Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke, like Rachel said. Pot today is 10 times more potent than the marijuana used in the 70's. Marijuana is bad. So is acid, crack, cocaine, etc., but don't try to pass off marijuana as being harmless because it's not.

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments dean looks marijuana anywhere. even wikipedia. marijuana is bad .

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, marijuana is a bad thing. It is bad for people's bodies and minds. But what right do we have to ban it, when we already allow both alcohol and cigarettes? Both of these are "bad," by your definition. Both are addictive and harmful. So instead of being hypocritical, I think we should let people make their own choices.

Besides, how often do you hear about someone being killed over cigarettes? How about over drugs? Maybe if drugs were legal and managed by the government, the crime behind them would lower.

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i'm not saying cigarettes should b legal. but alcohol, if not overused, is ok. like sugar.

message 17: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments Dean: I disagree with you on the idea that "only crazy pot sucks". Pot is pot, no matter which way you roll it. (haha pun)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Vivian: actually, there is a difference. People put some bad things into pot that can make it a lot worse. It just depends what you get and who you're with.

message 19: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi (Koorinohi) well it all comes down to how it's used.it's true some doctors give it to cancer patients or people with other diseases, but it is dangerous, and those people who use it medically are told about the dangers and know what it could do to them in the long run. people who smoke pot for recreation on the other hand are usually smoking some kind of illegal mix of marijuana and something else that is also bad for their bodies, that hasn't been filtered and run through all the medical guidelines. and yes, just like all the other drugs, tobacco & Alcohol included, pot is addicting. if a person uses it for long enough, and often enough, their body will not function properly without it anymore. that is an addiction. all drugs are addicting.

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments ummm, no. breathing won't do anything bad 2 ur body (unless ur breathing in poison i guess...)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Pot isn't addictive. In my psychology class, we learned the difference between physical and psychological addictions. Pot may become psychologically addictive, meaning you may really want it all the time, but it will never be physically addictive, meaning you will go through withdrawal if you stop using it.

If weed was government regulated, it would be sure to be a clean, filtered product, that would be better for people. It just makes sense.

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments erin-so it's ok 4 a person 2 want pot all the time? that's healthy? i don't think so!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not healthy, I'm just trying to prove a point... at least pot isn't addictive, like cigarettes are.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin Drugs are bad, drinking is bad, smoking is bad. They're all addictive. They all are poison, and all of them are harmful and bad to the body. Dean, it's like you're saying, "There's a good kind of poison, and a bad kind, you can have the good kind and it's harmless." I don't think you really know what you're talking about...do you speak from experience or something?
And, you hear about deaths and injuries from drinking and smoking all the time. Smoking gives lots of people cancer, ruins lots of people's voices, kills them, messes up how they smell and look. Drinking kills many drunks, and many innocent people. Need I be more specific? Being on drugs and drinking causes some of the other stuff we argue about.

message 25: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yep. robin summed that up well.

message 26: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments I think all drugs and cigarettes should be illegal. Alchahol should just have a proof limit, but it's fine in small doses

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

If cigarettes are legal, than drugs should be. Alcohol for sure should be legal... we already tried outlawing it once, and look what happened.

message 28: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments cigarettes should not b legal, though. alcohol should b, especially as it is ok as long as u r responsible!!!

message 29: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments exactly :)
and i would rather make cigarettes illegal than drugs legal. thats just a no brainer.

message 30: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments who was the wise guy who made cigarettes legal?

(note: guy means man, right? then y r 'wise guy' and 'wise man' opposite? just noticed that...)

message 31: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments hmmm interesting...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

But why make drugs illegal? What good reason is there?

message 33: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments uhm because they're harmful to the body spirit and mind, they impair ppls judgement, they break up famalies, they're addictive and they basically ruin ppls lives

message 34: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah that's all. nuthin 2 bad i no erin**.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

But shouldn't it be up to an individual if they want to destroy themselves? Why should the government control that? Besides, if taken responsibly, drugs can be used occasionally for a good time.

message 36: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments erin, ppl sometimes need help with realizing that life is good. if they're dead, they can't get that help. drugs kill. and overdoses r pretty common.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Cars kill. Airplanes kill. Even cows kill. It doesn't mean we should get rid of all of these thing, does it?

message 38: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments Those things don't have ppl willingly ruin their lives

And if you really wanna ruin your life I bet you don't care if it's legal or not

message 39: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments pot is still a drug. It's like a worse version of cigarettes.
Cigarettes have killed millions of people, if pot was legal it would only make the problem worse

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

But pot isn't physically addictive. No nicotine. So people could stop at any time using will power alone.

message 41: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments alot of things aren't physically addictive. video games, love, anorexia, shopping, going to parties, and so on. but that doesn't mean they aren't physcologically addictive. if people like the way it makes them feel, they'll do it more. its that simple.

message 42: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments and computers...*cough*

message 43: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments i say like colbert

No to medical marijuana! :D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

A study in Germany was censored [by the government:] on pot in the last century [God forbid I remember when. I'll check it a little later:].

Scientists found out that either cigarettes or alcohol were more dangerous than marijuana.

Another thing: besides psychotic breaks if you take too much, cardiac conflicts, and sometimes short term memory loss, marijuana really doesn't do much harm unless you take a lot of it.

Its safer than most medications. It does a lot more than calm you; it can reduce seizures, Parkinson's, headaches, and nausea. [other things too:].

I think if it were to be legalized [which it probably won't:] it should be strictly regulated, in the least.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicely said. I agree with you on all points.

message 46: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I'm not absolutely positive where I stand on this subject. As a libertarian, I believe in minimal, to no government control, which would mean legalizing drugs. I think it's a good idea to legalize them so that they pay taxes on it and we get their tax money.

However... I also think that if we legalize them we'll create more addicts, which will make addiction a bigger problem. Instead of being frightened of getting into legal trouble, people who want to do drugs will end up doing them, creating more addicts than there presently are.

There are two sides to this, sadly, so I have a hard time with this one.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

You bring up good points on both sides. However, I have to say that I think the pros outweigh the cons. On one hand, we have another source of income for America. We can tax it, regulate it so that it is safer and cleaner, and hopefully cut down on violence related to drugs. But on the other hand, there would be more of a problem with addicts, it's true. Maybe we could use some of the extra money we gain to fund more programs for recovering addicts.

message 48: by Jayda (new)

Jayda That's how I feel right now. And perhaps that programs would work... But if we legalize the drugs do we really tink that addicts would want to quit, since it's not illegal anymore? I'm not sure...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

People want to quit smoking when it starts ruining their lives. Hopefully drugs would go the same way.

message 50: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Hopefully!

« previous 1