The Writers' Association discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new)

L Hit a brick wall? Here is a discussion dedicated to that dreaded 'writers block' where you find yourself unable to pour any more ideas onto paper, where you are stuck and where you don't know how to continue on your current project.

Post your ideas, tips and images here for helping those with writers block. Also, if it helps have a 'Free-write' and just write whatever comes to mind (it does help!)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

What I do when I have writers' block is I make a random list of ideas for completely different topics. Then, later, I can refer to the list and say, "Oh, if I changed ______________ it would work in my current story." Or just writing a bunch of random short stories to reference to later.

Getting a change of scenery can also help.

message 3: by L (new)

L Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tips
*Write something: anything, whether it is about the weather outside or a poem. Just something different.
*Go for a walk and get some fresh air and excersise
*Take a break. Switch off and do something entirely different for a while so that you give your brain time to re-energize.
*Have a hot beverage. Tea or coffee is popular.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Coffee (caffeinated) is good if you're writing an adventure, fantasy, or mystery. Tea is good for romance, chick-lit, or historical fiction.

Just my own personal experience. :)

message 5: by L (new)

L Oh dear, that is where i have been going wrong! I recently had to write a short-story of fantasy genre to a deadline and consumed a lot of tea whilst working on it, hence i did face a brick wall several times. I am not sure if it was because i was out of ideas at the time or just because i was over tired, as i had attempted about a thousand words a day which for me is a new thing.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

For some reason, it works!
One of life's greatest mysteries.

message 7: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (l_e_fitzpatrick) | 7 comments Catalina *The Cat Herself* wrote: "Coffee (caffeinated) is good if you're writing an adventure, fantasy, or mystery. Tea is good for romance, chick-lit, or historical fiction.

Just my own personal experience. :)"

This may explain my books now - a liquid coffee diet has corrupted my mind! Or improved it, who knows.

message 8: by L (new)

L When one has 'Writers block' do NOT let them within inches of a pile of paper...no paper!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 8 comments Usually, when I have writers block I would look for inspirations...books, a word, a title, a picture, etc. And I sometimes ask my family or friends for ideas.

message 10: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (l_e_fitzpatrick) | 7 comments Normally I read a good book in the same genre. I always find good literature inspires me and puts me back on track.

message 11: by L (new)

L Inspiration can be found from everyday life around you. Looking out a window, going for a walk in the town or countryside or observing other indaviduals around you interacting with others and living their daily lives.
Inspiration can also come from reading other authors work and seeing many different perspectives and angles, takes on a genre (preferably the genre that you are trying to write in). Look at their style of writing and what element you think make it so readable, interesting and gripping. Focusing on all the miniscule details helps you to really examine and be quite brutal when proof-reading your own work - seeing it from another person's eyes, so that you can detatch yourself from those feelings that a writer has towards their own creation.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

That little flashing bar though when you aren't typing annoys the very being of me.